“Food was good, but felt rushed and weren't made to feel comfortable”
Review of City Oyster

City Oyster
Reserve with OpenTable
City Oyster is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 435 Restaurants in Delray Beach
Price range: US$35 - US$50
Cuisines: Asian, Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 2nd St
Transit: Free shuttle buses
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The oysters and the fish tacos were very good. The roast beef omelet was good (have had better, but very enjoyable). We almost didn't have any of it because when we went in, the manager was frazzled and telling us we could sit, but we had to hurry because they were closing. If this was said once, I could understand, but we hadn't even sat down and she said it three times. Some kind of Tourette Syndrome? I realize it was close to their closing for transition from lunch to dinner, but really, just calm down. We sat outside, which we enjoyed, and the waiter repeated that they were closing before long. Um…we know. He relaxed and was actually very funny after he realized we were ready to order right away. There were more tables seated and they ended up staying well after we were finished and paid. I would suggest a different restaurant just because a stressful lunch/dinner is not what most people are looking for. You should NEVER be made to feel there's a problem with you being there or feel rushed. Either they are closed or there is no problem. Figure it out, people.

1  Thank Outofdodge_10

Reviewed 23 April 2014

First time we ate at City Oyster we had some of the best Asian fusion foods we ever ate. We sat outside and watched the people on the street and it was a lot of fun. To this day my wife is still raving about the salad she had... no other place like it on the Ave.

1  Thank BigFoodFan
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I have eaten at many of the restaurants on the strip over the years, as I visit Delray often to see my parents. We ate here in April 2014 with my wife, kids and folks in tow. I was a bit hesitant to try City Oyster given some of the recent tripadvisor reviews, but it's received high critical reviews and we wanted to try it. Very glad we did. We live in NYC and have very high standards; City Oyster exceeded them.

The sushi chef is on his game. Very high quality sushi, prepared brilliantly. I assume he has a large local following; if I lived in the area we'd be on first names. The tuna ceviche and smoked salmon appetizers were fresh and tasty. For main courses, the mahi was succulent, moist and perfectly prepared; the blackened grouper on beans and rice was simply perfect; and the scallops could not have been prepared better. The deserts are prepared by an excellent pastry chef. The chocolate peanut butter pie and key lime pie were wonderful. But the "special pie" of the evening -- strawberry pie -- was both unusual and one of the best pieces of pie we've ever had, anywhere, period.

As for service, it was great, nothing like what I read in other reviews. Everyone was very nice. The waiter took time explaining several dishes to us and we discussed local beers for a few minutes before I selected one (so many craft breweries, so little time).

This is an A+ restaurant and I look forward to returning on my next trip.

1  Thank Adam K
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I was there on the evening of 4/15 with my wife, two kids and my in-laws. The waiter came over and we ordered our drinks. Along with our drinks we asked for tap water. It did not come with our drinks. So several minutes later when we saw the waiter we again asked for tap water. It did not come, so we asked for tap water again. My father in-law at that point politely stated that this was the third time that we were asking for water. At that point, the waiter began to berate my father-in-law in a manner that was unacceptable. You don't berate customers at a restaurant. One should deal with customers' complaints with politeness and better service. At that point we got up and left. As everyone knows poor service can ruin one's experience at a restaurant. And we certainly got it that night.

2  Thank Michael C
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I go to a lot of restaurants for lunch in the Downtown Delray corridor, I find them to be overpriced for a working person, but when I went to City Oyster for lunch I had a benti box with sushi and it was such a good bargain, delicious, fresh fish and so much food I had dinner too. I will definitely return especially since I can have two meals for less than $12.95 and the most delicious sushi in the area. It comes with seaweed salad also which I love

1  Thank mauricelaw