“very good for the price!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of BEST WESTERN Sugar Sands Inn & Suites

BEST WESTERN Sugar Sands Inn & Suites
Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Destin
orlando, fl
“very good for the price!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my 3 year old and 13 year old while visiting family who lives in the area. It is in a great location which helped me a lot since I rode with my sister in a rental car and she stayed elsewhere. I walked over to the shopping plaza adjacent to the hotel and found all sorts of stores! It was my first trip to Destin and I was pleasantly surprised on how close I was to the beach considering the low rate I paid. I found a bug in my bed but when I brought it to the attention of the management, they promptly upgraded me to a gigantic suite! I was really happy with how quickly, courteously, and professionally they handled my problem. I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank izzybaby07

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2009

Boy was I robbed. I thought i was getting a deal with a 15% discount, but what I received was a 15% price hike for a room filled with old and worn out furniture. After traveling for hours to what I felt would be a quality hotel, I was slapped into reality as soon as I walked into the room. Despite being spacious, the sofa-bed was worn out and dusty, while the easy chair was not so easy to get into, nor out of once you sat down, The bed had and iron bed frame that I banged with my head numerous times trying to beat a comfortable spot to lie. Floor was dirty, and my ice bucket was filled with water when I arrived. Now some of these items might be over looked if your paying a decent price for a night in old town., but in Destin, a Florida hot spot, one would think the Country Inn would be a bit better than the local fish inn. Pshaw!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2009

We booked a queen room, and when we checked in- a king suite was available- at the same price. It always pays to ask. The room was great- view of the pool and adjoining golf course. Location was good- just off the main strip (easy to find, but quiet). Near the Destin shopping area. Only down side- we had a great little mini fridge- there was someone elses food in a left over to go box. We overlooked this as it was a great value and a great room.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2008

I love hotels - I love staying in them and bragging on the good ones. Can't do it for this one and here's why.

Lest you think my rating is off - please read the details in the people who rated this hotel 4 and 5 stars - comments like worn furniture peeling paint, dirty bathrooms, etc. This hotel was promised by Priceline to be a 2.5 star rating - equal to Homewood Suites?! I may have been more generous in my rating if the quality was down graded, but I am reviewing it based on the level of comfort promised to me. This is my second bad experience out of about 10 with Priceline. Not bad I suppose - but unfortunately, this was a long stay - 4 days.

We were greeted and treated well throughout by a wonderfully friendly staff. Every issue they did their best to assist. No complaints there.

The elevator inspection was expired - 2007 - don't remember the month.

Alcohol in vending machine right in view of the kids at the pool and elevator. Something I didn't appreciate.

Room was clean if you are a single college kid used to dorms. For families with kids that like to play on the floor - forget it. The carpet was old, worn, and dirty. The furniture had stains and food on and in it. Roaches under the couch rollaway. Pretty sight. Roaches under the chair. Chips, cracks dents - ceiling was worn and peeling. Bed okay comfort wise but the spread had cigarette burns in several places and sheets were worn and thin.

Sofabed belonged in the dumpster - springs sticking up into mattress. My kids were crying about sleeping on it the second night and we plopped down on it - OUCH. We ordered a rollout - better but not much. Worn also w/ worn blanket to boot.

We didn't spend much time in the room. Couldn't wait to leave.

At 7:30 - breakfast was below par - went to make a waffle and no spray anywhere. Boiled eggs sitting in a bucket of melted ice. No fruit - bananas or apples would be nice. Counter clean - just not good selections. We had breakfast the night before at Holiday Inn Express - now THAT's a breakfast!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Roaches
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Punta Gorda, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2008

I called this location about 3 weeks before departure inquiring about an upgrade. I told them I was even willing to pay for the upgrade but they assured me that it was complimentary. Go to check in and guess what.....no upgrade. And the girl at the front desk could not have cared less. Finally after arguing for a while, I gave up after they assured me they could get a refrigerator put in my room.

After check in, everything was great. The room was ok, but the bathroom needed a bit of TLC...peeling paint, tiles pulling off the walls. Breakfast every morning was wonderful. The attendant ran her little legs off helping people, and re-stocking. She truly was a treat.

I like the fact that everything was so convenient in this hotel. We were on the 1st floor, and believe it or not, the rooms were quiet. The laundry was 4 rooms down, the exit was 3 rooms down, and the pool/hot tub area was right past the laundry. And the cookies they made every evening were so good!

All in all it was a very nice relaxing stay. I would stay there again.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — front desk attendants obviously don't like their jobs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
The South (of the US!)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2008

Nice Stay! Pretty hospitable & "country". Fairly Quiet, Nice Staff, Yummy Breakfast, Nice Room, Excellent Pool & Hottub, Great Location.

Would recommend. We did stay on Floor 1 - in the middle, so probably some of the most "used" rooms. Had all we needed, however!

Sofa bed cushions could be cleaner, as also the chair cushions.

Bed very nice!!! Shower great. Big bathroom. Separate "bar" area w/fridge & microwave. Pretty grassy area outside window.

Curtain had to be clipped shut - lights a bit bright out back, but room very nice, once those were shut. 2 TVs great. Neat Wine/Beer vending thing on first floor, as also a drink machine. Free cookies, 24/7, as also coffee & tea.

Stayed March 2008
Huntsville, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2007

I had a great experience at the Country Inn and Suites during an 8-night stay. This was the second time I had stayed at this hotel. The room and common areas were very clean and the staff was exceptional. The hotel has a nice pool and fitness room and the complimentary breakfast is very good. A daily newspaper and even cookies are provided. The hotel is located in a convenient area in Destin within walking distance to a grocery store, upscale shopping, and restaurants. I've stayed at other hotels in Destin and paid a lot more for a lot less. This is a first-class hotel and a great value.

• Liked — Clean room, comfortable bed and pillows, and quiet.
  • Disliked — No complaints - perfect!
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank RoadWarrior2K