“Comfortable and affordable mini-suites in Destin”

Best Western Sugar Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #12 of 38 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed 7 March 2013

This Country Inn & Suites is located on the north side of Hwy 98 near restaurants, grocery store, etc. It is a short walk from the Destin Commons shopping area. It would be a long walk to the beach - if that is your destination (no pun intended).
The suites are two rooms and a bathroom. The bedroom of my unit had a king size bed, dresser, flat-screen TV, and two nightstands. It has two smaller closet alcoves. The bath has a tub and shower and one sink. The second room has a pullout couch, small table, dresser with flat-screen TV, chair and wet bar with small fridge.
The rooms need renovation. Frankly they are beat up. The bathroom was very well cleaned so I think they are doing their best. The bed and linens were very comfortable.
Breakfast is on the cheap side for chain hotels that include breakfast. I think a lot of the hot items must be pre-made and heated. It's ok and it's convenient.

Room Tip: You can walk up the center staircase to the rooms on the 2nd floor. The back rooms face the pool an...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NCR_Flyer

Reviewed 19 February 2013

I can't find anything I really liked about this place, except for the friendly people at check-in. I would not choose to stay here again. Our 'suite' is in desperate need of updating. Dim lighting, peeling wall paper and it just felt old and yuk. Even the cookies tasted old and stale.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 January 2013

We booked this hotel on Priceline as an express buy for a family vacation to Destin because the hotel offered breakfast and free parking, so it was a very good value. They also have a heated pool and hot tub as well as a gym with a few pieces of equipment. The breakfast was very good, including eggs, sausage, potatos and more. The rooms have flat screen tvs, very comfortable beds. The bathroom has a hair dryer and nightlight. They offer complimentary daily paper, including the Destin paper on Sundays. Cookies, including fresh baked ones, are available in the evenings, and coffee and tea around the clock. They even have a library of books in the lobby for those who need reading material. The front desk clerk was very helpful and patient when I asked her about restarants. The room was very clean except we found a previous customer's dirty socks under the bed as we were checking the room before we left.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Karen B
Reviewed 15 December 2012

The Country Inn & Suites in Destin, Florida is conveniently located. I loved that I could walk to Publix for groceries, go shopping at the mall, and visit the beach easily from this hotel. Front desk staff were very helpful and friendly. The cookies were not what I expected (I thought they would be fresh baked cookies) but one of the nights a batch of fresh cookies were baked; my family and I really enjoyed this feature. It would be a nice touch if they were fresh baked throughout the day vs the cookie jar of what seemed to be store-bought "just okay" cookies. I booked two rooms to be right next to each other but initially our rooms where divided by the the staircase. Day two of our stay the staff contacted our boys room to indicate they would have to be moved to another room due to work scheduled in the room. Once we went to discuss the changes with the desk staff they ended up giving us a suite and we gave our room to our boys. This hotel is in desperate need of updates. I would still stay here again but I would love to see the interior refreshed by the next time we do. The tired and worn fixtures/decor is the only reason I give this hotel an average review. We booked this room through Priceline name your own price. I initially was a little concerned once the bid was awarded based on the pictures and reviews but end the end we all had a very enjoyable stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank roshaykay
Reviewed 28 October 2012

This hotel is located about 4 blocks from the beach, at walking distance. The hotel is easy to reach when you enter Destin crossing the new bridge. It is surrounded by a nice shopping area and in front of a golf course. You find a Publix grocery store near the hotel as well as a Wallgreens, several restaurants, cinema, etc all at walking distance. Now that I've been to Destin, I would like to stay in a hotel at the beach, because most of the beaches are private, meaning that you don't have free access to any place at the beach, you have to enter via one of the several public entrances. The notel offers free breakfast which is something that my wife and I like. The swimming pool is nice as well as the spa. The fitness room is bad. The internet connection is slow. Although it is clean, the hotel shows signs of aging, I've been to better Country Inns but this one is still at an acceptable level.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Paulo_MSP
Reviewed 7 October 2012 via mobile

This was a great place to stay. Close enough to the harbor to drive and catch the action, but far enough away to be quiet. The beach was very close and there were great restaurants in our vicinity. The staff was exceptionally accomodating, and the continental breakfast was good.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank TravelingWhit
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Business travel can be a pain but this place makes up for it. This place is quiet, nice pool, very clean, good beds, good internet, staff is friendly, polite and helpful, good location. Added perk is the free breakfast. Not the standard continental, a real breakfast with real hot eggs, bacon, toast, etc. Hope all Country Inns are this great because it's my new choice of hotels.

Room Tip: Lobby has a wide staircase to all floors so you don't have to wait on the elevator.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business