“Only place to stay in Destin for me!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Ranked #5 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Marietta, Georgia, United States
“Only place to stay in Destin for me!”
Reviewed 1 March 2013

I lived in the area for a couple of years and try to go back as often as I can- cant beat a sunset at the Wales Tale!

Best part of the BIG E is Big JIM, who runs the bar. Always courteous and friendly!
Ask him to pick a Lime from the Lime tree out back!

From the lodging standpoint the rooms are great, the food is great, and the staff is friendly.
Hope to be back soon!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brent R
EmbassySuitesDestin, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, 6 March 2013
Thank you so much for your loyality to our hotel. We love our hotel and are looking forward to a complete upgrade. We do have a lovely place here and look forward to your next visit. I will make sure to pass on your comments to Jim our bartender. Have a great week.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Vestavia Hills, Alabama
Reviewed 1 March 2013

This hotel appears to be regularly occupied at full capacity. My room was free of major damage but looks very worn out. The carpet is worn and very stained/dirty. The walls are full of scuff marks, dings, dents and damage. This is not a room I would want to walk around barefooted in or much less let a toddler crawl on the floor. The furniture looks like it is very old and worn out, however the bed was pretty comfortable. I would give it a 5 out of 10. As a Hilton Diamond member I see lots of hotel rooms. A more detailed review is below.

The bathroom was not up to par. The caulking is sloppy and it is clear they have caulked and recaulked many times and failed to clean it well as mold/mildew can be seen under the caulk. The door frame was rusted along the top. The first thing I check to see if a hotel is properly maintained is the vent in the bathroom that sucks out air to keep the condensation down. This one was not the dirtiest I have seen, but it sure wasn’t clean. This indicates the general attitude the hotel has towards maintenance. A clean one says, “We take routine maintenance really serious” This one says, “We clean what is filthy, repair what is destroyed and rig what should be fixed.” There was pink mold in the shower, black mold visible in the over flow drain and some type of filth on the wall. The fixtures were all scratched and worn out. Generally the bathroom was shot.

The room service menu is dated as “7/2012” at appears it may have been here since then as well. It is bent and generally looks dirty. It could have easily been replaced since it is just a piece of thick stock paper. The food was good, however my Sprite was absolutely disgusting. I don’t know if it was the local water or a dirty glass but it tasted like dirty dish water smells. It was also about 6 ounces for $2.75 – not a good value at all – even if it weren’t nasty . My meal was delivered on an old servers tray that was filthy from years of use. Not what I would expect.

Other little things I noticed. The fan looks like it was about to fall off the ceiling. They have replaced all the lights with the extremely harsh florecent ligting – not the new softer CFLs – because they are cheap. The television response between channel changes is very long – about 3-5 seconds. The light swithes are dirty. No news paper was delivered, yet the $0.75 was not removed from my bill.

In general this is a great hotel for college Spring Breakers but probably not family or business traverls. There is a Hampton Inn about a block up the road that is much cleaner and very new.

Overall the hotel is not well maintained in my opinion and I see lots of hotel rooms all over the country each year. I will be back in this area in a few weeks and will stay here again and hope to see improvement. If so I will update my Trip Advisor post.

Room Tip: Don't stay near the elevators - they are old and loud.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank john79g
EmbassySuitesDestin, Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
I want to first say thank you for staying with us and I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay.

I took over at the property a couple of months ago and we are still working through making some changes in the way we are doing things. Some of the items that you mentioned, such as your Room Service, is unacceptable and I will look into it. The ownership group is in the planning stages of a renovation of the entire property. This year we will be addressing our guest rooms. I do not foresee this happening before the fall as undertaking a project like this takes a lot of coordination of supplies and workforce. At that time we will be changing out everything in the rooms. This is something that typically happens in a seven year cycle.

As for some of the other Items, I walked the room with the Executive Housekeeper and pointed out where we need to do a better job.

We have a great hotel and wonderful staff. Our ranking in the Embassy Suites chain for customer service and overall experience is in the top 20% of the brand. I think that this speaks to the staff and the hard work that goes into running a quality operation. I look forward to you staying with us again in a few weeks. I am glad to see that you are still choosing us over the Hampton Inn that is just down the street.

Thanks

Rich Johnston General Manager
Embassy Suites Destin-Miramar Beach
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 27 February 2013

Embassy Suites Destin - Miramar Beach

We spent a week at this Embassy Suites and generally enjoyed the stay. The room, a “Celebration Suite with a Gulf view,” had a view of the road, a construction lot, and yes, a bit of the beach and Gulf. This Embassy Suites is definitely located in Miramar Beach, Destin itself is 5 mi down the road. This played havoc with our GPS. However, Miramar Beach is a lovely, stretch of seaside, way less crowded than the Destin spots.

