“Not Just An Affordable Motel”

Village Inn of Destin
Ranked #30 of 39 Hotels in Destin
South Haven, Michigan
“Not Just An Affordable Motel”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

The Village Inn of Destin is a pleasantly affordable place to stay when on a budget. When economy is the determining factor and comfort can only be sacrificed by so much, choose Village Inn of Destin. The rooms were clean, everything worked in spite of the age and it is in the midst of everything one would want to do in Destin FL.

Room Tip: Bring an extention cord; sockets are few
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Reviewed 24 May 2011

We didn't book ahead of time because of the terrible reviews here, but we had to check it out because of the price and location. We got there on a sunday and had no problem getting a non-smoking room at the last minute. We pad less than $140 for two nights in May--when the weather is perfect! The room was clean, though the carpets could use a shampooing. We had two small kids with us and felt comfortable. Beds were fresh, bathroom was clean (even had a heat lamp!), and the pool was perfect. I don't understand what these other people are complaining about. It's a budget motel, and was on par with our expectations. My only complaint is the beach is a good fifteen minute drive away. But there are great restaurants and activities within walking distance. I recommend this hotel- it works perfectly as a place to rest after a day of family fun. We felt safe and clean.

• Stayed May 2011
3 Thank addiereese
Pensacola, Florida
Reviewed 20 May 2011

The room was fairly clean, except the ceiling looked like they had painted over mold spots. The king bed was a little lumpy and semi firm. The evening front desk guy who checked us in, was rude, and lacked personality. The pool was clean and inviting . "Continental breakfast" is a term that these hotels use loosely! It consisted of a juice machine, coffee, and your choice of Little Debbie cakes! they could have at least threw in some muffins for good measure! Just saying!! The room I stayed in did have a king sized bed, a small love seat that looked like it might have pulled out into a bed, an easy chair, a rather nice little fridge and microwave. If the the room would have had a coffee maker in the room, that would have made it better as I found the hotel coffee to be rather weak, Good thing Waffle House was right next door! :)

Room Tip: get a room on the end of building
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Westfield, New Jersey
Reviewed 7 November 2010

I read a few reviews before I left, and was aware of the Waffle House noise, and we got our first room right behind it, and it smelled a little musty, so we asked for a different room. The second room was on the other side - furthest from Waffle House and was OK. The sheets and pillow cases were crispy & clean. The place could use some attention, but it was clean. The rug was a little cool/damp. There was no conditioner with the shampoo, not really a big deal. There were little bugs in the sink every morning. But the second room did not smell, and the water was hot for the shower. Very simple place, The desk staff was freindly- not overly, but they looked at me when i talked to them and had manners. The COFFEE in the AM WAS GREAT! The Juice was very good too! FOR THE PRICE- I really did not have any problems at all. I did notice there was a FOR SALE sign out front, so I think i would give this place a second chance. I was visiting a freind so I only needed to sleep there. It was nice to have a fridge and a microwave too! but I booked in Delta.com with my airfare & this was the cheapest or almost the cheapest place to stay in Destin.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank MOMSMITH317
Murray, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 November 2010

I was impressed by the website, which makes this place look really great. It is nothing like this. it is run down and dirty when you look past the surface. there was a horrible odor when I turned on the heater. though it was a cool night, I had to sleep without heat. did not even bother reporting it. the guy at the desk said I really got a good deal.....on the price. it was listed as an 80 dollar room for 45 dollars. when I got through paying, it was 63.00. it was about a 35 dollar hotel, way over priced. I had made the reservation the night before by computer, and it said I could not change my mind. that at that late date, I would be charged whether I showed up or not, so I stayed, but will never stay there again, and my advice to you, if you're on a budget, or down here too early, as I was, to get into a place on the beach that I had rented for november, , go just a little ways down the road to the destin motel 6 which was clean, and had personable people at the desk. and 39 dollars meant 39 dollars. they did not add to the bill. also, there is a for sale sign in front of the village inn, that says price reduced. I think that sign says it all. they're on their last leg. This motel is right in front of a big seafood restaurant that stayed busy. I think this motel could be made into something great with friendly people, and a double dose of upkeep and cleanliness.

Stayed October 2010, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Destin hotels

Auburn, Alabama
Reviewed 7 September 2010

Let me start out by saying that we had a great experience....with that being said, we booked our reservation on BookIt.com (our first experience) at the suggestion of a friend. After booking the reservation, I started reading all the reviews and was horrified at most of them. Those folks that were unhappy and dissatisfied DEFINTELY DID NOT have the experience we had.
Our room was clean, the staff was very friendly and it was conveniently located. The only thing that we were unaccustomed to was not being on the beach, but as it turns out that wasn't an issue with us, as a matter of fact I think it was best this way (no excessive sand in the room).
We spent the majority of our time on the beach (which was only about a 10 min. drive), but when we would return to our room, it had been cleaned, fresh towels (and plenty of them) and they never disturbed any of our stuff. We didn't experience any of the awful stuff that some have written about. We did not have interenet access because we were too far from the office...but it didnt really matter to us since it was a pleasure trip and not a working vacation.
It was a great value for the money, room was clean and staff was friendly. If you are looking for some ritzy place....this is not it, but it was clean and comfortable. We will defintely stay there again and would DEFINTELY recommend this motel to our friends.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I booked a stay at this hotel and after reading the reviews, I was so afraid that I had made a terrible mistake. Let me start off by saying, this place is nothing fancy, afterall, it is an older hotel! You are not going to get the same atmosphere as a Comfort Inn or some place like that...Along that line, you are not paying for a place like that.
Our room was very nice, for the age of the motel. We had a frige and microwave. We had 2 nice queen beds and a nice TV with cable.
We did not have a hair dryer, coffee pot in room or a clock/radio. That was okay! There was coffee in the lobby and I have a blackberry that kept up with the time for us. I also brought my own hairdryer because I assumed that they did not have one and I was prepared!
When I arrived (We got there at 2:45 PM) the girl behind the desk stated that I could not check in early. I told her that would be fine, but could I just check my reservation. She seemed a little put out by that and I told her that I was not trying to cause problems...Her attitude changed...She was so nice. She was from England! I even asked about a good seafood place and she told us that the restaurant across the street had the freshest seafood around!
All the hotel staff was nice to us. In fact, Friday night, our cable was not working. I went to the office and told the gentleman that we were having trouble with the TV. He came right to our room and fixed it!
The hotel is in a great location! We walked to McGuires and to the HarborWalk Village! We could not have asked for a better location!
Another great thing about this hotel is that they allowed pets so we could bring our 2 yorkies with us! They charged us 10.00 per day per pet but that was okay! For the rate that we got on the room, I could not complain!!
Like I stated, if you understand that this is an older hotel, you will enjoy your stay! It is clean and they are very nice! I am glad that we stayed here and that the reviews did not scare me off!!
Remember, it is on Highway 98, so you may hear trucks and cars at night. We brought an air machine and it blocked out some of that!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple