“good place to stay!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
Ranked #7 of 38 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed 19 June 2010

We stayed at the Embassy Suites 6/13 to 6/18/10 because we had family staying at The Crescent condos across the street. We had two adults and four kids in our group. We loved the variety of foods offered for breakfast. The first morning we heard loud music next door, but never heard noise from other rooms after that. We were on the first floor with the pool outside the window and it was not distracting - but we were at the beach during the day. June grass was bad the first day (6/14) but cleared from the beach the other days. Sign on the hotel door said they were undergoing renovations, but didn't see signs of that. Lobby looked nice and the hotel was clean. We did Big Kahuna's one day, ate at Gilligans and the Crab Trap, took a ride in the Sea Blaster, and spent hours at the beach. It's a fairly easy walk across the street, through the gate, and down to the beach. I'd recommend the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 5 August 2010

Thanks so much! We do love our hotel and yes the food is fabulous. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 1 June 2010

Even after reading some not so great reviews, we decided on this hotel because, well....there was nothing else available with suites at the time we wanted to go! The hotel could use some upgrading, but I felt the decor goes along with your typical beach environment. The atrium was lovely and the kids enjoyed posing by the fountain and looking at all the plants. The staff was very friendly and quick to serve.
The breakfast was mediocre. I've had better at far less expensive, but nice hotels. My husband enjoyed the cooked to order omelets, but the ready made eggs were less than desirable. They also served: bacon, sausage, hashbrown casserole, pancakes(not so great) oatmeal, dry cereals, yogurt cups, some danishes and muffins, fresh fruit, juices, and coffee (not for the picky coffee drinker!)
It's true about the water pressure in the shower - not much of it , so you have to work hard to get that extra sand off your body and out of your hair.
The beds were comfortable. The small fridge came in handy for leftovers after eating dinner out.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank pilotswife97
Reviewed 24 January 2010

ES are extremely friendly to the business traveler and this one is no exception - great service, reliable internet and biz center, happy hour, etc. Jim, the bartender, was wonderful and provided great entertainment during happy hour. The workout room was decent though could have been kept at a cooler temperature. The furniture in the rooms could be a little higher quality and/or replaced with something in better condition.
I was told that many "snow birds" actually live in the hotel during the winter months and there was a large group of regulars there. I did find several of the men offensive in their lewd comments and occasional brushes on my legs and shoulders. I did report it to the staff but feel they should do a better job of showing their intolerance of this behavior.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank gomadforplaid
Reviewed 29 November 2009

Pros:
- Great Location. A short walk to the beach which worked great with three small children.
- Extra room. We loved the extra room that a suite hotel provides.
- Breakfast. Omlettes to order were great and there was a lot more room to eat breakfast than at the Holiday Inn Express and County Inns we have been in.
-Manager Reception. After a full day with the kids we enjoyed sitting and having a drink.

Cons:
- The walls are paper thin. NO REALLY. We heard conversations in the next room and those people were not raising their voices. This is a serious problem for this hotel. If you are a light sleeper, this hotel will probably not be for you.
- Room Cleanliness. Average I guess but you could see where areas of the rugs weren't vacuumed, mostly in the corners.
- Shower. Wow other reviews weren't kidding about the lack of pressure. Not really a big deal as I just took more time to take my shower.
- Luggage dollys. This might seem an odd comment but I could not believe a hotel of this size only had three dollys for use. 95% of the people at the hotel this week were families and this really became a problem in the last two hours of checking out.

Overall: The pros outweigh the cons unless you are a really light sleeper. I would recommend this hotel for a short stay (ours was three nights). Longer stays - look for a rental property. They are everywhere in Destin.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank JCGuy1997
Reviewed 2 October 2009

Furniture in room is worn out. TV's in room from 1970's. We have stayed at other Embassy suites all over the country and they were all nicer. We are Hilton Honor Members and would not give us our free internet.
The good part the bartender, the employee of the month, was very nice. The omletts were very good, but the coffee weak. Don't stay here, just because it is an Embassy Suite Hotel. It is independently owned and operatored. the guy that owns the place is running it into the ground with spending a penny to improve it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CLASS69LA
Reviewed 30 September 2009

