“Annoyed”

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Delray Beach
GreenLeadersGold level
“Annoyed”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

I'm only writing this review, because I'm still dealing with this issue (Aug 28) and I had the reservation Aug 23-25..... I check into the hotel and go up to the room.... I walk in and the room was hot. I figured it was hot, because the shades were up and the sun was beaming in the room. Couple hours later, my friends walks into the room and say that it's extremely warm in the room. I call the front desk and they said that they would have to reset the a/c.... An hour later, nothing happened.... I called the front desk again to ask about the a/c and they end up telling me that the a/c is broken. They end up telling me that we can stay in that room and they will comp 1 night. I would have stayed in the room, if it was winter time, but it's super hot, in sunny South Florida.... I asked if we could move to another hotel in the area and they ended up moving us into another hotel, but it was more expensive than I wanted to pay. Mind you, I'm from out of town, so I wasn't going to drive back home. Yes, the Hyatt did offer to pay for 1 night of my room, but the reason why I chose this hotel, was for the
reasonable price. Get to the new hotel and they want to charge me full price for 2 nights... So I had to pay for 2 nights at the Hyatt Place and 2 nights at another hotel.... I told the front desk there was no way that I'm paying almost $700!!! Speed up to thursday morning, I check my bank statement and I've been charged my both hotels...I called the Hyatt, to figure out this situation and they tell me I have to call back in a couple days to talk to the billing manager... So, now at 5am on Aug 28, I'm talking to my bank and telling them about this situation (AGAIN) and trying to figure out why in the hell both hotels charged me..... I guess this is what I get, for trying to save money

• Stayed August 2014
4 Thank Shmile2682
Robert C, Manager at Hyatt Place Delray Beach, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. I would like to first apologize for the problems that you experienced with your air conditioner. I will make sure that these comments are addressed immediately with our engineering staff. I would also like to apologize regarding the billing problem that you are currently going thorough. If this has not been resolved, please contact me directly at bobby.copeland@hyatt.com and I will be sure to resolve the situation. Thank you again for staying with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Turkish first
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The hotel is located in an excellent area, and walking distance from many great restaurants.
The rooms are clean and the staff is friendly and very accommodating. Wi-fi is and breakfast are free. The business center is very adequate and have new computers. There is 24/7 food and beverage available at the lobby, which is great for late snacks.

Will definitely stay again.

Green Features: I love that the hotel is pet friendly and accomodating to owners need away from home.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie282
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review of your stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our many amenities. We look forward to your next visit to the area and Hyatt Place.
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I travel extensively and have experienced outstanding service and "Awful Service" in many hotels / resorts, but I was shocked to experience the lack of customer service and arrogant attitude of the General Manager of this hotel.
As a frequent Hyatt traveler I chose to stay in this hotel, as I was celebrating my wedding anniversary with friends in Del Ray. It was necessary for me to spend a night in Del Ray, and so I made this reservation.
Driving to Del Ray with my wife, I received a call with a family emergency and called the hotel to advise them that I would most likely have to cancel my reservation due to such unexpected situation.

I caution anyone booking this hotel, as if you were to have an unexpected situation, you are on your own, as the management of the hotel will not do anything for you

I spoke with a Front Desk clerk, who understood my situation, but needed to get authorization from the General Manager, who flat out indicated that he would not do anything to work with my situation, but furthermore he would penalize me by charging my credit card for that night if I would cancel...what lack of compassion and cold blooded arrogant attitude..to say the least..!!

It is obvious this individual is on the wrong business, and customer service is not at the top of his priorities...not what Hyatt claims is their #1 Priority: their customers..!!

Not only he ruined my day and weekend, as the main reason for our visit was celebrating our Anniversary. in order to avoid been penalized and since I was already driving in Del Ray, I had to Check in, and then right away Check Out to drive home to deal with my family emergency.

I understand it was not the fault of the Front Desk Clerk, which she understood the unexpected situation, however she was directed by the General Manager to advise us that we would be penalized if we were to cancel the reservation the same day.

