“Beautiful experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Tallahassee, Florida
“Beautiful experience”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

This is the place to go for a real vacation! Our sleeping room was gorgeous and spacious (king suite), and, though pricy, the restaurants boast great food and service. My favorite part about our family trip here was going down to the beach early in the morning to play in the water. The ocean is crystal clear... and if the Oceanus not your bag, there are swimming pools EVERYWHERE, both indoors and out.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Leah W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Alexander City, Alabama
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Loved this place. Everything is right here so no need to leave if you choose not to. Starbucks coffee in the Hotel was wonderful. Near by activities for the I entire family. Only thing is I wish the ice cream store stayed open later than 6. Was looking forward to one after dinner.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Shellylynnj
Enterprise, Alabama
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We did not enjoy our stay at this property. My husband and I are typically not 'all inclusive resort' type people, as we prefer to get out on the town and explore the local area/food/culture, etc. We knew going in that this was a large resort that would probably be packed with vacationing families, and overpriced amenities. So, for the purposes of this review, I would prefer to stick to the quality of the hotel itself, keeping in mind that an all inclusive resort is exactly what many families are looking for.

The worst part of our stay, and the biggest reason for the 'poor' rating, was the security factor. When we walked into our room initially, the sliding door was cracked open. We immediately took a look to make sure we could lock it, and were told, rather rudely, that they would send someone up and that there were no rooms available for us to move to with a secure door...and then she hung up on us. Horrible first impression.

What?! In a resort with literally HUNDREDS of rooms, there is not ONE that a party of two could transfer to with a secure door?? Especially just above ground level and directly above an easily accessible roof? Evidently not. We hid our belongings, removed our electronics and went to dinner. Upon our return, an employee had come up and replaced the oh-so-secure rod that had apparently fallen to the floor before our arrival, if it was ever actually placed to begin with, back in it's place, and that was that. We decided not to pursue this issue with a manager, as we only had one night before my husband left for a six week military class, and wanted to enjoy each other, versus fighting with a hotel that obviously didn't care.

The room itself was just ok. Certainly not indicative of the $340 that we paid for it. For that kind of money, you can get much more of a view and plush interior, just down the street at a competing hotel. Our room was 'ocean view', which it did. However, our room was on the third floor, directly over a protruding roof, and within about 20 yards of the multiple pools, bars and activities going on below us. Quiet was never an option, nor was any sort of privacy on our balcony to enjoy a cup of coffee in the morning. We were privy to the sounds of pool guests from very early in the morning to very late. The one evening we did spend, we were kept up until 3am by the sounds of a belligerent drunk woman screaming with/at her teenage children in the room next to us. Granted, this was not the fault of the hotel, but it sure did add a sour note to our stay. The walls are thin. We finally called the front desk to intervene, and about 15 minutes later, someone did show up to ask for quiet.

Yes, you do have to pay for parking in the very hotel which you just paid $340/night. Seems completely unnecessary and ridiculous, given the amount that you pay for your room. This must be a standard Hilton practice, as the same thing happened in another city a few years ago. Terrible. We did not eat at the breakfast buffet, because the price seemed unreasonable, and just across the street there are quite a few viable options.

The employees that we did come in contact with were not impressive. Mostly distracted and curt, due to the large amounts of people they were undoubtedly dealing with hour to hour. The beach was, of course, packed to the inch with umbrellas (for rent) and people. True that it is easy to access though.

Overall, we will not return to this hotel, even if it is the only option for a last minute getaway. Our opinion is that it is an overpriced, inauthentic, corporate cash cow. Lesson learned.

Room Tip: Higher floors will have less ground noise from pools/bars/people
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jasmine10
HSBGeneralManager, General Manager at Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 September 2014
Dear Jasmine10,

We appreciate your honest input on our service and appointment and assure you the comfort and safety of our guests is our highest priority. We will use your comments as we continue to evolve our guests' experience through ongoing service training and security measures.

We hope you will return to stay with us the next time you are in the area so we may better demonstrate our commitment to your satisfaction. If we may be of any additional assistance or if you would like to discuss your stay further, please do not hesitate to contact our offices directly.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager

HILTON SANDESTIN BEACH GOLF RESORT & SPA
t: +1 850 267 9500 I f: +1 850 267 0963
Texas
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Very nice resort with a beautiful beach pristine sand and green water.

Hotel is great extra charges are not so great.

Hotel is kind of pricey you have to pay $45 a day to rent an umbrella and chair and $10 a day for regular parking and $25 a day for valet parking. In addition there is no free wireless Internet it was $10 per day. I would think that a Hilton as much as you pay would offer free Wi-Fi. We had a deluxe junior suite which had a kids bunk bed area which was awesome for the kids to keep them separate from the adults. The only cons about this hotel is that the beds were quite low to the ground and didn't feel as plush as advertised on website. The beds were soft but seems like they were just laid on the floor with no bed frame. Also they have the smallest and narrowest trash cans so take trash bags if you have kids.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank HouTexasGal
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

