“Will NOT be back!! This resort should rename themselves "No Exceptions"”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Dover House

Dover House
Minnesota
“Will NOT be back!! This resort should rename themselves "No Exceptions"”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 December 2012

My husband & I vacation 3-4 times a year, sometimes alone & sometimes with family. This trip was just my husband & I.

The good: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION!! This "resort" was within walking distance of everything great Delray Beach has to offer. It is footsteps from the beach & a short walk to many fine & casual dining facilities & really fun bars.

The ok: The units are average & adequate. No more, No less.

The bad: Nothing is provided. Nothing. Run out of toilet paper? go buy some. dishwasher detergent? paper towels? go buy them. Need a boarding pass printed? Find the library.

The Ugly: The manager Debbie's manner is HORRIFIC! Our flight arrived at 5:45 am & check in is 4pm. This is standard everywhere, but being that our flight was so early, my husband asked if there was any way to get an early check in. "absolutely not. 4pm, no exceptions" was what he was told. He said he understood that was policy, but if a room opened early or if ours could be put further up on the list that would be great. She interupted him to say that she "is the manager & WILL NOT BUDGE" A simple, "we can't promise, but will do our best" would have appeased us as it is the usual response. We are understanding well traveled people & werent asking for the moon here, a simple we will do our best goes a long way. Even at 4pm, if we felt they tried, we'd have had no complaint. Since she was so rude & unwavering, my husband called the management company who was very willing to apologise, & accomodate our request. She gave us a guaranteed 10 am check in. Far above & beyond what we were asking.

The policy book in the room is a list of "rules" & after each one states "No Exceptions" It's just so unfriendly & unwelcoming.

Although the management company made it right & the staff (other than Debbie) were great, I can't possibly bring myself to go back to a place that employs a manager so unwilling to compromise with a guest (or even pretend to). There are way too many options in South Florida which we are accustomed to staying with. This place had an opening so we gave it a try.

Ditch Debbie & we'll be back.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sunandfunMinnesota

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2012

We are staying at the Dover House in Delray Beach for the first time. Our apartment looks good and is very livable. The kitchen has all the appliances you need. Plenty of towels, with towel exchange available Tuesday and Thursday. Our unit had very good lamps for reading, two in the living room, plus the bedside lamps are three-way. The living room and bedroom have good ceiling lights with fans. The grounds are very nice, with plantings that make it seem secluded. There is a decent pool. This is not a resort with activities and lots of amenities, but we were not interested in that. There are 2 large flat screen TVs, a very comfortable king size bed, and an amazing amount of storage space. This would do for a longer term stay.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 1939MidwestLady
Scottsdale, Arizona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

The Dover House is the darling pink, Bahamian style property on A1A at Miramar, right near Boston's. This vacation was my sixth stay at Dover and it was so unpleasant, it will be my last.

True, you can't beat the location. Although most of the rooms do not have views, it is right across the street from the ocean and a block from "the Avenue." And, yes, the rooms have been updated, although there are no exhaust fans in the bathrooms and the rooms are very dark because of low ceilings and poor lighting.

I was disappointed in the condition of the property. Outside it looks shoddy, for example: the windows were covered with grit and film, the outdoor chairs, also dirty, and there was green mold growing on the steps to the office and second floor. The worst of it was, at check in, our room had dirty floors, and hairs on the shower walls, in the tub, on the floors.

I was told the "resort" was booked full so I couldn't be moved to another room and that there would be no housekeeping staff onsite for three days. They could not give me rags, a mop, or vacuum to clean it myself. I was offered a pile of new wash clothes, and a "complimentary" cleaning when the cleaning company returned for work on Monday. I checked in on Friday, which meant staying in an unsanitary room all weekend.

The wood floors in my unit were so dirty, I cleaned them myself with a mop I had to go purchase 10 minutes outside of town. I hate housecleaning and part of the joy of a vacation for me is that I get a break from cleaning and driving.

Apparently, Dover House outsources the housekeeping. A company comes M-F. And there isn't even so much as a vacuum cleaner on site after 3 PM on Friday. Not only is it not really a "resort" but it's not really a "hotel" either. They've gone the way of vacation rentals in that there is no cleaning service on site. And the cleaning service they have is a joke.

Unless you don't mind over paying for a dark, dirty room with very little privacy, skip this resort. Try Crane's Beach House, or The Colony Club, that's where I ended up going instead. I think the days of the Dover House being well-managed are over.

Room Tip: Stay at Colony Club. You can't make any requests for rooms at this property until check in and...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank EcoSmart

Travellers are raving about these Delray Beach hotels

Kansas City, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2012

Our in-laws gifted us a week at the Dover House through the family's RCI membership.

My husband and I invited my younger brother to tag along.

