“Great gumbo”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours
Reviewed 7 May 2014

As another reviewer said, this is a classic beachfront dive. The gumbo was outstanding and the shrimp were fresh and sweet. it has a great view overlooking the marina - sit at the rail.

1  Thank JBSK89

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent food, cold beverages and the wait staff was awesome. Need to get there early to find seating.

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This place is a great waterfront dive bar! Hard to find off the main highway in old Destin. Hilarious decor and great views. I had the grilled shrimp appetizer and it was fabulous! Highly recommend this beach experience. I'd recommend a daytime experience as it probably is pretty crazy at night.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Little Woman and I got on TA and found this place and stopped here for a couple beers and a snack. Nice view, friendly staff and reasonable food. We split the fried Mahi sandwich and it was HUGE. Two pieces of fish on it that easily could have just been one.

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I have to add a comment or two about the Boathouse. My wife and I were boating this past Sunday, and we decided to tie up and go to the Boathouse for a late lunch.

The restaurant/bar was not particularl busy. There were nearly as many employees as customers. My wife and i sat inside and ordered a dozen raw oysters and a shimp dinner. We split boath.

When the waiter (seemed to be a nice guy, by the way) delivered the oysters, he said, "they're a little small, so I gave you a few extra."

A "little small"? The largest oyster on the platter was about 1/3 of the size of a normal oyster that you'd get in virtually every other restaurant. About half the oysters on the platter were no larger than a quarter coin. So we're paying for a dozen full-size oysters, and you give us 17 total oysters, not one of which is even half the size of a typical oyster...and you act like you're doing us a favor. My wife and I actually laughed as the waiter walked away. We couldn't belive the chutzpah of giving us that platter of dwarf oysters and acting as if they'd actually filled our order.

Let me be fair. The shrimp dinner we had was excellent. The shrimp were large, seasoned and breaded to prefection, and fried up as beautiful as if Rembrandt had painted them. They were wonderful. Cole slaw was very good. My only mild critique is that the hushpuppies were very "bready". Overall, and excellent meal.

But the oyster platter really sticks in our craw. We could have got more actual oyster "meat" eating four oysters that we commonly get just a few hundred yards down the shoreline at Poppy's. Very disappointing.

Again, as with virtually every experience we've had here...and we've had many...service is a real shortffall at the Boathouse Oyster Bar. Any place that advertises themselves as an "oyster bar" should be much more picky about the oysters they serve. If I had been that waiter I'd have been ashamed to serve that tray.

3  Thank RavenATB