You know, I grew up very modestly, so I truly am not a hotel snob, but I was very disappointed in this establishment. I sat down and compiled a list of pros and cons:
PROS:
*Very Friendly & Helpful Staff
*Pretty Atrium
*Free Breakfast Buffet every day
NEGATIVES:
*Very mediocre & shabby rooms
*Room a/c did not cool efficiently (we had to buy a fan to sleep comfortably!)
*Internet is $10 per day, PER COMPUTER!!! I asked them, "You do realize it's 2009, right?" I can get free internet at my coffee shop and library, but not at a hotel where I'm spending hundreds of dollars?? REALLY??
*Breakfast buffet is free, but AWFUL. (OK, I realize that because I'm from Louisiana I'm a little spoiled on food quality, but this was substandard. I've had better at a Holiday Inn.
*The pool is LAME -- Seriously y'all; remember the budget hotels of the 1970's and 1980's? That's what this looked like! A rectangle surrounded by a fence on the side of the hotel. It really looked like an after-thought. NOT Embassy Suites-worthy at all!
*The hotel is across the street from the beach which doesn't seem like a big deal until you actually have to deal with it with 3 children! There's no running back up to the room to get something if you forget it or if someone needs to use the bathroom. Lugging ALL of our stuff to and from the beach was not pleasant. And twice, it started to rain when we were walking back... something else to consider when the beach is across the street. One final thought on this which I did not consider when booking: there is no looking out your window and seeing the waves and sand. Our view was of a parking lot. No going to sleep to the sound of waves crashing on the shore; you wouldn't even know you were near the beach in this hotel!
*NO BALCONY -- that also may not seem important, but when you have children (or even if you don't) you don't realize how important that balcony is for hanging up wet swimsuits and beach towels and storing sandy beach toys and boogie boards until your next trek to the beach. The result? Your living area becomes your "balcony" and you end up having sand EVERYWHERE.
*Movie rentals through the hotel (no DVD player) cost $14 per day and if you accidentally bump or drop the remote and the channel should change? They will NOT refund your $14 and you can NOT go back to watching the movie! Seriously? It's 2009, PEOPLE!!! You can watch movies on your iPhone! WHY can't Embassy Suites get with the program?
*NOISY -- walls are paper-thin and we could hear some class reunion going on downstairs (we were on the top floor!) until late into the evening. Thank goodness we sleep with white noise machines or this would have been a real problem, but for those of you who don't, you need to know this.
*The SHOWER IS THE MOST AWFUL, WEAKEST SHOWER I HAVE EVER USED!! And yes, I'm counting the shower from church camp when I was 12. Ok, people; we're coming back from the beach, covered in sand and sunscreen (and who knows what else) and I get in the shower to wash it off... out comes the weakest water stream I've ever seen! It took me a good 45 minutes to take my shower! Now, I realize they do this to save money on water, but I don't think 45 minute showers are very eco-friendly, either. They need to install power-sprayers which use the same amount (or a little more) of water but manipulate it in such a way that you get a more forceful spray which will rinse out shampoo and actually get you clean. Seems like a no-brainer to me.

I started to say that this hotel would be ok if you were just traveling on business with no intention of hitting the beach and no kids to entertain, but when you consider the internet charges, the horrible shower, and the paper-thin walls, that is just not true.
This hotel needs serious help. I really hate to say that because the staff was absolutely AWESOME... so friendly & helpful to us! And I wouldn't complain if it was a Comfort Inn or Quality Inn, but since they are calling themselves, "Embassy Suites" and charging Hilton prices, they need to get a clue.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank PopcornGirl
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We stayed at ES for 2 weeks. I found the rooms relatively clean except for corner areas and behind drapes. I didn't find the room decor dated, but the feeling that the furniture was worn might be a better description.
We brought our bikes, and since there's no bike rack out front, you can keep them in your room or with security who will keep them for you in their office.
The water out of the tap wasn't very good, so you might want to get some bottled water. I found the beds quite comfortable for a hotel.
The staff was relatively nice, but not necessarily friendly.
The breakfasts were delicious. We had Eggbeater's omelets everyday, but you can get real egg omelets, eggs to order, and they were happy to make me fresh pancakes instead of getting them from the buffet. The fresh ones were much better. There's fresh melon, bananas, yogurt, oatmeal with all the fixings, cereal, juices, milk, danish and breads. The buffet included grits, bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, pancakes, and hash brown potatoes. I'd rate this 5 out of 5.
The Manager's Reception was very good too. At no charge you can get house liquors, Bud Lite and Miller Lite drafts, wine, The famous Jim's Juice which is a rum punch, great Margarita's, Chips with salsa, cheese and chili, snack mix, and sometimes pasta salads.
I'd rate this 5 out of 5.
We never ate at the hotel restaurant so I can't comment on that, nor did we order room-service.
The pool is very well kept and clean. It may be on the smallish size, but I found it a delightful area to sun.
The beach was a short walk, and like another poster said, the private gate access just requires either a code, or a turn of the door knob on the opposite side. Just slip your hand through the bars. That's one thing I don't understand.
The beach area is breathtaking. Not as crowded as many other areas a short distance away. You can rent chairs, parasail, kayak, and catch a snorkel tour from there at an additional cost.
The hotel is situated near lots of shopping (outlet mall) and restaurants. It's on a long strip of hotels and houses, and you can ride your bike all the way to the end and back in an hour. Not hilly. It's a beautiful way to see the beaches and ocean.
Pompano Joe's is a popular restaurant not far from ES, as well as 2 Crab Shacks. Both good but a bit pricey. They are all located on the beach, so great views.
If you like good Asian food, try Lin's right down the street. Excellent quality and very reasonable. They don't deliver, but it's very close, and you can order take-out.
Jordano's Pizza delivers and I highly recommend their pizza. Excellent. They stop delivering around 9 p.m. We also had a good pie from Papa John's who deliver later.
All in all, I enjoyed our stay at this ES. Like others have said, it's not the best ES I've stayed in, but it's quite adequate.
We didn't use the gym, but it looked very nice with newer equipment. We saw lots of folks using it.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple