“Great Dinner Cruise”

SunQuest Cruises
Ranked #25 of 310 Restaurants in Destin
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Dine, Dance, Cruise, Wed.... Embark on a truly memorable experience. Cruise through your next dinner, Destin wedding or reception, meeting or event aboard SunQuest Cruise's SOLARIS yacht in Sandestin. Sunset Fireworks Cruises every Tuesday and Thursday in the summer. Rated as one of the top things to do in Destin, the 125' SOLARIS yacht features three decks with indoor and outdoor waterfront space for up to 150 people. An amazing alternative to waterfront and seafood restaurants in Destin Florida as we take it ON the water and INTO the sunset. The SOLARIS cruises year-round from Sandestin, rain or shine for weekly fine dining, dancing and sunset cruises. The SOLARIS takes Destin restaurants and waterfront dining to the next level as you indulge in award-winning cuisines while cruising into the sunset. Our fine dining menus include prime seafood and fresh, local Gulf seafood. Voted as the best venue for Destin Florida weddings by readers of the Knot for 7 consecutive years and 2016 WeddingWire Couples Choice award winner, a SOLARIS wedding also includes experienced wedding planners, a breathtaking, open-air sky deck, flexible Destin wedding packages and award-winning cuisines. This is where amazing is unforgettable. Plus enjoy an all-inclusive experience at the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. Whether you looking for things for your group to do, seeking an event venue or meeting facilities, the SOLARIS is a unique option, offering inspiring waterfront spaces for any event. Private and semi-private cruise packages available that include experienced event planners. Leave your worries in our wake! The SOLARIS is conveniently located at the Sandestin Golf & Beach Resort, providing an all-inclusive experience. Cruise through your dinner, wedding or event and then stay on property for a worry-free experience. The Sandestin Resort features a variety of accommodations, transportation, entertainment and more.
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Great deal with great views and delicious food. Entertainment was very good as well. There were some drunks on this cruise that were just having a good time dancing around for everyone, but it wasn't too distracting

Reviewed 2 August 2014

This is about the 20th time I've been on this cruise. My wife and I have used the boat for everything from private anniversary dinners to charity fundraisers. And the service and food have always been "good" or even a bit better than good. I have to compliment them for the professionalism of their staff, and for the food prep and service. We enjoyed our last cruise more than any previous cruise.

The boat has been recently upgraded, with new carpets inside and a bit of elbow grease, it looked very nice. Tables were generously spaced so there was plenty of room to get around...we didn't feel packed into a "can" like is so often the cases with dinner cruise boats. There were four of us at a round-top table, and every one of the four of us were very happy with our meal. This is not "five star" dining. But for what they do on the Solaris, they do it as well or better than any similar dinner cruise boat I've ever been on...and I've dined on many.

I have one "significant" critique, and that is the entertainment. The music was not particularly good. It was a solo male who played guitar over computerized background music. The guy had a pretty good voice, within his normal range. But he does a lot of music where he jumps into falsetto, and man, its truly uncomfortable listening to him. Worse yet, the volume of the music was simply way too loud for people to have cross-table dinner conversation. Not a little too loud...WAY too loud. We gave our waiter (who did a good job) a few subtle hints, but he didn't pick up on them to try to lower the volume. The one thing I would add is that they could have halved the volume during dinner, and then increased volume after the main course so those who wanted to dance could be "happy," and still allowed for table conversation for at least part of the cruise.

One other small critique. The restroom area near the kitchen entrance in the back of the boat--you really need to be careful about putting table-ware in the window areas. There were pitchers and glasses sitting in the window frames across from the restrooms, and it really looked "bush-league," and the items didn't look clean, at all.

Overall, we enjoyed our experience. There were some "behavior" issues with a few of the guests. But these days its hard for a business like the Solaris to deal with over-the-top customers, especially when you're out in the middle of the bay. I suppose they have to give customers a lot of latitude so as to not make an uncomfortable situation worse. Anyway, overall, we enjoyed our cruise and all four of us agreed we would recommend it. But all four of us agreed that the music was ridiculously loud, and needs to be addressed. So, I rate the cruise "four stars." Food and service were very good. The venue was very good. The crew was highly professional. Again, the only real critique was the music...especially the volume.

A few "Tips For New Customers":

1. Unless you want to spend time wandering the docks and looking at all the expensive boats around the Solaris, there's absolutely no reason to arrive early. People who arrive early will simply stand on the docks waiting for them to open the walkway to the boat. I suggest you arrive no earlier than 30 minutes before the cruise pushes off the docks. And I would have to say that even if you arrive 15 minutes before the boat is scheduled to depart, you've lost nothing. Tables are reserved for you before you even walk on the boat. So standing in line for 30 minutes gains you nothing at all.

