“Mystery hotel....pet friendly”

Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Effingham, Illinois
“Mystery hotel....pet friendly”
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We had to put our vacation back 2 weeks and were asked if we'd like to choose a "mystery hotel" in place of what we had chosen. You don't know what hotel you get until you accept. Well we did it...how frightening....(until we got there)

We got the Candlewood Suites in Destin Florida. It was wonderful! I cannot say enough nice things about it. They are pet friendly. The man at the front desk even said they would check on our pet if we chose to leave her in the room. (of course we would not..she goes everywhere with us) haha Some hotels claim to be pet friendly but are not. This one truly is!

The suites are like small condo's. You can cook in them the have a nice dining area, the living room is separate, even the fluffy comforter on the bed reminds you of home. I'm not sure the age of the hotel but it must be relatively new. It's about 2 miles from the beach and 1 mile from a large outlet mall.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again. We gave it 5 stars.

Room Tip: We enjoyed the backside of the hotel...it was very quiet. The front side has a main road..I'm no...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sherrie O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Ooltewah
Reviewed 9 October 2011

We stayed at this hotel because we got a great deal on the price. We will be back because of everything else. First, the location - This is not right on the beach. However, just down the road brings you to a street that connects to the 'old 98' which is right on the beach. There are plenty of free parking lots with public access to the beach so this was not a problem. You are also out of the main traffic of Destin and not in the center of the 'tourist' spots, which I liked. The hotel is very clean - including the refrigerator and stove that is in each room. There is a convenience store in the hotel that you can grab things you forgot or if you get hungry for a late-night snack. The items are paid for on 'the honor system' and they also have free hot coffee. Another big plus was the washer and dryers- they were just down the hall and Free to use! The staff- Every one of them that I spoke to was helpful, friendly and eager to help. I never felt like I was an inconvenience to them - they were very personable. Also, this is an animal friendly hotel but I promise it probably smelled better than any other hotel I've ever been to. And I loved the dogs that we would get to see in the hallway or with their owners outside. I could continue for a while, but I'll stop and say You won't be disappointed at this hotel. If you are, you're just too hard to please :)

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Stacy83
bharrison99, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 10 October 2011
Stacy83,

Thank you very much for your review. I don't think we could have described the hotel better ourselves. We do pride ourselves on being the nicest and friendliest hotel in Destin, and I am glad you found we treated you right!

Many people love the variety of amenities we have, such as the free guest laundry, full kitchens, and our Candlewood Cupboard hotel store. Again, thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and feelings with everyone here, and we look forward to serving you again the next time you are in Destin. Please feel free to reach out to me personally to coordinate your next stay!

Destin, Florida
Reviewed 13 September 2011

Stayed here for 2 nights moving to Destin. Felt like home, I don't know who needs daily housekeeping! Thank you Cathy, Boyd, Charlie... everybody! Deinitely recommend!

Room Tip: Dont be afraid to ASK about an upgrade...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank J C
bharrison99, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 14 September 2011
JC,

Thank you so much for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and welcome to Destin! We do try to make our guests' stays as relaxing and care-free as possible, and I am glad we did that for you! Thank you again!

Best Regards,
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Reviewed 11 September 2011

This hotel is the best! My trip was to check out the area and the Candleswood Suites to see if this is the place for me to move from Orlando to Destin!
I found my piece of paradise and intend to stay at the Candlewood Suites for an indefinate period come November 2011. Other info is indicated in additional details.
The entire staff were caring, professional and extremely polite and friendly during my 2 day stay!
Thank you, Boyd, Cathy, Charlie, Steve & Jamie! See you in November for a longer stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank babymine
babymine,

It was a pleasuring having you with us for the short time you were here. I am glad we met, and exceeded your expectations. I think you will greatly enjoy the hotel, and the whole area, when you move here. We're looking forward to seeing you again in November!

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We vacationed here a week the first part of July and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. it's easy to understand why they are on top in the ratings. The room was super clean and spacious. The staff was friendly and helpful from the front desk crew to the maids and maintenance people. The fact that there's no continental breakfast or daily maid service is hardly noticable in light of all the other amenities this place has to offer. And at a very affordable price. It's also convenient to beaches and other recreation. In short we loved it and plan to stay there every trip to Destin. We highly recommend!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Gary D
bharrison99, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 6 September 2011
Gary D,

Thank you so much for your review! We are glad you shared your feedback from your recent stay with us!

You are exactly right that we have a variety of different amenities to serve our guests most do not. I believe you touched on each of those individually and overall, and most importantly our people. Anyone can get a room with a bed, but the people who take care of you and personally treat you as their guest is what makes a hotel "hospitable".

Thank you so much, and we look forward to hosting you again! Please feel free to reach out to me directly for your next stay!

Slidell, LA
Reviewed 31 August 2011

Nice welcome, great front desk. Room was spacious, bed was comfortable, Like the bathroom being all in one, towels were plush nice amenities ie soap etc. Kitchen was clean with all someone would need for a long term stay...
Was disappointed in the Wifi with so many providing full unlimited time at a good speed, they only provide 512 band width for free, for high speed, you pay... not stated when I asked reservations. Fridge was loud making uninterrupted sleep impossible, guess I would have gotten use to it after a few more nights or I would have been just too exhausted to care.
Pillow selection was sad,,, 2 very small wimpy feather pillows - I would have liked them had they been larger. 1 foam pillow which we fought over we should have asked for more.
They do have a nice selection of DVDs to limit movie cost. Have a nice pantry to purchase things instead of going out. We saw a grill for guest use, very nice idea. Not far from beach (driving) with nice public access, parking and restrooms

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ladyintheknow
Ladyintheknow,

Thank you for leaving us a review! We always appreciate the feedback.

Since your comments, we have procured additional large foam pillows and have begun placing more in each room - thank you for leaving us that feedback! The next time you are in Destin, please feel free to call on me directly to personally arrange your stay!

Best Regards,
New York City, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2011

If you're ok with driving to the beach this can be a great place, everything was clean but they do not have room service unless you stay for more than a week, you need to clean your own room and take your dirty towels to the front desk so they will give you clean ones. The room was small but it as a kitchen and the bathroom has a good size, there's virtually no view, but I think this place is ok if you want to save and need a place only to sleep after spending a day at the beach, which was our case. The staff was very friendly at all times.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YasminTramontina
WorldCitizenGirl,

Thank you so much for your review! I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us!

I think you hit the nail on the head that while we are not on the beach, and that we are geared for extended-stay guests, we are the friendliest and cleanest hotel you can find here in Destin... and we take PRIDE in that! I am glad that it showed through to you and yours, and we hope to see you again.

Please feel free to contact me personally to coordinate your next stay, or any of my great team members!