“Not Up To Standards”

Ranked #15 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Austin, Texas
“Not Up To Standards”
Reviewed 29 May 2010

After staying in a Country Inn and Suites on our way to Florida, we decided to stay several nights at this hotel. The price was reasonable for Destin and the hotel had a nice appearance on the outside and in the lobby. The desk clerk was busy handling the call from an irate guest wanting to speak to a manager (none present mid-day) when we arrived and did the bare minimum of checking us in. The room was in need of repairs, a chair was ripped, the bathroom door frame was rusting through the paint, and the room was small for two queen sized beds. We were on a no-smoking floor, but there was a room across the hall reeking of cigarette smoke every day.

The morning we checked out, the breakfast was not ready on time and was minimal compared to other hotels of the same chain. The desk clerk did the bare minimum to print our bill and hand it to me. She never asked about our room, stay or if everything was ok. She could not have cared less. If I visited the island again, I'd find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank traveler851

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Pensacola,Fl
Reviewed 16 March 2010

We needed a place to stay for one night. They upgraded us to a king suite. The room was clean and quite, even though it was spring break time. Convenient to everything. We were very pleased with the price and the stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank willi61
orlando, fl
Reviewed 10 November 2009

I stayed at this hotel with my 3 year old and 13 year old while visiting family who lives in the area. It is in a great location which helped me a lot since I rode with my sister in a rental car and she stayed elsewhere. I walked over to the shopping plaza adjacent to the hotel and found all sorts of stores! It was my first trip to Destin and I was pleasantly surprised on how close I was to the beach considering the low rate I paid. I found a bug in my bed but when I brought it to the attention of the management, they promptly upgraded me to a gigantic suite! I was really happy with how quickly, courteously, and professionally they handled my problem. I will definitely stay here again!

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank izzybaby07
Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2009

Boy was I robbed. I thought i was getting a deal with a 15% discount, but what I received was a 15% price hike for a room filled with old and worn out furniture. After traveling for hours to what I felt would be a quality hotel, I was slapped into reality as soon as I walked into the room. Despite being spacious, the sofa-bed was worn out and dusty, while the easy chair was not so easy to get into, nor out of once you sat down, The bed had and iron bed frame that I banged with my head numerous times trying to beat a comfortable spot to lie. Floor was dirty, and my ice bucket was filled with water when I arrived. Now some of these items might be over looked if your paying a decent price for a night in old town., but in Destin, a Florida hot spot, one would think the Country Inn would be a bit better than the local fish inn. Pshaw!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Milwaukee, WI
Reviewed 6 June 2009

We booked a queen room, and when we checked in- a king suite was available- at the same price. It always pays to ask. The room was great- view of the pool and adjoining golf course. Location was good- just off the main strip (easy to find, but quiet). Near the Destin shopping area. Only down side- we had a great little mini fridge- there was someone elses food in a left over to go box. We overlooked this as it was a great value and a great room.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2008

I love hotels - I love staying in them and bragging on the good ones. Can't do it for this one and here's why.

Lest you think my rating is off - please read the details in the people who rated this hotel 4 and 5 stars - comments like worn furniture peeling paint, dirty bathrooms, etc. This hotel was promised by Priceline to be a 2.5 star rating - equal to Homewood Suites?! I may have been more generous in my rating if the quality was down graded, but I am reviewing it based on the level of comfort promised to me. This is my second bad experience out of about 10 with Priceline. Not bad I suppose - but unfortunately, this was a long stay - 4 days.

We were greeted and treated well throughout by a wonderfully friendly staff. Every issue they did their best to assist. No complaints there.

The elevator inspection was expired - 2007 - don't remember the month.

Alcohol in vending machine right in view of the kids at the pool and elevator. Something I didn't appreciate.

Room was clean if you are a single college kid used to dorms. For families with kids that like to play on the floor - forget it. The carpet was old, worn, and dirty. The furniture had stains and food on and in it. Roaches under the couch rollaway. Pretty sight. Roaches under the chair. Chips, cracks dents - ceiling was worn and peeling. Bed okay comfort wise but the spread had cigarette burns in several places and sheets were worn and thin.

Sofabed belonged in the dumpster - springs sticking up into mattress. My kids were crying about sleeping on it the second night and we plopped down on it - OUCH. We ordered a rollout - better but not much. Worn also w/ worn blanket to boot.

We didn't spend much time in the room. Couldn't wait to leave.

At 7:30 - breakfast was below par - went to make a waffle and no spray anywhere. Boiled eggs sitting in a bucket of melted ice. No fruit - bananas or apples would be nice. Counter clean - just not good selections. We had breakfast the night before at Holiday Inn Express - now THAT's a breakfast!

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Roaches
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2008

I called this location about 3 weeks before departure inquiring about an upgrade. I told them I was even willing to pay for the upgrade but they assured me that it was complimentary. Go to check in and guess what.....no upgrade. And the girl at the front desk could not have cared less. Finally after arguing for a while, I gave up after they assured me they could get a refrigerator put in my room.

After check in, everything was great. The room was ok, but the bathroom needed a bit of TLC...peeling paint, tiles pulling off the walls. Breakfast every morning was wonderful. The attendant ran her little legs off helping people, and re-stocking. She truly was a treat.

I like the fact that everything was so convenient in this hotel. We were on the 1st floor, and believe it or not, the rooms were quiet. The laundry was 4 rooms down, the exit was 3 rooms down, and the pool/hot tub area was right past the laundry. And the cookies they made every evening were so good!

All in all it was a very nice relaxing stay. I would stay there again.

• Liked — convenient location
  • Disliked — front desk attendants obviously don't like their jobs
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family