“Fantastic!”

Berkshire by the Sea
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had read reviews on this place, as I always do, and they were excellent so I was looking forward to my stay. I had stayed at Berkshire on the Ocean a couple years ago, which I believe is a sister resort, and there's no comparison! I've stayed in a lot of timeshares in southern FL, and this was the best by far. Check-in by Ricky was very efficient and accommodating. We arrived around 1 pm, and we knew check-in wasn't until 4. Ricky said to feel free to go to the pool and he'd find us when he room was ready. He did that within 15 minutes!

We were pleasantly surprised by the accommodations and we stayed in one with the older furniture - we heard they had updated some of the rooms with more beachy decor. It had a good sized bedroom, dining area, living room with deck (and we had an ocean view!), and then I found the kitchen a little while later, which was an entire separate room as in a house. I had never seen that before in a timeshare. It also had sliders off the kitchen, which I didn't understand since it just led to the outdoor walkway, but it did let a lot of light into the kitchen. If you want privacy, you have to close all the blinds because there are windows everywhere!

After checking in, we returned to the pool, which was beautiful! There are actually two pools - one salt water - but they were working on the salt water one all week. We met many nice people out at the pool throughout the week. They're all owners and return every year and have a reunion. We loved it so much that we wanted to buy a unit, which was amazingly inexpensive; however, we finally decided that we'd rather go to different places and maybe exchange for there again in a couple years.

The best part of the whole thing was the location. Atlantic Avenue, which is THE street in Delray with all restaurants, shops, etc. is just a couple buildings away. It literally takes 5 minutes to walk there, which we did often.

I would recommend this resort to anyone and can't wait to return!

Room Tip: The D building is the newest and most desirable, and ocean view is the best unless you want a pool o...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank meow5834

Reviewed 3 October 2013

Loved our stay & can't wait to return! Of course, while driving in we read all the Trip Advisor Reviews. Walked in to check in a few minutes before four & read the embroidered name on the shirt--Ricky. Ricky was jovial and made check-in a quick process. Hubby & I could not contain our giggles. Later, daughter & I were checking out the pool, and another employee was changing a torn grip on the entry bar. I asked for a pizza recommendation and got a great one from Kerry.

We loved that this was a well-established resort that has been lovingly taken care of over the years. Everything looks new & is very clean. What other say about pools is true: clean with
plenty of toys & places to sit.

Bring your bike & walking shoes...great paths for walking along the coast.

My only complaint is that there's no in-room washer/dryer like the other RCI places we've stayed, but the on-site coin laundry is inexpensive.

We fell in love with BBTS & Delray. We especially loved that we could walk EVERYWHERE and could take The Downtowner for $1 per person if we needed a lift (561-702-8519). We hope to make it back to this lovely place.

Room Tip: Buildings A, B, C capture the essence of a FL vacation but only A has views of ocean-- better if you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JRaeJ
Reviewed 18 September 2013

Our stay at the Berkshire started off by meeting Ricky. After a long flight and a short nights stay at the Best Western, we rented a car and took the back road to the Berkshire knowing that they would probably not let you check in until 2 Pm or later. When we arrived, we asked about checking in and in a very disrespectful tone Ricky growled " 4 pm is check in time " First impression was not very good. When we did check in, Ricky was not on duty. We were assigned to unit #D-137 on the third floor. Because of a tree, we had a partial view of the pool and a partial view of the ocean.
The unit is fairly well maintained, the popcorn ceiling gives away the age of the complex. The furnishings were adequate and all the appliances were fine. Our only complaint in the kitchen was the pans from Italy. The food sticks to the pan even with oil. So, bring a can of Pam with you. Our bed was very comfortable and the bathroom is separate from the shower and toilet which is great but as always, the vanity is small.
We did a fishing charter while we were in Delray and the morning we left for the charter we looked outside and noticed water gushing from a pipe near the gate to the pool. I left a phone message with the front desk and when we returned we wanted to check and see if my message had been received. Well, Ricky was on duty and when we asked if he received my message he said yeah it's fixed. No explanation of what the problem was or any words of thanks for reporting the problem.
All in all, we enjoyed our stay and had a great time at the beach.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NevadadbaBrew
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We so enjoyed our stay at BBTS. We were in a 1 bedroom unit on the 3rd floor bldg. D and had a great view of the ocean and the pool. It's true, the beach is just a short walk across the street. We arrived on Aug 31st and the ocean water was beautiful. By the end of the week, seaweed and jellyfish were washing up on shore. They say this is caused by a disturbance in the Atlantic on occasion. The pool was the highlight of everyone's stay. We've never spent so much time in a pool. Very spacious, clean and a perfect temp. There were several folks that return yearly and we so enjoyed floating in the pool and making new friends. The room was excellent. Clean, spacious, nice décor and the kitchen had every utensil/pots and pans that one would need. The location was great, short walk to Atlantic Ave which had such a variety of food and shopping. I suggest renting a car so you can take in the sites all around. South Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Pompano, etc are a short ride. Take the scenic A1A at least once but I-95 gets you anywhere much quicker. The resort also had a nice rec room with pool table, ping pong, fooseball, computer, TV and all sorts of information on the area. Ricky even called our room to make sure we were satisfied and asked if we needed anything. Upon leaving, he asked for good and bad comments as they strive to make your stay pleasant. Only complaint I had was there was no printer by the computer to print your airline boarding passes. The printer is in the lobby and it closes by 5pm so print them early. This place really is a gem. I would recommend to anyone and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 134 was perfect. Nice view of ocean and pool. Had sun in the morning till 10ish, then shaded...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Laurie M
Reviewed 9 September 2013

