“Stinky, unclean, and the bathroom mirror broke.”

Best Western Sugar Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Destin
“Stinky, unclean, and the bathroom mirror broke.”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I would never stay here again.. The smell was terrible..unless you like mold. Close the hotel until it's renovated.. Stop being greedy and actually make your customers happy. Also a huge mirror fell in our bathroom and broke into a million pieces and could of killed us!

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Cmv_96

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Jackson, Mississippi, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2014

Upon arriving I read several reviews and was concerned about the upkeep of the hotel. When we entered the first thing my kids saw was the cookies in the lobby and they couldn't wait to get some and every time we left lol. Once my family checked in I was very surprised. I didn't see anything broken my family stayed in a King Suite (2 young boys 7 and 5). We enjoyed the separate area as a door separated the two areas. We also loved the pool and the spa. We didn't take advantage of the fitness center due to being on vacation but it looked nice as we passed it going to the pool. The breakfast was great as well. After two nights we decided to say one more night and I simply went downstairs and the lady said no problem. The only thing I saw a problem with well not a problem was the bright light that was shinning in from the pool but next time I will just ask for a room opposite from the pool. I will definitely book again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Lisa M
Houma
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

I booked this hotel through Hotwire Hot Deals so I had no way of knowing what hotel it was. I was very upset that this was the hotel after I saw the reviews. Hotwire was very misleading in the description making customers think it was a leading hotel. The staff was very nice and this is the only nice thing I can say. The window was dirty it looked like they never dust it. Because of this I also saw mouse droppings.! I will not tolerate that. Hotwire refunded my money and we went somewhere else. Again the staff was nice and she explained to me that the hotel will be upgraded to a Best Western. I hope than it will be better but I think we will pass.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Tpitt12
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

My family visited the week of July 4 and really enjoyed our visit. The staff was very friendly. Our room was clean and the pool was great! We enjoyed the big breakfast that was provided each morning also. We will defiantly recommend this hotel and will visit again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank MD1174
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Some of the staff was friendly. My family has been staying here for the past 3 years was there in July 2014 and the only problem I had was it was hard to get towels. It was like it was a shortage. I realize that people take hotel towels but they should have had more. Don't know if we will be back next year.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank mallette
florida
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

was formerly a country inn and suites, so it has that Early American KMart decorating style... right On the golf course in Kelly plantation, great location, close to Destin Commons Mall and all local attractions.what's kind of quirky about this place is a personnel and the decorating.whenever I stayed there I felt like it was a cross between an insane asylum and the Bates Motel.sort of a GrandMommy Dearest meets penal colony.first of all the place is being renovated into a Best Western so they're not exactly pouring A lot of money into the existing existing infrastructure.second of all there's nobody there, which I never really understood, right in the middle the peak tourism season.I've never seen a place with less friendly staff and a more quiet atmosphere. its like there's no music or noise in there, I thought I was going to snap. I want to know that there is semi intelligent life around me, not that I've landed in some post apocalyptic zombie world....all in all, I guess for the price its a pretty good deal ,the location is superb. They just need to work on customer service and ambience...and lose the Night Of The Living Dead vibe.....

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank destinloan
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We booked this through hotwire because it said it was 3 stars, but we disagreed and got a refund with them. I'm sure it was nice a few decades ago but they are in need of new furniture, carpets, and mold resistant walls (see pictures). The smell was musty and I agree with the other review about needing to throw out the pullout bed. I rated it 2 because the staff was very nice, the breakfast was ok, and the location is as close as you can be to the beach without being in a condo.

Stayed July 2014