“Great location but needs work...”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Meridian, Mississippi
“Great location but needs work...”
Reviewed 13 July 2011

I was at this hotel for a business meeting and stayed the weekend for a little R&R. The positives first: excellent location, wonderful views, the front desk and valet/bellmen were great and the meeting rooms are very good. The negatives: ordered room service twice and both times the food was cold, housekeeping is bad. Had to call for hand towels almost every day (they didn't leave any), no regular coffee in the room... it looked like all they did was make up the bed. The bartender in the beach hut was very rude everyday... There were a lot of private functions so many places in the hotel were closed daily to paying guest (pool bar and restaurant, sunset patio, etc). I travel expensively for businees and pleasure and stay at the Hilton chain every chance I get. As a result I have come to expect a level of quality that this particular hotel just hasn't reached.

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank ReadytoTravel51
HiltonSandestinBeach, Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 15 July 2011
Thank you for sharing your positive comments and constructive feedback. It is our guests’ feedback that allows us to continue to better ourselves and adhere to the standards of excellence that have distinguished us as the area’s premier resort hotel for 27 years. I will share your comments with the appropriate departments in order to prevent this from happening in the future.

We appreciate having had the opportunity to host you here at the Hilton Sandestin Beach and hope to seeing you again in the near future. Thanks again for taking the time to write us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (463)
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here over the 4th of July for 5 nights in a king bed, beach view room. Our room was in the spa tower, which I would recommend because the parking for this area was so convenient. We overlooked the pool and had a great view of the ocean.

As with any gulf coast beach resort I am aware of daily beach chair rental is expensive and not provided by the resort. If you elect to stay somewhere else, you will most likely encounter similar charges. We purchased our own chairs and umbrella for the cost of one days rental at a local store. We never had anyone tell us that we could not put our chairs wherever we wanted, and believe me I insist in being on the front row!

Any resort I have been to in America and other countries the pool chairs are reserved by 8:00 a.m. We were generally on the beach until around 3:00 and then headed to the pool for a bit, and we were generally able to find a few chairs at that time.

Be patient with the tram service, take a drink with you and relax! We took the tram to Baytowne every night for dinner and rarely waited more than 15 minutes.

Overall, we had a great trip with no major complaints. This is not a "ritzy" hotel, it is casual and comfortable with great beach and pool access. If you are spending most of your time outside (which is why you come here) I don't see what there is to complain about!

Room Tip: Beach view
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gary-Jill
Sherwood, Arkansas
Reviewed 11 July 2011

This was the worst hotel I ever stayed in. First of all, I left my ipod dock in the hotel room while i went to play golf at baytowne, i assume housekeeping must have stole it because when i got back, it wasnt there. The surroundings in the building were not near as good as the website said. I definatly wont be staying here anymore!!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank timbo139
Thank you for staying at the Hilton Sandestin Beach Golf Resort & Spa. We pride ourselves in being a family-friendly resort hotel and appreciate your feedback, as it allows us to continue to better our guests’ experience.

I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your iPod dock but do hope you contacted our on-site security department to inquire about the item, as it’s possible it could’ve been turned in to our lost-and-found. Per protocol, all misplaced belongings found in the hotel are turned into security and recorded accordingly.

I regret that you did not find the Destin area enjoyable but appreciate having had the opportunity to host you during your visit. Thanks again for your feedback.
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I have never written a review before but could not stand the thought that another family would spend their summer vacation here. I'll keep it short. You will NEVER have a chair at the pool unless you wake up at 6 am to fight for one. Or as they told me I can pay $10 to reserve one. Seriously? Want to enjoy the beach instead? It will cost over $40 a day to rent an umbrella and chair. I tried to set up my own and was told I wasn't "allowed" to put my umbrella in front of their chairs. How am I suppose to watch my four kids playing in the ocean three rows back? Want to park in their parking lot? $10 a day. We are paying $420 a night for our room. Plan on waiting 10 to 15 min. For every elevator ride. The one plus. They let us leave early.