This is the perfect place to stay. A lot of the people there come every year at the same time and were very friendly and helpful. We exchanged emails and facebook names with several of the other guests. Ricky, the man at the front desk during the days at first seemed not so friendly, but as the week went on he turned out to be very friendly and very informative and VERY helpful. The hotel/resort has carts that can be used to take your stuff to the beach which proved to be very helpful. The beach is just a short walk across the street and we could also see the ocean from our room. The room says it holds a maximum of 4 adults. There were two female adults in my room and anymore would have been entirely too crowded. We stayed in a one bedroom unit in building A. The room had a tiny kitchen that was workable a small bathroom with a shower and the bedroom had a long two door closet with a dresser, two nights stands, a small TV and a safe inside the closet. The other sleeping area was a murphy bed. The murphy bed turned out to be a better sleeping bed than the bed in the bedroom. The only problem with the murphy bed was it pulled down right in front of the patio doors so that you couldn't get out to the patio once the bed was down. The room also had a combo living/dining room. For me, it was almost too crowded for two friends traveling together. Maybe it might have been better if I had been there as a couple, but it worked out alright because we were hardly ever in the room. We spent more time at the pools than the beach as the beach was full of Jellyfish. The rules say that the pool closes at dusk but the lights stayed on until 10:30 I believe and you could swim all night long if you chose to do so. The "regulars" were a lot of fun and hung around the pool most of the time also, so we got to know them pretty well by the end of the week. They gave us a ton of towels to start with and replaced them all on Tuesday, so we never ran out of anything. I think they will clean your room if you ask, but I prefer not having staff in my room during my stay, so it worked out for me that they only cleaned after checkout. I felt our room was a little dated, but was told that they are updating the rooms daily. The room was very clean and comfortable. No pool bar or restaurant, so everything had to be brought from your room. There were tons of left over pool "toys", rafts, noodles, chairs, etc. that could be used by whoever got there first. Washer/dryer on site at the cost of $.75 per load for each.. Very close to Atlantic Avenue, but not as close as I was made to believe. I told them I was handicapped and couldn't walk that far and they told me I would be fine so I didn't rent a car. After walking for a long, long time Saturday night, I rented a car on Sunday. All in all, Berkshire is a wonderful place to stay and I definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank pattikellner
Reviewed 3 August 2013

I read the great reviews on BBS previously, so I was hopeful upon checking in. The outside looks - regular. No surprises from those reviews though, this is an amazing place to stay. We faced the ocean with a view of the sunrise. I had to laugh upon check in as a Mr. Grumpy Pants wanted carpet in his "exchange" and was rudely voicing his opinion to the front desk. I do hope he moved on because this resort is superb - clean, nice furnishings, AWESOME location....but no grumpies allowed. If you are wanting thick carpet and someone to unload your car...well, no, it isn't here. If you want a lovely location, amazingly nice people, and a clean, upgraded room - this is it. I hope to bring my family back for years to come.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie8575
Reviewed 28 June 2013

My parents and I have been staying at BBS for over 20 years, last time being june/july 2012. It has been recently refurnished and reacconditioned in many ways. The place offers top family tranquility and great accesibility to the beach. Apartments are kept immaculatey clean and the administration staff is really helpful and kind. The place is always full with families, the only drawback being that children abund and they can sometimes become a bit noisy and loud in the afternoons. But the resort is really peaceful and quiet in the evenings/nights. It is a short walk away from Atlantic and all the fun and an easy ride to the big malls and Boca Raton area.
If you want a nice and relaxed evening you can count on all the BBQ to make your own party. And the view from most of the balconies is stunning: front seat on the beach.

Room Tip: The newer buildings are more spacious and roomy whereas the older ones are more quaint.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Delray Beach I-95
Wright by the Sea
Wright by the Sea
#1 of 15 in Delray Beach

Been to Berkshire by the Sea? Share your experiences!