The Dover House was JUST as we expected. Not too big, not too small. It's located RIGHT across the street from the beach. Our 2nd floor view was stunning.

They supplied beach towels and the laundry facility was easy to use ($1.50 per machine/per cycle). We brought Tide Pods and dryer sheets and this made washing clothes a breeze.

Security patrols at night for safety and we saw him actively walking around, not just sitting like a bump on a log. The office lady was sweet. However, she was older and seemed confused about questions about technical things.

They supplied us with dish soap and 2 uses of dishwasher detergent. 2 rolls of toilet paper. Paper towels and a few garbage bags.

If visiting and planning on cooking....pack salt and pepper. We forget this.

The sofa sleeps ONE person comfortably...or maybe 2 small kids...but wouldn't sleep 2 adults unless they were seriously anorexic.

There IS an iron and a hair dryer hidden in the bedroom closet.

The jacuzzi tub in the bathroom was a nice surprise, however- the jets sprayed water everywhere. Again- could be my fault....not sure. Shower was very roomy.

Ceiling fans in the rooms were a nice touch.

Boston's on the Beach is within walking distance and if you have a smartphone- use it. You can get free drink coupons for Boston's on Yelp. Free appetizers on Facebook, etc...

There are PLENTY of nice places to eat at in this area. The grocery stores are VERY close- but NOT within walking distance.

Room Tip: They do NOT have an elevator...so you have to carry your stuff up the stairs. HOWEVER, the best vie...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kathleen D
Owasso, Oklahoma
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

Units have been updated since I was last here..pergo floors, new furniture, updated kitchen. Right across the road from the beach, parking is included with the room. Very quiet as we had and end unit away from the street. The staff was wonderful, friendly and visible. I agree with others, it is not a resort but I didn't want one. I came here because I can walk to the beach, walk to a number of excellent restaurants, and easily get to shopping, golf and tourist sites.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Debbie8575
Wellington, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2012

This place’s management ought to teach all the other beach properties how to keep patrons pleased while making the necessary updates/adjustments to keep the property modern feeling with older foundations! I have to say I loved this place and my stay here. I stayed 7 days on Timeshare exchange and it was great. I have lived in South Florida for years so I don’t need help when it comes to where to go for fun, food, relaxation and such but I live really West of the beaches so to be able to stay on the beach and give my nephew a great experience for his first time in South Florida was very valuable to me.
The buildings are 2 story (no elevator) but are not smoking (and strictly enforced Thank God) and appear as older buildings from outside but are definitely well maintained, painted and the grounds are immaculate. This is not a big fancy resort but with the upgrades they have made to the interior, they definitely have a resort feel to them. The office staff was great and I was able to check in hours early because again this place is well run. Parking was not a problem (they give you decals to put on your window-not some big paper hanging from your mirror), its directly across the street from the beach, the pool is locked and a key is given when you check in, there is a laundry room in the building facing the courtyard, and you are in walking distance to everything on Atlantic Avenue (food, shopping, night life). The beaches in South Florida are great so I don’t have to tell you about them and yes it is directly across the street and you have view from the balcony in front of your door, but if you don’t want to go to the beach the pool is a great option (crystal clear) and just a short walk through the beautiful courtyard and path and is lighted at night.
I could go on and on about how great my stay was, how clean the rooms were, and how up to date they are but you have to stay here yourself to appreciate this place as much as I did. The only Con I had was when checking out you have to strip the beds and remove all the trash (dishes washed etc.) but they gave instructions in the packet when checking in and provided a bag for the lines and garbage which is probably how they are able to get people checked in early, so is this really a Con? You decide for yourself.
Trust me when I tell you, after staying at a “beach resort” somewhere else with an older property with exact opposite results and experience (horror stay in Virginia Beach so called “beach resort”), I can honestly say this was heaven with a slice of paradise.
I wish the people at Dover House could share how they run an older beach location resort, but keep it updated, clean, and worth the money or points used to stay here. Just because the foundation is old doesn’t mean the experience has to be….Dover House is living proof of this. Kudos on a great job with this place and I WILL be returning to stay again real soon!

Room Tip: Upstairs gives you a view of the beach from in front of your door.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank atlt2009
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We recently stayed here for a week with friends. We shared one unit. I must admit we were a bit concerned about sleeping on a pull-out couch in the living room for a week, but it was very comfortable. Dover House is in an excellent location - just across from the beach and just far enough away from Atlantic Ave that it's nice and quiet. There are so many dining options along Atlantic Ave that are all within an easy walk.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the main floor if possible since there are no elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Santorini Dreamin'
Also consider these accommodations in or near Delray Beach
#3 of 15 in Delray Beach
Residence Inn Delray Beach
Residence Inn Delray Beach
#10 of 15 in Delray Beach

Been to Dover House? Share your experiences!