“100 Steps to Gulf Waters” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Capri by the Gulf

Capri by the Gulf
Ranked #44 of 56 Speciality Lodging in Destin
Waxahachie, Texas
“100 Steps to Gulf Waters”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

50's motor inn turned condo is less than 100 steps to put feet on water. Don't have to cross street or use public entrance to beach. Capri has private stairs to beach. If you can't climb stairs then this is not the place for you.

Our room was 123 and arriving at night it was difficult to find condo because unit number was outside gated area. Another guest helped us find main entrance to our unit. This was brought to leasing company attention as a helpful hint to others who arrive after leasing office closes.

Unit says it sleep 6 but couch is a fold out and not comfortable for adult. In all fairness never met a fold out which was comfortable. It would be ok for small children.

Get to beach early to get complementary beach umbrella and 2 chairs. Clean beaches with wonderful sugar like sand. After in beach rinse off at top of stairs.

This location had no pool but who needs a pool with the water so close. We grill one day using the common grill.

Very close to Destin Commons the outdoor mall. Down the street from the best crap place; crap trap.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank TexasGalDFW

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Memphis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We have stayed at this location several years in a row. I can tell you that the location can't be beat. It is not a resort, but we love it! The units are independently owned, and none are exactly alike. We have found the office and repairman very helpful if we ever need anything. All units have a kitchen. You are not actually facing the beach, but you are on the beach. No walking across streets. There is no pool, but that is fine with us. Beach Service is included in the rental, and the price for the location can't be beat. We will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Karla G
Wichita Falls, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

We took a Mother Daughter trip to Destin Florida. My Mom had made reservations at Capri on the Gulf. We didn't know what to expect. WOW!!! Exceeded our expectations 200%. It was absolutely Perfect! We stayed in 113. It was beautiful. Everything you could possibly need at your fingertips right down to flashlight for the beach at night! Décor was stunning, homey and updated. Very comfortable. Right on the beach with umbrella and chairs provided. Very quiet with friendly people. Absolutely LOVED IT!

Room Tip: We saw a couple of different rooms but 113 was the best. they do have a 2 bedroom that I think was 1...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Jenzee28
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2013

I am complitly positiv about this place! My apt is 110 and from the inside it looks much better from what I saw on a pictures! Office have working hours and they told us that. They told us the way how to change towels and bedding, how to use laundry....absolutely everything.... The apartment is fully equipped like my own house....plates, pots and pans, ironing board, vacuum cleaner, hair dryer.... I was sceptic After all the rewues that I read but it's awesome! They don't have a poll but you can tell they from the pics, place is old but nice and clean... If you're for a Luxory....this is not the right place for you but if you're looking for something small, nice, clean, convenient and not that price....well, this is it! You'll enjoy! Overall....nice place to spend vacation!

Room Tip: Rooms #106 and#108 and there are two more ... I don't know the number, facing the beach with the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2013 via mobile

The location is stellar .... But remember, this is a former seaside motel from the 1950's, and it lacks many amenities. No pool. Most units face east or west, with no views of the ocean. The beach is pristine, but the decks and the community chairs are bottom of the barrel cheap on the decks and it just feels ...... old and worn.

Is it worth $170-200 a night during the summer? Hmmmmm - That's a tough question. Not having to climb stairs to get to your unit is a plus - as is the abundant parking. But the lack of a balcony or a view in most of the units is a minus. The beach is close, but we missed seeing the ocean from our window or outside our unit.

It does have an electric gate - so you are not surrounded by hordes of people....and the small number of units is a plus. If we were able to get a unit with a private deck (there are only three of these) , then we might return. Or if the prices were under $100 per night during the summer, them we might return.

Bottom line - ambivalent. Thus the three stars...not a real great bargain, but a decent place.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jeffclow
Tifton, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

The management here is terrible! I would never recommend this place to anyone due to the horrible experience my family and I had here because of management of the property. My family and I drove 5 hours and paid 326.00 to check in at 3:30pm on Friday. We were given a sheet of info with the code to the gate entrance on it. That night we went to eat and returned. We had forgotten our paper with the code on it. After knocking on the managers door with no answer, at 9 pm pm we called the after hour emergency line twice with no answer and then left a message explaining the emergency and asking for a return call. Waiting 30 minutes with no returned call and 3 screaming children in the car that had to potty, I climbed over the gate to get to our room and get the code. By 9 am we still had not received a return call. I went to the office to c/o no returned call and explain the incident, only to have ANGIE TOOMBES tell me it was all my fault that I had forgotten the code and they consider emergencies to be busted pipes or no action and I wasn't experiencing an emergency when I called. We even verified we had called the correct number for after hours. ANGIE TOOMBES stated even if they had returned the call we would have been charged 50 dollars for them to give me the code. She was not apologetic at all and did not try to accommodate us in any way. We had a check out time of 10 am on Saturday, not even being a 24 hour stay. She had remained me that we could probably extend the check out time before we even traveled to destin, but ended up making us check out at 10 am. I demanded a partial refund, and she refused stating she couldn't refund me anything for my forgetting my code in my room, not saying anything about the call that wasn't returned. Awful customer service for such a nice place.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
6 Thank Becky b
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

Capri by the Gulf is the worst apartment I've ever done business with. Beware this place; check in 2 hours per day only. Rude, unhelpful customer service. They are refusing answering and help us. Do not recommend at all

Room Tip: do not recommend at all
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
8 Thank Johnny S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Destin
Crystal Dunes Resort
#49 of 56 in Destin
Huntington By The Sea
Huntington By The Sea
#4 of 4 in Miramar Beach

Been to Capri by the Gulf? Share your experiences!