“Excellent experience!”

GreenLeadersSilver level
San Francisco, California
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The Colony Hotel & Cabana Club is a historic gem! It is very charming, and very Old Florida, located right on "the Avenue", in other words, the bustling Atlantic Avenue, with lots of shops, cafes, and a lovely arts district. We stayed here for our wedding and it was fabulous! Our guests were equally delighted. The staff are very accommodating and provide excellent customer service and care. The breakfast was great, and the beach club is wonderful. An added bonus is the morning yoga series. I would highly recommend The Colony to any travelers seeking old-school charm, with modern conveniences. I am so glad to know about them!

Room Tip: One friend did say that he stayed in a room directly above the morning yoga class. If you like to sl...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Setauket, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Stayed at the Colony in October for 4 nites, Hotel has old world charm right down to the oak flooring. complimentary breakfast was fine,short walk to everything. Staff always waiting to help or recommend any thing you need, nice covered front porch for morning breakfast

1 Thank Bruce181
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 2 November 2013

The colony hotel was built in 1926.
Its a really cool boutique hotel.
My wife and i visit Delray a few times a year and we always stay at the Colony.
The location in the heart of Delray is great.
They also have their own private beach club minutes away.

Siesta Key, Florida, United States
Reviewed 30 October 2013

The hotel is very charming (I love the old elevator and the restoration done to the place) However the noise from the air conditioner was terrible! I could not sleep well.
Breakfast was ok. This was a business trip I have to finish editing my film with Frank George TV
his studio was almost walking distance from the hotel.
The best of all was the company of my wonderful boyfriend that meet me there

Room Tip: check to see if the AC is noisy or not
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Toms River, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I had read many reviews on this particular hotel, so there was really no surprise during our recent l weekend adventure. My family and I (three of us) thoroughly enjoyed our stay as we took in the historic Florida look and feel of the place. The staff was welcoming and helpful. We relaxed on the porch each morning, and very much enjoyed the jazz guitarist Saturday night. The rooms were fine, nothing wonderful, but no complaints. My husband and I had our own bedroom that connected to an adjoining bedroom through a shared bath. That was a great way to go, since it provided privacy for all parties, without the cost of an additional room. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was the lack of a pool on the premises. However, we took our rental car to the hotel beach just a mile or so away, and basked in the wonderful sun and warm Florida water. All in all, a great place to stay in the heart of Delray Beach!

Room Tip: See narrative
Green Features: Forgot about that! But glad they take measures against waste.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Marie L
Sarasota
Reviewed 23 October 2013

Arrived early and was assigned a room and a spacious one at that. The room was more than adequate. We had plenty of room and clean, the bed was comfy! Loved the location, within walking distance to all the great restaurants and boutiques. Some really neat boutiques to find a couple of amazing maxi sundresses! It is a fun city to people watch , eat and drink. Would of liked a spa or pool on the premises, however went over to the Seagate for the Spa for a pedicure and got what I needed, however over priced and not all that. The breakfasts were amazing and the chef was truly interested in pleasing his guests and very personable to chat with. His breakfasts were full and well balanced and the service from the same house lady was a special touch:) The Cabana was off site where the pool was located, but not a far drive and the beach and restaurant were good. We are from Sarasota where we have been named #1 beach in the Nation, however this one for the East Coast was not over crowded and the sand was pretty white and inviting:) My only complaint was the heat, we stayed in August and there is no air conditioning in the common areas or around the bar and breakfast area, which makes it a little warm and uncomfortable for a long period of time... I would visit again in the Spring or Fall:) All in all a great rate for a lot of nostalgia.

Room Tip: ask for a larger room, not close to the street noise.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IndySarasota
Montville, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 October 2013 via mobile

We've been to Delray many times and somehow never stayed here, so I made it a point to stay at the Colony this time. I've always loved the idea of sitting on the veranda for breakfast or drinks, and I really wanted to love this place. The historic quality of the hotel really is terrific. I loved all the paint colors, and the old wood floors, moldings, etc. The old school elevator was neat also, although we usually took the stairs. The room was ok. The furniture was all antique, which is nice to look at but not practical. The drawers on the one dresser were really hard to open for clothes storage. The bed was pretty hard and uncomfortable, as were the pillows. The bathroom was large, but only had a pedestal sink which made storage an issue. The worst part was the shower. It was like I was taking a shower while my washing machine and dishwasher were also running. The windows are obviously old and they don't muffle any sounds from the street below. The air conditioner is in the window which means you can't fully close the drapes. Overall I would say the hotel experience is unique and enjoyable, but the actual hotel stay could use some tweaks.
The cabana club was really nice. I loved having chairs and umbrella at the ocean. The open air shower was also great. The drive was not that inconvenient to me, as there are really very few hotel in Delray within walking distance to the beach. The free parking at the hotel is a perk. And the location is perfect for all of Atlantic avenue.
I feel a little torn about my thoughts here. I loved the ambience, but don't know if I'd do a long stay here. For a night or two it's ok, but more than that I think it would really be uncomfortable.
Price was great, though so something to consider.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Wright by the Sea
Wright by the Sea
#1 of 15 in Delray Beach
Delray Sands Resort on Highland Beach

Been to Colony Hotel and Cabana Club? Share your experiences!