2. If you have children I suggest asking for upstairs tables, or if you're seated on the main (bottom) floor, seat your kids with their backs to the stage and dance/floor. To be very blunt, the behavior of customers with regard to what they will do on the dance floor can be a problem. And in fairness to the Solaris, it's almost impossible for a business to control this kind of thing unless the "dancers" actually commit some sort of "civil" offence...like stripping, for example. Our cruise "featured" two "young" ladies who seemed "uninhibited" about they way they danced...perhaps retired pole-dancers trying to re-live their younger years. They "got after it" quite early in the evening; before the main course. As the sun was about to set to our west, and the boat was pointed directly at it, these two girls, one slightly overweight, and the other much more than "slightly" overweight, stepped onto the foredeck, behind the vocalist, and danced in the window behind him. The sun shined directly through their thin little dresses and left absolutely NOTHING to the imagination...much to the displeasure of many left inside watching this display. As the evening progressed a couple other "young" ladies decided they wanted to participate, and the show got even more "edgy," very quickly. Again, this is just a sign of the times...nothing that I think the Solaris crew could have done anything about, without making the situation far worse. We noticed a lot of whispered conversations and eye-rolling between servers, so I'm sure they were well aware of what was going on. These two "primary" dancers were "in the sauce," and they were to the point of being obnoxious before they were even seated at their tables. Trying to reel them in would have likely caused a bad scene. So, my sympathies to the crew of the Solaris. I'm sure many of them were as uncomfortable with what was going on as some of us seated at the tables. So, again, I suggest families with small children seat those children so they're not facing the dance floor. If there is no "issue" on the dance floor for your cruise you can always let the kids turn their chairs, or even change seating. But its easier to be fore-warned...so, a word to the wise.

3. Logically, and you would think obviously, you cannot carry drinks onto the boat. So if you're carrying a beer down the docks as you walk to the Solaris, either finish it on the docks or be prepared to pour it out before you step onboard. I shouldn't have to say this. But a couple people were asked to pour out their drinks before stepping onto the boat last night, and they seemed "shocked."

4. Traffic on Hwy 998 around the entrance to Baytown Wharf can be very congested. I suggest you anticipate that and schedule yourself to arrive at Baytown early enough to have a drink along the docks before you walk to the boat. (I know I said there was no need to arrive at the boat early). What I'm suggesting is that so you don't get into a situation where you're sitting in traffic on Hay-98 watching the Solaris pull away from the docks, that you give yourself time to get to Baytown early. If traffic isn't bad you can have a nice drink along the docks and enjoy the view, then walk to the boat in time to make your reservation.

4.a. If you're driving down Hwy 98 going eastward, and as you approach Baytown you see a huge traffic jam in the left turn lane, pull into the right lane of traffic and drive past the intersection going eastward, then turn around so you can approach the turn into Baytown Wharf (Sandestin Blvd) driving in the westbound lanes, turning right into Baytown. That will get you beyond a lot of snarled traffic and reduce you're wait.

5. Smoking is permitted on the top (outside) deck of the Solaris (I suggest a wind-proof lighter)

9  Thank RavenATB
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We had a great experience for my in laws 50th anniversary. We had a large party of around 20 people. The staff were very friendly and the food was delicious. I would recommend going on a dinner cruise with them.

1  Thank Oceajen
Reviewed 8 July 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time at the sunset cruise. My family and I went on the fourth of July weekend and we would definitely do it again. The food was amazing. I had the seared beef and my steak was flavorful and juicy, indeed perfect. The entertainment was great. I have to give the David I believe was his name a 100 plus! Not only did he sang beautiful, but knew to keep the crowd entertained. The only thing I would suggest for the cruise management is to make sure they wash the plates well. I had to return mine twice, although our waitress was very kind and changed them without being upset. The mixed drinks were the best I had a stress reliever and it was prefect. Overall I have to say we enjoyed it and will definitely do it again. Very worth your money.

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I took my girlfriend on this dinner cruise on July 1, 2014 where I proposed to her. I had been in contact with the coordinator for over a month to plan the experience and everything I asked for was do-able, which was great. However, one of my biggest concerns was to get decent pictures of the event and SunQuest Cruises failed on that miserably. When the time came, their photographer was nowhere to be found despite the fact that I agreed to pay for this service. Our waitress did notice this though, and she attempted to capture the moment on her phone with little success as she was behind other guests and basically filmed my back with very poor lighting.

As for the rest of the dinner... The AC went out for a while but was fixed, thankfully. It did look like the waiters were a little rushed and it took quite a while to get drinks, but our waitress was great and very professional; she also handled the rest of my proposal plans perfectly. For the most part the food was average especially for the price, but the steak was great and so was the cheesecake. For a couple that had a few drinks, an appetizer, and the "anniversary package" (a rose, a couple glasses of champagne, and a picture) I spent about $300.

I would rate the experience as "very good" if they had not failed to take pictures of this once in a lifetime moment for us. If I had known it that they were incapable of doing so, I could (and would) have easily hired a photographer of my own to attend.

1  Thank Adam A