“large, lovely room - but overpriced during construction”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
“large, lovely room - but overpriced during construction”
Reviewed 26 March 2011

Absolutely loved the room - spacious, beautiful furnishings, very comfortable and spotless. Good ethernet connection instead of WI FI - but that is the case in half the hotels I've stayed in from coast to coast, despite what some reviewers have said. If they stayed in hotels more often (some years I have logged 250 hotel nights), they would know better than to expect WI FI everywhere they go.

The saying goes "you get what you pay for" and if it weren't for the construction noise seven days/week, I would say this property might be worth the high prices. Even with the warning, it is very tedious to hear the work going all day. Supposedly it will be over soon.

After the construction ended, I went out onto the good sized balcony to enjoy the view of the Gulf. I was on the top floor of my building so the view should have been quite nice. However, after sundown, you literally can no longer see the Gulf from any of buildings that face the pool because an ultra high intensity light has been hung outside the wing closest to the pool. My guess is that it was done due to guest complaints about folks misbehaving in the pool at night. If so - why not hang it lower near the pool so those of us on upper floors can still enjoy a bit of the view we had looked forward to? As it is now, it is so bright and placed so that everyone's view is wiped out by this intense light. Ugh.

If I return, I will opt for the oceanfront buildings and the oceanfront rooms so that I can look out and see the lovely Gulf in spite of the ultra intense lighting of the pool area. And the construction will be done to further enhance my enjoyment of this great setting.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank alohatad
HiltonSandestinBeach, Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 29 March 2011
We thank you very much for the kind words and we are very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Barefoot's Restaurant officially opened Friday March 25th 2011. We are currently finishing the final work on our "Sunrise" deck towards the eastern most edge of the property. And as for the very intense light on the deck, it is actually only in place until the work is completely finished as a safety precaution while in progress.

We are excited despite the construction you noticed how wonderful our property is. We look forward to your return!

Thank you very much for your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (459)
Reviewed 15 March 2011

We stayed here during our honeymoon. The staff was very kind and helpful. We arrived to find our room with a trail of rose petals leading to the bed. Yes, it is expensive but it's extremely clean and rooms are spacious. We will be coming back!

• Stayed March 2011
Concord, NC
Reviewed 9 March 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our recent trip to Destin, FL and our stay at the Hitlon Sandestin Resort! The rooms were spacious (would be great for a family trip), well decorated and clean. The beach and grounds were really well-maintained. Ongoing construction due to a fire last year was a bit of an eye sore, but couldn't be helped. The breakfast buffet was pricey, but the food was terrific. The location was great - close to shopping, dining and many other activities. The servers in the bar area and the buffet were all great with one exception. The bartender on duty both nights at the bar itself was not pleasant at all. While our drinks were fine and served promptly, there was little courtesy or customer service involved. The experience would have been much more enjoyable had she appeared to not dislike everyone and everything so much. We thought at first she may have just been having an off night, but we got the same prickly personality the second night. Which explained the very light bar patronage at a time when the hotel was quite full due to conventions and a wedding.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Wake Forest, North Carolina
Reviewed 8 March 2011

We went down for a wedding in October of 2009 and everything was perfect. Half of the wedding guest stayed somewhere else and wanted our hotel way more. I got an upgrade as soon as we got there and for a weekend night & 99 for a suite. LOVED IT... it was even warm enough to brave the water. The rooms are beautiful and just perfect for a getaway.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Georgia
Reviewed 28 February 2011

I stayed the weekend here, having done so many times before. I knew there was a fire and saw the site last fall. I knew from reading online that there would be construction right now. I assumed they might not work on the weekend--I should have asked! We were put on the east side of the complex so we did not look out over the construction site. We did however hear the bobcat and worker traffic between the site and the parking lot. It was lots of the "beep--beep-beep" of the bobcat and workers shouting to each other most of the day. There was also some kind of work being done to balconies which involved workers on scaffolding outside the window. They were not outside ours but this would have been extremely unsettling and we were not told when we booked or when we checked in. I still love this hotel and the beach, but I won't stay there again until the construction is over. I think we should have been offered some free perk (full breakfast instead of continental, free beach setup, free parking,etc.) for having to listen to the noise. A condo would have been much better this time for us! I love sitting on the balcony looking at water and hearing the waves and that simply wasn't the same with all the noise.

Stayed February 2011, travelled with family
HiltonSandestinBeach, Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 20 March 2011
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort and Spa.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during our renovations. Even though we have posted updates and notices of our progress on our website and various areas throughout the hotel it can still be interruptive at times. However, the noise is minimized to the hours of 9am to 6pm. We are anticipating the majority of the construction to end by March 25th.

Should you reconsider the Hilton Sandestin Beach in your future travels, please let me know. We’d be delighted to host you again and provide you with the excellence in service and amenities for which we’ve distinguished ourselves over the past 26 years.
f
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Don't get me wrong the hotel is nice but overpriced. This is the second time I have stayed here and I'm not satisfied with this hotel at the price they charge; everything is ridiculously expensive. My business picked up the expenses so I can't complain too much. However, for those that pay for their stay out of pocket there are some things you need to know. If you have a vehicle they charge you $10 a day for parking. It doesn't matter where you park they are going to try to make money off a asphalt parking space. The general good store is overpriced; a coke and bag of chips was over $8. The breakfast buffet, also overpriced, at $18 for one person. However, the breakfast buffet was very good. There is a sushi restaurant in the hotel that is very, very good. The sushi was also expensive but I think was well worth it. As for cleanliness the only problem I have is with the house keeping. My first stay I noticed the drinking glasses that are in the room were dirty, one which had the previous guests lipstick on it. I decided to leave the glass out so housekeeping would replace it with a clean glass. Instead of washing the glass properly, they used a rag, the same one they used to wipe other surfaces, to clean the glass. Needless to say the glass had the same lipstick on it my entire stay. My stay was for 2 weeks and the glass was never cleaned properly. Finally, the laundry services available to guests suck. The laundry service is so overpriced it's unbelievable, and is not available on the weekends. The washers and dryers available to the guests do not work all that well. I believe the hotel provides substandard washers and dryers on purpose so you will use their overpriced laundry service. So while the hotel may be in a nice area with a great view, I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank xfgt
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed 24 February 2011

My husband and I wanted to quick weekend getaway from our children and normal hectic schedule. He's active duty and we got an EXCELLENT rate for our 3 day excursion February 19-21. We were allowed to check in early, and the hotel was very clean and the accomodations were very nice. The complimentary breakfast buffet was wonderful, and so was the quaint lunch and dinner we had with some friends. We did experience a bit of an uncomfortable situation when the pianist and a waitress got into a verbal spat while we waited for our lunch to be served. It left me and my friends quite wide eyed. We laughed about it later.

Our stay was wonderful and relaxing, except for the noise coming from the construction. We were upgraded to a 7th room floor with an ocean view, but the construction was right under our balcony. I certainly understand the unfortunate circumstances that caused the constuction, however, when construction continued at 8:00am on SUNDAY morning, I was a bit flustered. I could hear every beat of the hammer, every bit of wood being tossed about, and the incessant beep coming from the equipment being used. So I didn't get to enjoy the awesome seabreeze because the noise was too much. Also the walls seem thin because we could hear the family that stayed in the adjoining room. Maybe the locked adjoining door played a big part of that.

Other than that, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and will return with our children, probably this coming weekend! I will request a room with a beach view AWAY from the construction area.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple