“Very pleasant surprise”

Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in DeLand
New Jersey
“Very pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here late last year. The staff were incredibly friendly, the rooms are nice and the hotel is within walking distance of DeLand's main attractions. Only issue we faced was getting back into the hotel late at night since they did not have a overnight doorman. I'm sure they have that taken care of now. Highly recommended.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Sarah T, Public Relations Manager at Artisan Downtown, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Hello Itinerant_Gator,

Thank you for your very kind review of our hotel. I apologize, again, for the trouble you and your wife encountered getting back into the hotel at night. We immediately started offering a 24-hour service desk in order to resolve that issue. I hope you and your wife come back to visit us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 8 March 2014

I live in DeLand and therefore haven't stayed in the Artisan Inn (although these experienced hoteliers have been in DeLand for years), I must rave about the food! We stopped in for dessert after doing the Bike Fest and the bread pudding (I know, but it was GOOD) was fantastic. Just the right amount of moisture, not mushy or hard as a rock. Speaking of hard, the sauce wasn't but it was very nice, with enough to finish the item without a lot left over. My partner had the
Balushahi, which I would call somewhat granola-like (w/o the grains) with whipped cream and a raspberry coulis drizzle. Excellent coffee and chai tea rounded out our evening. Good service was provided by Lindsey, who was vivacious in every sense of the word. SQUARE 1 is my new favorite place to go out in DeLand.

Room Tip: There are only eight, so reserve early.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah T, Public Relations Manager at Artisan Downtown, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Hi Eric,

Thank you for your kind review of our restaurant and restaurant staff. We recently transformed the restaurant portion of the building into a brand new expansive lobby, meeting room, and retail space. Now our guests will be greeted by a lobby space that features the same streamlined décor and organic colors and textures that are found in our rooms. Though you will no longer find the desserts you mentioned in your review, Square 1 Bar still offers the hospitality you mentioned on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights. We hope you and your partner come by to visit the Square 1 Bar and check out the new renovations soon!
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 31 January 2014

We stayed at the Artisan for 4 days in January. What a fantastic concept - nicely appointed suites and a very fine restaurant to boot - all in a perfect location in DeLand! There are a few things that need to be improved - like making sure toiletries are refilled/replaced every day - but for a newly-opened hotel, everything was great and I expect it will get even better. The staff is very friendly and anxious to help, no doubt due to the great leadership of Hina Patel and her sister, Sara who run the place. They make you feel special, and a member of their family. The restaurant served up some wonderful lamb chops and a number of other entrees with an Indian flavor, but not too spicy unless you ask for it. Chef Jason is great! He even made up a special Bananas Foster for us that was out of this world! If you are planning a visit to the DeLand/Daytona area, consider staying at the Artisan! It's great!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank TVMarty
Hi TVMarty,

Thank you for your excellent review! We are very happy that you came to stay with us in January. Thank you for the feedback about the toiletries. We are so glad that our owners, Sara & Hina, made you feel like a member of the family. We hope to see you again the next time you visit DeLand!
Kirkland
Reviewed 21 January 2014

I recently stayed at The Artisan Inn for two nights while in DeLand on business. My experience was simply wonderful! The small "suite" rooms (with a sitting area and attached bedroom) are comfortable, well-appointed, professional, high-quality and very conducive for working and/or relaxing after a long day. The in-room wifi was great, and the fluffy duvet and comfortable bed made for a great night's sleep! I agree with the reviewer who likened the ambiance to the chic boutique nature of a Kimpton property--that is a great comparison! The property is a newly renovated historical building in downtown, so all of the facilities feel fresh and clean while preserving some of the charm of an old building. The Inn is managed/owned by two sisters, both of whom are so gracious and hospitable! It felt more like visiting an old friend than staying at a hotel, and that level of personal attention and service is just so wonderfully refreshing! A perfect example of this care and attention came one cold morning (the temperature dropped into the 30's while I was there!) during my stay. As I was leaving to go out, Sara (one of the owners) realized I was ill-prepared for the cold temperature. Without even hesitating, she loaned me her personal pashmina scarf to take along on my outing to help me stay warm. Wow! What a perfect testament to the care and attention they are putting into their business and their customers! It really made me feel good. I did not have an opportunity to try the restaurant, but will gladly try it next time with confidence. Whenever I am fortunate to be back in DeLand, I will definitely stay at The Artisan. As someone else noted, they offer the "best room in town."

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Kim G
Hi Kim,

Thank you for staying with us back in January and for your very kind review. We are so glad that we were able to offer the hospitality of a friend and that you were able to get a comfortable night’s sleep in our room. You are always a friend of the Artisan Downtown staff! We hope to see you very soon!
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We went to deland to see a band what a place they could not have been nicer.The sisters that run the place are so caring to your needs.My sister and I were treated like queens THANK YOU. Good restaurant and the only hotel within walking distance to downtown We will be back and the other staff is just as kind

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank marez96296
Thank you, again, for choosing to stay at Artisan Downtown. We are so happy that you and your sister felt like queens! We hope to see you again next time you visit DeLand.
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Boutique hotel with 8 rooms in a century building in downtown DeLand. Recently renovated and opened under new ownership right after Thanksgiving 2013.

The decor will remind you of a Kimpton property like the Monaco or Allegro if you have ever been to either of those. Very modern & chic, but not over-the-top. It is difficult to believe that the floors are the original hardwood, but I'm told they are.

You'll most likely get to meet the owners...who also run the restaurant (Indian food...we heard from others in town that it is great, but didn't get to try it since we were in town visiting family) and bar.

Bar / nightclub on first level was very good. Wine was VERY reasonable, and good. I loved the Malbec and my wife preferred the Cab. The staff was very friendly, especially Rachel, the bartender. Nightly entertainment was very good as well. Not a loud thumping band...a couple of guys with a guitars who knew a lot of great songs.

Location is perfect if you want or need to be near downtown or Stetson University.

Of all the hotels in the area we considered (my wife is VERY picky), this appears to be the best room in town. The price is more than reasonable based on what you are getting. Our expectations were certainly exceeded.

Ideal for business travelers, couples, or solo travel. Room 308 (pictures attached) has a sofa bed in the sitting room.

We will DEFINITELY stay here again next year.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center and there is no room service
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JamaicaMon2006
Hi JamaicaMon2006,

Thank you so much for this excellent review! We are so glad you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, and we are glad you enjoyed the wine selection at our Square 1 Bar. We will be sure to pass along your kind words to Rachel. We look forward to seeing you again when you come back to town this year.
Also consider these accommodations in or near DeLand
Hampton Inn & Suites Deland
Alling House Bed and Breakfast
Orange City Motel
Orange City Motel
#3 of 5 in Orange City

Been to Artisan Downtown? Share your experiences!