Positives include:
Great breakfast, especially the omelet station, (be sure to ask for smaller omelets if you are watching your weight).
Proximity to Miramar Beach (if you are driving in and staying for awhile, bring your own beach umbrellas/chairs; Embassy/Miramar Beach rentals ($15-25) can add up each day.

Rooms were large, Nice hotel pool. There is so much to see in Destin, especially liked shopping in Destin Commons and if you love seafood, it is worth your time to drive the 12mi Old Bay Streamer in Ft. Walton.

Things to improve:
The AC in the bedroom was weak, not good when the temps hit 95-100! The rooms were dark, our room could have used a refresh or update to make it 4.5 or 5 stars

The initial check in associate (Naomi) was not at all welcoming, and bartender Jim asked me alone to show my hotel key for complementary drinks/manager’s reception (he didn't ask other guests). I raised the issue with the front desk and they brushed the matter off.

I have to admit, this hotel offered a nice romantic getaway, terrific atrium, great walks on the beach at sunset, cool, cool, emerald green water. There is a lot to like here and yes, we will stay again, however,this was the first Embassy we've stayed in that did not get the small details right.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank slt8y1
EmbassySuitesDestin, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We value your loyalty to our brand and we regret your disappointment in our service offerings. We always strive to anticipate guest needs as well as accommodate all requests. The problems you mentioned with the A/C have been addressed. We appreciate you sharing your concerns and we hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that the Embassy Suites brand is known for. Warm Regards
Tallahassee, Florida
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My husband and myself went over for the weekend.And very happy that we only live about 2 hours away from some of the WORLDS most beautiful beaches.We have stayed there a few time the staff is very friendly and always helpful.The free breakfast and happy hour is great as well.The only complaint is that on the outside and in the common area things seam like they are kept up but the rooms need some updating,the rug was stained the bathroom need a major overhaul,the bar sink faucet was falling off,but to end this on the plus side the beds are very comfortable and plenty of pillows.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris C
Thank you for keeping us top on your list of places to visit. We get great joy in knowing our guests are happy. We do have some lovely upgrades to our rooms coming soon. We can't wait to get this done and have all of our Embassy Families come back to enjoy. Stay tuned for more information regarding our renovation. Have a great week.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2013

My mother has been coming to this Embassy Suites for nearly 10 years for the months of January and February. She so very much looks forward to her 2 months in Destin and a break from the cold MidWest winters. My mother and her friends have many options when it comes to where they could stay. But year after year they choose this property. And after visiting her for a few days I understand why. The food served in the restaurant is delicious. And who can complain about free breakfast and evening cocktails? The rooms are clean (although a tad outdated) and the pool is inviting (although a tad small.) The fitness center is adquate with decent machines. The lobby is comfortable and inviting. It's a great value. But what is the real reason they keep coming back here? The people. They provide outstanding, friendly service. They are responsive to their needs. And they care that their stay is enjoyable, safe and fun. From the front desk to the restaurant staff to the maintenance workers to the maids. And they always look forward to their evening cocktails with Jim the bartender who is polite, cares enough to call them by name, remembers their favorite drinks, and gives them a good laugh. . . all of this while getting slammed for 2 hours during the manager's reception each night. Thank you Embassy Suites.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
EmbassySuitesDestin, Front Office Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
Thank you so much for the kind remarks regarding your Mother's stay with us. We love our Snowbirds and look forward to their arrival every year. They are so special to us and have certainly have become a part of our Embassy family here in Destin. I wanted to also let you know that we are in the design stages of an upgrade and we are all very excited about that. We look forward to your Mother's next vist. Thank you.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We stayed for 4 nights for a winter break and liked the view of the gulf, the room was spacious, it does need updating, but it was comfortable and pretty clean; am not sure about the jacuzzi. The breakfast was great. Zadok a superb server in the evening, the snack was very limited, however still a nice add on. The front desk was lean in staffing and did not always know the answer to simple questions. The weather not always updated daily. Overall however it was a wonderful time and we would come again.

Room Tip: Top level view to the gulf
Hudson, Florida
Reviewed 22 February 2013

Although it was not directly on the beach, it was a sort walk accross the street to a private beach. The rooms were clean and well cared for. They offered a great selection for breakfast and a complimentary happy hour. The pool was a bit small. All and all a good value.