“We will stay here again”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #7 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Nashville, Tennessee
“We will stay here again”
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My husband and I stayed here with our son and his friend. We were on the 11th floor with an ocean view but only one side and mostly parking lot. It was a very nice hotel and the room was spacious but the bunk beds were sqeezed in right at the door which made it tight and crowded at the entrance. The doors shut hard/loud and the walls are thin ( a crying baby woke us several nights next door). Housekeeping did not vacuum daily or change the sheeets but they did respond quickly to towel, hanger, blanket requests. The pool area is nice but you better claim a lounge chair early in the morning.. It can get crowded at certain times of the day but my husband and I went to the cabana/deck early in the morning with our coffee and sat at a bar stool overlooking the beach and again at night with our wine and it was very peacful! Very good location to shopping, restaurants and the free shuttle service to Baytowne Wharf is great. They charge $10 a day for parking and $42. for beach umbrella w/ 2 chairs for all day.If you do rent an umbrella, wait service comes around to get drink/lunch orders and brings it right to you! Nice! We had breakfast vouchers but only for continental which was fine with us! They also have Starbucks in the hotel :) You have to wait for a table at breakfast if you dont get down early. Overall, it was a great stay and we will definitely be back! YES, everything is more expensive here and YES, it is bustling with kids.... But its Destin, Florida, and your on vacation!!
btw: dont leave your shoes in the cubbie bins at the beach like everyone does. Our son had his shoes stolen the first day!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My husband and I booked this at the last minute for the 4th of July weekend and loved every minute of our weekend! The room was large and comfortable, had a great view of the beach and fireworks. The only thing I would change is the level of knowledge of the concierge (virtually non-existent) and the bellmen. Although they were very nice and seemed to want to help, they did not seem to be "destination experts" as I would expect from a resort of this calibre. Seagars was amazing, best steak I've ever eaten and impeccable service!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Lowell, Indiana
Reviewed 26 June 2009

My husband and I just returned from the Hilton Sandestin with our 3 month old baby. I was a little worried due to some people's reviews but, they were very wrong. The resort is beautiful, clean, and service was very good. Yes it was expensive and they do charge for almost everything but what do you expect? You're in a family resort in Florida! If you want an all inclusive go to MEXICO! First of all the breakfast buffet was delicious! It was$36.00 for two not including tip. It had everything plus ready to order omlettes and waffles. We ate off site one day at Another Broken Egg Cafe(It was delicious by the way, I had crab cakes Eggs Benedict) and it was $42.00 so I think$36.00 was pretty good deal. We stayed in the tower with the rooms with the bunk beds which are excellent if you have children. We had a beautiful view of the ocean and the resort. We ordered room service twice which was delicious, fast, and reasonable for room service. We spent two days on the beach and two days at the pool. We reserved an umbrella and chairs and paid the $48.00 but it was worth it to have nice spot on the beach in the shade. The water was glorious. Although they say you're not supposed to bring your own drinks to the beach or pool, EVERYONE had coolers and took them anywhere they wanted in the resort and on the beach. There is a Publix nearby where you can buy drinks. We bought wine, beer, bread and lunchmeat to make sandwiches for lunch. The restaurants in the hotel are suitable for early dinners, but there is a shuttle that takes you over to the bayside where there are many shops and restaurants. You can also drive into Destin where there a million places to eat, but I found Destin to be extremely crowded and preferred to stay close to the Hilton in Sandestin. We had one small problem with security knocking on our door in the middle night to verify a charge to our room. When I went to talk to the front desk about it the next day, they were extremely apologetic and gave me two coupons for two free breakfast buffets. The bellmen were excellent as well, you would not believe how they can pack a cart with all the junk you bring with you(we were on a road trip). The one warning I will give is that this is a family place. Children have the run of the place! If you are looking for couples only, do not stay here. We were totally comfortable with our 3 month old and if he cried or got upset it was not a big deal at all! We will return when our son is older. Also the resort is extremely safe. We loved the Hilton Sandestin and would recommend it to families.

1 Thank vancebb
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Busy, energetic environment for families...the place was rockin'... not a relaxing kind of place...kid central with the craziness to boot...in the summertime, come expecting stimulation!

Pros: amazing common areas, spa, conference rooms, big guest rooms/suites, freshly decorated, bunk beds in an alcove with 2nd TV for kids, video games and movies in the room for a fee, refrigerator, microwave, seats on balcony, fantastic pools, fitness center, internet access, air pump for toys, towels provided for pool area, pool bars, easy access to food in the resort and closeby, shopping and lots to do in the area, gorgeous views, anything you need if you are willing to pay for it

Cons: summertime crowds at pools and beach, expensive drinks, parking fee, elevator "traffic", down comfortors and pillows if you have allergies (bring pillows and request blankets), plan for high cost of food and drinks in the area

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 16 June 2009

We are loyal Hilton customers. I am a gold honors member and used the majority of my points to stay 6 nights at this resort. I will say this is a beautiful resort. It is in a perfect location and close to everything. However, I will never in a million years suggest this resort to anyone! We had so many issues that we ended up checking out 2 nights early.

This hotel nickle and dimes you! When we checked in I was told we were supposed to have breakfast coupons for every day of our stay but to come back because they weren't filled out. We forgot about it , went the next morning to only be given 2 coupons and told yet again to come back for the rest. We went to breakfast (which was supposed to be FREE) and had to pay $20! I was never told but the coupons are only for dry food and anything hot is considered the buffet cost. We were not happy at all and the waitress was so mean when we asked why we were being charged. We paid our bill and went back only 1 more time for cereal. Parking is $10 a day, which is nuts, and there is no free internet anywhere in the hotel. Daily charge is $9.95 or you can use their business center which is $5 for 10 minutes!

The room is pretty spacious but for some dumb reason the bunk bed area is in the front of the room and right by the door. The sliding door to the deck was falling off the railing and would get stuck. Also, unlike most Hiltons, the main bed was extremely uncomfortable. There were also stains on the floor. The cleaning staff would only make our bed, put in new towels, and leave. I don't think they ever vacuumed once.

This also had to be the nosiest resort I have ever stayed at. Not only can you hear the water running and toilet flushing from next door, but the doors slam so loud it would shake the room! Understandably, this resort is filled with families. I can understand a certain amount of noise but to have children running up and down the halls at all hours of the night is insane! I am not a complainer, but after 3 nights of dealing with a 2 year old who couldn't sleep due to the screaming and yelling in the halls, I finally called down to the front desk (it was 11:30 pm). A security guard came up to check on the situation and then started banging on our door. I opened it quietly and explained I was trying to get my daughter to sleep. I was rudely told "you were the one who called and I took care of it", then he stormed off. The next morning we checked out. I have since filed a complaint with Hilton Honors and received an email from the resort saying I would get an upgrade if I was to return. Why the heck would I return?? I would rather poke my eyes out!

1 Thank PrincessPirate123
Starkville, Mississippi
Reviewed 9 June 2009

We only stayed at the Hilton one night (thank goodness), while we were awaiting our condo to be available. I have to admit, you cannot beat the location (if you can deal with the crowds). However, I was very UNHAPPY with the cleaniness of our bathroom. There was hair all over the floor, in shower, sink, and no telling where else. I seriously doubt we will ever return.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Alabama
Reviewed 8 June 2009

I've never much been a fan of Hilton hotels. The Hilton Sandestin has given me pause to re-examine the entire chain.

Wonderful location, helpful and friendly staff, and very clean room. Close proximity to beach and shopping/dining. Will definitely stay here again.