“HUGE waste of my money and time!”

Olin Marler Fishing and Dolphin Cruises
Book In Advance
More Info
US$28.90*
and up
Gulf of Mexico Dolphin Cruise
More attraction details
Owner description: Olin Marler Charter Fishing and Dolphin Cruises is Destin's first established cruise service. We offer the best in Deep Sea Fishing and Dolphin Sightseeing cruises.
Reviewed 29 September 2013

My husband and I went on their six hour charter yesterday. The water was extremely choppy and the captain didnt even try to take it easy. By the time we made it to the fishing spot everyone was drenched and sick. I managed to catch two fish (only one I could keep) before i got sick. I do not get motion sickness and I even to dramamine before our trip. The ride was terrible. The staff though most were good mannered, did not even bother to help fishers. The first fish i caught was a very large amber jack. Seeing as I have never fished out side of fresh water I was not prepered. I started screamimg "big one on" as they instruct you to do. No one came to help me. It was not until a fellow fisher got all over one of the crew members that they decided to help me. In all my husband and I caught four fish we could keep. Out side of the first major stop they stopped two other places. each place they give you approximately enough time to drop your line once. I tried to make the best of this trip. When we got home, we realized Loni the female hand on the boat had shorted us one fillet. We paid 127 dollars for seven fillets, five hour boat ride, sea sickness and snotty employees who hate their jobs. DO NOT USE OLIN MARLER!

2  Thank Savannah H
traveler4557, Customer Relations at Olin Marler Fishing and Dolphin Cruises, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Hi Savannah H,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. We will make sure to review our procedures with our staff so we are assisting customers as quick as possible. Thanks again for your review and your business with us.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

Please be aware that this group will cancel your trip if they do not believe they have enough people to make it worth their while. Our trip got cancelled an hour before we were suppose to be there. We were traveling from a city an hour away and were en route when we received the call. I had been in contact with the company the day before and they were well aware that we would be making a trip to get there. The girl's response during the call was, "I know. . . . it's not fair." She did offer to re-schedule for a later date but I was not comfortable that I (and my 5 other guests) would not end up in the same situation again. I understand her business perspective but believe that a call the night before (not at 7:30 in the morning) would have been more appropriate. Surely she knew at that point that the trip was not coming together. I will not patronize this business again and would urge others to think carefully before booking with them.

1  Thank We3KingsWannaGo

Hi We3KingsWannaG,

Thank you for your review and we're sorry for the inconvenience. We try very hard not to cancel trips, but we have to have at least 10 participants in order to make our costs. We give an hour notice to our customers in the case we don't get that minimum so they don't make the drive to our location and find out we are not cruising. We are sorry for the confusion, but we do list it on our website and other 3rd party outlets. Thank you again for your review and sorry we couldn't get your on the cruise.

Reviewed 16 September 2013

First of all, I recommend booking the trip online at www.tripshock.com to save money. They advise to give a 24 hour notice, but I was able to get my reservation 2 hours prior to the trip and saw a few more people buying tickets minutes before we left. This is a great idea if you'd like to relax in a friendly atmosphere and see some dolphins. I went with my parents and had a wonderful time. At first the dolphins were hard to spot, but once they started making appearances it was worth it! I'll definitely go again.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My sister, brother-in-law, husband and I did this one afternoon while in Destin. We purchased tickets off Groupon, which made it very reasonably priced. Not having been to Destin in several years, it was a bit hard to find, and parking was definitely not ideal. Taking that into consideration, it might be good to leave a little earlier than you think you need to - there's plenty of places to hang out near the boat if you get there too early.

The boat was large with plenty of seating on either deck (in the sun or shade). There were some pretty basic snacks & drinks for sale. The staff were friendly & knowledgeable, but not too over-zealous with their tour guide-type responsibilities. We felt they really made an effort to ensure that everyone was having a good time, which was nice. We saw probably 10-15 dolphins while we were out. The crew makes sure you get plenty of photo ops, and they even give you a chance to "drive" the boat if you want! The only complaint is regarding the "glass bottom" that they advertise. It's a small window in the bottom of the boat. All you see is cloudy water, so don't go expecting an extraordinary viewing experience there. Other than that we loved it!

1  Thank Kim W
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

I was so excited about a dolphine cruise with my 2 yr old, sister, and mother. I went on one years ago in Gulf Shores--so I thought I knew what the morning would hold--boy was I wrong.
The boat was large and very nice--various levels with many options to stand or sit, inside (air conditioned) or outside, and glass in the bottom for viewing.
We started in the bay--which is where I expected the boat to stay for the 2 hr trip.....but then we ventured out to the ocean. Almost immediately after we hit the ocean I felt nauseous. I was completely caught off guard and did not prepare for the motion of the ocean. I saw the first dolphin and that was all. For the rest of the ride, I was sitting in the air condioned area hovered over a garbage can--with my sister and my 2 yr old. All 3 of us were sick for the remainder of the trip. Not exactly the quality time I was looking for on this trip!
The only positive to this was one of the crew members. He was very nice to offer us cold towels and checked on us a couple times.
It would be a nice boat ride if your prepared to be on the ocean vs the bay--there is a huge difference in the two!!

Hi RoadTripTrioGals,

We are very sorry about this trip! Dolphin cruises are not supposed to be so choppy and the captain may have been better off to stay in the Harbor and Bay this trip. We have already put some new rules in place to prevent us from leaving the pass in certain conditions just to be sure we don't have any of these situations. Thank you again for coming out with us and we hope you give us a second chance in the future.