As a Hilton honors member I was looking forward to staying at the Sandestin Hilton, but will not be back. The hotel has made only minor upgrades to the rooms so you are really staying in an older hotel with old bath fixtures (tile, tub, toilet) that has a new paint job. The bed wasn't very comfortable, and my room had an adjoining room with a door attaching them which I always despise. No privacy. We stayed in the junior suite king deluxe beachfront room which is a nice sized room with a small balcony with a great view and a little bunk room area for kids which was cute and would work well for small families. As an honors member and a paying guest I would expect complimentary wifi in the room, but they want to charge you for that separately. absolute rip off in my opinion. I also tried ordering room service (wine, cheese, after dinner drinks from the in room menu) but was transferred back and forth three times, and still no one was able or willing to take my order. total bomb. Do yourself a favor and go stay on 30A.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Cetley,

Though I appreciate your candid comments, I am bit surprised that your perception is only minor upgrades were made. Over the past three years the Hilton Sandestin has spent in excess of $20MM in renovations to our pool decks, meeting space, public space, dining facilities and guest rooms.

Complimentary Wifi is an amenity that is offered to Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members. I will be certain to discuss your poor In Room Dining experience with our Director of Food & Beverage so we can prevent this type of experience from occurring in the future.

We hope you enjoy your next stay on 30A.

GARY BRIELMAYER I General Manager
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 17 August 2014

We all know the problems with coming to the beach. Too many people, too much stuff to carry over to the beach, small hotel rooms or pricey rentals. When we have a long weekend or a week, we want to relax.

This is my two cents worth after experiencing hospitality and a great time:

1. The Hilton Sandestin has renovated to the contemporary beach wow factor. You won't believe it until you see it.
2. Rooms are spacious, and yes they kept all those nice bunk rooms for families, even beachfront.
3. Check out the fall rates... very attractive.
4. Self-contained resort. 5 pools, full service spa and fitness, golf, tram around the resort, use of all facilities. Sushi bar in the lobby with contemporary media wall. Full service restaurant and specialty restaurants. Pool deck and beach front amenities to give your family a good time.

All in all, it's a easy way to take in the best of Destin/30-A on a predictable budget. Thanks to Richard Ross and Elyse Graver for helping to make our weekend great. What a staff!!

Room Tip: You won't need beachfront to have a fabulous view, just specify beach view. Emerald Tower conta...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank barbadiantraveler
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I have stayed at the Hilton Sandestin many times over the years - almost exclusively for business conferences. On this stay, they were celebrating their 30th birthday - complete with nicely refinished common areas. Unfortunately, this is where the improvements seemed to end. The published check-in time was 4pm, this already seemed a little late to me, so I was miffed when my corner suite was not ready when I arrived at 4pm (after waiting nearly 30 minutes in the check in line). I was told, "housekeeping is in there now, it shouldn't be long." An hour and a half later I was told, "the reason it isn't ready is that something is broken and maintenance has been in there, we will call you on your cellphone when it is ready." A half hour later they called and told that the room was ready. I told the service associate, "look, by the time I get my bags in the room and settled it is going to be 730pm. I've already had to postpone my dinner reservations. Do you guys offer tonight free or reduced or a spa credit or something?" The fellow matter-of-factly told me, "I can offer you a $50 credit for tonight." This is a fine solution, if a little puny, but I had to ask for it, it was not offered, and at no point was the staff particularly apologetic. Further, they insisted that when I go to get the room keys that I again wait in line. FWIW, the corner room was very nice with wonderful views.
After a rushed dinner I returned to the room and decided to use the (heavily advertised) jacuzzi to relax. Guess what? I found the broken item in the room. The next morning I called to have the jacuzzi serviced. I happened to pass the technician on his way to my room. He said, "I'll take a look, but I don't think I can fix it." Huh? Ok, fine, but maybe you should call someone with a little more confidence/competence. And again, no apology. Returning to the room after a workout I discovered he was correct. He couldn't fix it. (I called again the next day and they did get it fixed finally).
So, I went to the pool to relax. They were out of towels. Again, really wimpy apologies, and zero attempt to creatively solve the problem (get some extras from housekeeping?) I went back up to the room to bring some bath towels down. A colleague of mine ordered chicken fingers at poolside - 2 hours later, after three requests of the wait staff she finally got them. Again, there was a meek "sorry for the wait" but no attempt at making it right. In my opinion, there is no question that after a two hour wait for a simple short order - it should be free.
That night I was having dinner off-property. I called to have my car brought around from valet. I was told, "Yes Sir, of course, will you please hand your ticket to the valet at the bell desk?" Sure. When I get to the bell desk, this apparently meant, "No sir, we will not get your car until you show your face at the bell desk." After waiting 10 minutes I got the car. I thought this was odd and unnecessary, so, the next time I needed the car, I called again asking for them to bring it around. Again they said, "Yes sir etc..." I responded, "I tell you what why don't you just go ahead and get it so I don't have to wait when I get down there?" The staff member started in with, " Well if you just give us the ticket.....nevermind I'll just get it."
Anyway, it was a fine room. The hotel is in an awesome location. The spa and gym are very good. It just seems that this place is REALLY misfiring when it comes to service. They seem to have certain policies for which the customer is not always right. It also seemed that for such a large resort they seemed completely incapable of handling being fully booked.

Room Tip: The rooms at the end of the halls are the suites I think and have great views....but they are a pre...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business