I understand perfectly the rules of the hotels when it comes to cancellations and no-shows, but there are occasions that an expected emergency like mine came up, understanding and compassion should overrule a corporate policy, and more so when you are dealing with your loyal brand travelers

I will certainly warn anyone looking to stay in this hotel about potential situations related to customer service. There other very nice hotels on the area that I am sure would have been more understanding, and welcoming than The Hyatt Place Del Ray Beach..!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
9 Thank insiderselect
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience with us. We apologize that we were not able to cancel your reservation without a penalty. Due to the popularity of the Delray Beach area, it is the tourism industry standard to have at least a 24 hour prior cancellation policy. Although we are sorry to hear that your wife had a family emergency, since you called the day of to cancel, we were unable to cancel the reservation without a charge. Again, we do apologize and hope that you will give Hyatt Place another chance if you are ever in need of accommodations in Delray Beach in the future.
Brooklyn
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

This was my first time in Florida and first time in Delray and I was absolutely astounded with the level of service. Room was extremely clean and the front desk was monumentally helpful. A Plus service without a doubt. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kinetic2649
Thank you for writing such a great review about your stay with us. We are ecstatic to hear that decided to stay with us on your first trip to Florida and Delray. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you visit the Sunshine State.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We live close to Delray and chose to stay here to celebrate an anniversary. It is $5 to self-park across the street in the public garage after 5 p.m. on Th., Fri., and Sat. and you can leave your car there overnight. The hotel parking is $15 per night. The hotel itself is modern, comfortable and quiet and our service was friendly and efficient. The bed was excellent, the double room-darkening blinds were effective and they gave me ear plugs to block the spouse's snoring!
You are located close to the heart of the downtown and the choices of where to find food, art, music and people-watching are numerous. Pedestrian-friendly neighborhood in general. Had a great time!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank A. D
We are glad to hear that you were able to visit us for a "staycation" We love to hear that our neighbors are able to come and enjoy Hyatt Place and the Pineapple Grove district as well. Did you know that we offer a special Florida resident rate? Please be sure to check availability for that rate the next time that you come to see us.
Boston
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Hotel convenient located in the Pineapple District of Delray, and most importantly, in the thick of restaurants and shops. Delray Beach itself is an enclave unlike other areas of FL (east coast) where I've been. Tough choices where to eat--every restaurant you walk by smells delicious and the food looks great too. The hotel staff was very nice and accommodating, allowed us late checkout (2:30 rather than 11) and was not bothered with us not leaving the room until early afternoon most days (we were there 4 nights). The pool area was always clean w/plenty of towels and the pool itself was very clean. The weekend we were there, they had a deal for $3 mimosas all day/evening!! Free breakfasts were adequate though there are some great breakfast places in the immediate vicinity. Will definitely stay here again. Loved the fact that pool was open from 6am-10pm. Though pool was chlorinated, it was never smelly nor did my eyes sting. Also a jacuzzi, which I didn't use since it was so humid. One other point to mention, even though the towels seemed on the thin side, they did an excellent drying job and dried thoroughly in a short amount of time.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 2nd floor right near the pool, though were never bothered by noise from the pool.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us here at Hyatt Delray. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and and the staff. We hope to see you again in the near future.
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is quite new and it shows better than some other Hyatt Places which often get abused by its clientele. Like the NYC property, this one has more modern amenities such as new light switches, very good HDTVs, and is generally in very good shape. The staff tries hard; Rosario at the front desk was particularly good. They struggle a bit with the little stuff; the gym is kind of dirty given how small it is, and how infrequently it is utilized; machines need to be cleaned; the towels are strewn about, often empty, and garbage is not removed quickly enough. But overall, the property is not only well run, but the location cannot be beat as you are in walking distance to all of the great Delray area, and that is a good thing, particularly if you plan on hitting so many of the great bars that surround the area. Breakfast is your standard free stuff; you get what you pay for, and I presume during high season around November, it probably is a zoo. I recommend going into Delray for many great breakfast spots as it a great area to walk around. The hotel is recommended; the lobby area is very well appointed; beds are comfortable, the staff, nice, and the location could not be better.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review about your stay with us here at Hyatt Place. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope that you will visit us again the next time that you are in the Palm Beaches. We also appreciate your feedback on the small items that can be improved upon and after reading your review we have done just that.