“Living up to the name”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Atlanta, United States
“Living up to the name”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

The Sandestin Hilton lived up to the Hilton name from the moment I crossed thru the gate . The grounds were beautiful , the hotel was newly remodeled and done with contemporary elegance . It was right on the ocean and the views were perfect . If I had one "ding" it would be the portion of alcoholic beverages for the price you paid .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Gary K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Have stayed in Sandestin and the 30A area for 20 years. Have never stayed in a hotel. Have always rented a condo. We picked the hotel as we felt we could host the bridal shower at the pool. We rented two poolside cabanas. Woke up and it was pouring rain with thunder and lightning. The pool staff was fantastic. They set us up at the indoor pool area so the show could go on.
The hotel itself has a lovely setting. It opens up to to the beautiful beaches of Northwest Florida. It has recently been renovated and is very modern and open feeling. We stayed in the spa wing. Our room was spacious and clean. Room service was very good. The valet service was busy. Getting my car sometimes took a little longer than I would like. However, I was on beach time. The breakfast restaurant and the poolside restaurant were both very good. We did have trouble with the Internet. It was not very reliable. That is somewhat disappointing especially when you're paying extra for it. Also, we lost water in our room for about 2 hours before going to dinner one night and this is right after we had worked out in the fitness center. Minor problems.
Overall a lovely facility with a great setting. It is expensive, but you are paying for location and service.
We plan on coming back with our children.
Finally, I would say the staff is very outgoing and friendly. We did not meet anyone that was not accommodating and pleasant. You do have to drive through Sandestin on the way into the hotel. They have their own security force that seems hell bent on pulling over as many tourists as possible. They pulled me over for going 31 miles an hour in a 23 mile an hour speed zone even though there was a radar sign right in front of where he pulled me over saying I was going 19 miles an hour. The same as my car's speedometer. The security officer acted like he was a legal police officer. Be careful driving to the hotel. I did complain to the front desk of the hotel that I thought I was being harassed. They said that was a common complaint. They did have the lieutenant call me. He called me at 11:15 at night. I am quite sure that he was either intoxicated or illiterate. He told me if I didn't pay the ticket they would charge me a hundred dollars a day and take me to small claims court. Interestingly the next day the two here's your speed radar signs were turned off. None of this was the hotel's fault.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank John F
Bonaire
Reviewed 15 July 2014 via mobile

Extremely nice and clean. Service is awesome. Perfect for families. Can get pricey if you let it with all of the amenities, but very nice. I would highly recommend it and plan on coming back whenever possible.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank KristaRW
HEATH, United States
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Absolutely best stay ever! Great service and location. Loved our stay and will be back soon! Rooms were big, clean and comfortable. Beaches were the best. Great pool areas never felt too crowded. Staff always smiling and offering their assistance.

1 Thank Brenda H
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights in July 2014. Overall, a very nice Hilton, but if you're planning to stay on the property, it can very quickly get expensive for your family. We had lunch, without alcohol, for a family of 5 with 3 kids for almost $100 outside on the patio bar, and that was the cheapest restaurant. The outside beach chair set-up is close to $50, and that was in the second row. However, it was a beautiful hotel and the rooms are nice. I would recommend going across the street and spending your money at PF Changs or Tommy Bahamas for dinner. The spa was excellent, but this hotel is VERY busy with conventions during the summer and the elevator will sometimes stop on every floor, so be patient. In my opinion, it is the best hotel in Destin/Florida Panhandle.

Room Tip: Ask for the Emerald Tower - the newer building. Beachfront - room on high floor.
6 Thank KatieSelman
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed 13 July 2014

It is a very nice property. Food is good, but overpriced. Rooms was very nice, as was the bathroom. Good linens, good water pressure. Like very much the recycling bin at the end of the hall. But they do nickel and dime you to death, extra for wifi, parking, that sort of thing. I don't mind paying for a good room at a nice hotel, and don't consider myself cheap at all. But I think those things should be included in your stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank jsm317
montgomery, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Excellent resort from the staff to the grounds and accommodations .They made us feel like royalty and beach view from our room was breath taking .We will definantly be back .Hilton definatly lives up to their name .

1 Thank Fredrick H