“Unique & inspired Latin food”
Review of De La Vega

De La Vega
Reserve with OpenTable
De La Vega is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 184 Restaurants in DeLand
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I have been to De La Vega twice and thoroughly enjoyed my food both times. Chef Nora combines ingredients that are surprising and bold, and result in amazing flavors. I went the first time for dinner after being dissed by Cress (long story). We were hungry and wanted GOOD food, not chain restaurant. I happened to see the De Le Vega sign. We went inside and fell in love. The first visit we had several excellent bottles of Spanish red, and shared many dishes at our table. We had the nopalitos, the banderillas, avocado grilled salmon, black bean soup, tortilla soup, and flan for dessert. Everything was incredible, fresh, and service was great.

The second time we went was a little different. I was excited for the lunch tapas menu because half-portions are available. I love to taste lots of little dishes without getting stuffed, and of course the prices are almost half as well. When we got there, we learned on weekends they don't put out the lunch menu at all. We were given the dinner menu, where half portions are not available. I was disappointed by this, since this meant I could not try nearly as much of the menu for budget purposes. That's one of the reasons we love to go out for lunch instead of dinner.

BUT the food was just as good as last time. We shared an order of nopalitos (grilled cactus with pineapple, cheese, etc.), and they were maybe even better than the first time. My other half got the pollo con mole, and I got the hibiscus tacos. Their mole sauce is incredible, and I couldn't stop picking off his plate. But the hibiscus tacos stole the show. Totally unexpected, the hibiscus is so flavorful and meaty. He asked me twice whether or not there was chicken on the tacos. The tacos are full of cheese and a large portion. It's so rich; definitely a sharing dish.

All in all, wonderful place to get delicious unique food. Yes, it's a little pricy but totally worth it for the quality.

1  Thank AngieEatsnDrinks

Reviewed 19 September 2013

very nice and comfortable atmosphere, being able to sit inside or outside is plus. The service is great, the food is tasty and out of the norm and the use of fresh products is what makes everything taste so good! I take all my friends there to experience unusual appetizers and tastes that are still delicious and not too spicy but have a nice bite. The sangria is also very refreshing on a sumer day..

Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

Food was very good, but they give you very little for a high price. Not good for this area. I was surprised when they brought the food out as to how little there was. I understand gourmet cuisine and am well traveled, but in DeLand, i was very Disappointed.

1  Thank Jmercado083
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This little restaurant is right downtown. Their mole` sauce is the best. Local art enlivens the walls. Nice service.

Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

I came in the about 2 months maybe 3 months ago and the food was excellent it was served from the presentation was wonderful and the chef came out and was very friendly I believe his name was ShawnI came back in last month only to be greatly disappointed with the quality of the food then I proceeded to ask about the show and apparently he got fired I don't know why companies fire the best chef that they had just to keep there illegal immigrants working there

3  Thank Justin H

Been to De La Vega? Share your experiences!