• Stayed July 2011
3 Thank Mercer71
Johnson City, Tennessee
Reviewed 11 July 2011

We have been staying here for the past twelve years and the front desk staff are not overly friendly and are downright rude at times. Only when we stayed here in 2010 were they nice and that was because nobody came because of the oil spill. That year the Hilton provided free ice cream by the pool, free popcorn, free water slide on the beach for the kids, this year the waterslide cost $14.00 per child, $4.00 for popcorn or ice cream. The front desk told me check in time was 4pm, which I knew and I waited until about 2:30 pm to see if they had any rooms ready yet, people were already checking in by that time. Upon check-in, even though I had booked a Deluxe Jr Ste, I was told none was available and I had just booked a room to be chosen at check-in. I did finally get my suite the next day. I had forgot my confirmed reservation so I couldn't show my proof, but when I got back home-there it was-a confirmation for a deluxe junior suite! Another family I know checked in at about 10:30 pm that same night and what do you know-a Deluxe Junior Suite was available! The next day when I went to change to my suite at 9am there was a couple next to me checking in to the hotel at 9am not 4pm-the strictly enforced time of the day before! In other words, the front desk personnel are selective in who gets in and at what time.

The room was not that great, just average and I had to request extra towels and washcloths every day. One day the maids only left one washcloth for five people and when I asked a maid in the foyer for extra ones she would not give them to me because I had already called the front desk with my request. I had only asked her because it had been over thirty minutes and we had still not received them. For the entire week, we were never brought clean glasses for our room. The only thing I know the maids did was change the beds, I'm not sure they ever cleaned the bathrooms. I will say in the past years I have received better maid service. The sound on the TV in the childrens area didn't work on certain channels, but they did fix this. The trash can in the foyer by the elevators was full and wasn't emptied for 2 days.

This hotel is very expensive and their customer service is terrible. They act like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there. I will say the fireworks show and food on the 4th was excellent. This hotel is in a beautiful setting but their looks are deceiving. Only average rooms with poor service and management certainly could care less.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank CarMat98
Columbia, SC
Reviewed 7 July 2011

We have a very nice stay in one of the bunk bed rooms. Very kid friendly hotel with
all sorts of food available right by the pool. Pool area was very nice and clean--plenty
of chairs and right on the ocean. Pizza and sandwich shop was perfect for the kids
but the bar also had great salads and grouper taco's! Room was very spacious and
bunk bed area had extra TV for the kids. We had a frig., microwave and coffee maker
but there is a Starbucks in the hotel--kids enjoyed going down to get coffee for me!
The tram was a little slow and we had to wait a while to catch it but is was worth not
paying a cab $20.00 to take you across the highway to get to the restaurants. Lots of
things for the kids to do over there.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank beachessc
Lawrenceville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 July 2011

I ended up with the Hilton after naming my price. Priceline dot com. Of course, you don't know who accepts your bid until after the fact. There were a lot of negative comments on this place when I researched it, after being notified that this was the place that accepted my price, so I was a bit skeptical. However, I was pleasantly pleased. I did the pre check-in, when you give the front desk your phone number & they call when your room is ready. We went to lunch up the street & as we were getting in the car, the phone rang that our room was ready. The grounds were nice/clean, as was the lobby. We ended up with doubles instead of a king but was told that the next day we could see if a king was available. Hubby didn't want to move, so we didn't bother & it was just fine. The beds were SUPER COMFY! They had bunks in the walk way from the door. We had a partial view which was actually quite nice. We had read up on the expensive chair/umbrella rentals, so purchased our own from Walmart before leaving for the trip. In the hotel book, it stated that there were to be no personal coolers on the beach. So we ended up driving to public beach access that first day. However, the next day, we saw lots of ppl on the property w/their own coolers. :o I don't think they really mind. But they do not allow glass bottles on the beach - though I saw some ppl using them w/koozies. The showerhead was great; just the right pressure for me. I had no complaints about my stay overall. I had very little interaction with the front desk staff - only to check in. Whenever I came into contact with staff, in walking through the hotel, everyone always greeted hubby and I with a smile. Rooms were clean, staff seemed cordial enough. We weren't feeling the $10/per night self-parking fee but hey, what can you do?! The parking lot sometimes got pretty full by the time we got back from dinner. You can use valet for $20/per night. I would definitely stay here again, as I have no complaints. Maybe I got lucky, but would definitely try my luck again in the future! (We used cable to connect to the internet, as I don't believe they offer wi-fi in the rooms.)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple