“Best Part of Our Vacation”

Ride On Surf School
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I attended surf school on July 9, 2014. There was a group of about twelve of us ranging in age from 8ish to 40ish working with four instructors (Dylan, Matt, Huck and Logan).

They had two tents set up on the beach right by the water directly behind Captain Dave's restaurant, exactly as they describe. We showed up early because we were worried we would have trouble, but we had no issues finding them.

For $80 each, we received three hours of instruction, use of their surfboards, use of a rash guard shirt, snacks and a bagful of goodies (stickers, Billabong camp tshirt, coupons, etc.).

Camp started with brief instructions (10-15 mins) on proper stance, how to get up and how to maneuver the board through the water. The instructors were very clear and answered questions that we had patiently. After that, we were on our way to the water. We got belly down on our boards and then the instructors would watch the water for good waves. When they saw one, they would count to 3 and then push the board into the wave. We just had to get up and ride. I was shocked at how quickly everyone caught on. When we got back to the instructor they would give us feedback on things we could do better the next time. Everyone took turns doing this for about an hour and a half and then we took a break. We could sit in the shade under their tents and they provided Cliff bars to whomever wanted to take one. After break, the instructors showed us some more techniques to try out and then we were back in the water for the rest of the session.

I was very impressed on how great the instructors were. They were all young guys with a passion for surfing and they truly wanted us to walk away loving to surf, as well. I thought they were very professional, knowledgeable and worked well with all of the campers.

Overall, I think this was a great experience. We had a blast and would recommend this to anyone visiting the Destin area who wants to give surfing a try.

2  Thank Jamie V
in 4 reviews
"kids"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

We had a hard time finding the school. It is on the beach in a tent. They keep the boards under a resturant. So when typing in your gps..type in CAPTAIN DAVE'S resturant. You will find the school on beach. The girls had SO much fun..worth the money.. we payed for the three hour school

2  Thank krisrtr
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This was intended to be the "big special" activity for my daughter on this vacation; however, it turned out to be a total bust. We had made reservations the night before for Friday, our last day before check out. It had rained off and on all week - scattered showers but nothing that lasted any length of time and beaches were full and activities in full swing every day. Contrary to their website, which says that they will operate in the rain as long as there isn't any thunder or lightning, no one from this group showed up on Friday morning. (It rained pretty hard early in the morning but had quit by the time we left at 8:30 to be at the school by 9am). Since they had called me back the night before to confirm my reservation they obviously had my cell phone number, but never bothered to call and cancel. We were not the only ones who showed up - there were several parents with their kids waiting for the surf instructors but they never showed up, never called, nothing. We waited an hour thinking that maybe the early morning rain had slowed them down but they never showed. I finally got a call from the guy around 5pm on Friday to tell me that they would be having class the next day, but I pointed out to him that we would be checking out that day so it wouldn't be possible. Will never go back - HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!!!!!

10  Thank Betty R
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was one of the best experiences we've had on vacation. Dylan, Austin and Chris were very professional, knowledgeable, and experienced instructors. This was the second trip we have used the surf school and this time the girls liked it so much we used them 4 days in row. I can't emphasize enough how much fun they all had. The girls were up and surfing within the first few minutes on the first lesson. Not only do I recommend them we plan to enroll in the school next trip! The store staff in Billabong and Aloha are great. Awesome place to pick up your surf gear and clothing. Thanks again!!!!!

Mike S. Atlanta, Ga.