“Make sure you have a guarantee on the room type that you "request"!”

Hilton Sandestin Beach, Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Destin
GreenLeadersSilver level
MSLOLA1025
“Make sure you have a guarantee on the room type that you "request"!”
Reviewed 31 July 2009

My family of 4, (spouse, daughter, sisiter and myself) all adults arrived early afternoon on day of checkin. I made the reservations well in advance (a special I found on their website) and requested a room with 2 double beds. My husband is a big man so we needed 2 beds. When we arrived our "room" was not available so we were asked to have a drink and it would be ready in one hour. At that point I reminded her that we needed 2 double beds. When we were paged to the reception we were given the keys to the room. We wentup and saw that there was just a king sized bed for all four adults. I went back down and told the receptionist that we had the wrong room. She then informed me that they were booked and that was all that was available. I went back and forth with her with not even an I'm sorry or some kind of compensation. I asked to speak to the manger who was even more rude than the receptionist. He told me a reservation is a request not a GUARANTEE. When he realized I wasn't going anywhere he gave me a handicapped accessible room but he let me know he could have gotten $500 for the room! TERRIBLE SERVICE FOR PRICE!

1 Thank MSLOLA1025

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (469)
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 31 July 2009

We have had a great time at the Hilton. My husband, two boys ages 6 and 7, and I have had a wonderful time and I highly recommend the hotel for its location "off the beaten path" but not far from other restaurants, shopping, and entertainments if you feel the need to leave the resort. For $42 per day, we reserved a beach setup for 3 of the 6 days we were here--a large umbrella and two lounge chairs right on the beach--we could lounge while the boys searched for shells, built sand castles, and played in the surf. It was perfect and well worth the money. We had them for the entire day...we could come and go as we liked and be assured our setup was still ours There is also space for folks to bring their own beach chairs and umbrellas. With setup rental, there is also beachside waitservice from 11am on for drinks and lunch. There is also a beachside restaurant and bar...very convenient and with covered areas for those wishing to take a break from the sun. This is also conveniently near the outdoor and indoor pools. I read the reviews and I suppose others have had a different experience, but we have had a great time here. The spa is wonderful as are the kids' programs available for morning and evening to let Mom and Dad get away together for awhile. The staff of the Kids Krew program is very friendly and the boys wanted to go back again and again.

Truly a great experience. We recommend the "16s" rooms with the wraparound balconies on the beach for viewing the Thursday night traditional fireworks shows and for their great beach view.

• Liked — It is off the beaten path in Destin, so it seems a little quieter than other resort hotels which are more "in town.
  • Disliked — There wasn't really anything to dislike...the umbrella/chair beach setups don't go up until 9am, but other than that, it was great. We just happen to be early risers.
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank lkgalt
Louisiana
Reviewed 19 July 2009

We have 4 kids 10-15 in age and everyone had a great time here. I have not been in 20 years and alot has changed! You will be pampered on the beach- Rent a chair! Enjoy both the pools and the amazing beach and crystal clear water. Do not miss out on all the places to eat here. All of the staff were very freindly and helpful and always use the concierge if needed. They will do anything they can to make your stay even better. We will certainly be back:)

Mid MO
Reviewed 17 July 2009

I read a couple bad reviews about the rooms? Mine was very nice 2nd floor Jr Suite. Partial ocean view and it was nice, yes the walls are thin so you could hear alot, but I could also hear the ocean waves at night :) I took my 4yr old and 13 yr old daughters for 4th of July long weekend, cost $299 for the package 2 nights, they got to do all the pool an ocean activities for free, I did rent a cabana with 2 chairs on the ocean it was $42, I did have drinks brought to my Cabana was $9 for my adult drink and $3 for bottle of water mplus tipping. The sand was white and very soft onthe feet, and the ocean was beautiful but was covered in seaweed, I heard one refer to it as pea soup it was all very small and broke up like peas. The Barefoot Sands Restraunt had an outdoor dinner the night of 4th was very nice, wait staff was horribly slow if you were lucky to get anystaff at all and for myself and my 13 and 4 yr old to eat was $104 (but that was included in my $299 a night price) the 2 pools are nice but very crowded and you will not get a seat unless you reserve one the night before for a price, or get there bright and early and put you towel on it. Keep close track of your stuff lots of theves on resort. I talk to more than one couple that had more than one item stolen from shoes to boogie boards to sunglasses. Another couple was a cell phone and towel. The rooms do have a bit of musty smell to them but our room was very nice, and housekeeping did a decent job. The restraunt next to the lobby has a very good buffet breakfast. Oh it is $10 a day parking or $20 for vallet, but if you book with Hilton direct you can get them to incluse it, and it is also $10 a day for internet, but my laptop picked up 3 hotspots from neigboring hotels that dont charge was my guess? so I used those for free! I dropped over a thousand at this hotel for the 3 days and 2 nights I was there, but my girls really enjoyed themselves, and made lifetime memories.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank whimsimMidMO
Hilliard,OH
Reviewed 13 July 2009

I have been a frequent user of tripadvisor and find advice from others who " have been there done that " invaluable! So... If you looking at the Hilton Sandestin this summer 2009 I'll throw in a few tips. First off, Yep it's expensive. But the whole beachside resort area is as well.
The Hilton restaurant Sandcastles has a great breakfast buffet! We ate there everyday. Omelet station, Belgian waffles and all yummy! Get there before the 9am ish rush. Great way to start off the day. We just snacked on a few chips and things we brought down in our cooler and skipped lunch opting to head to dinner early which turned out to be a great idea. We beat the crowds to the restaurants and got right in. As we were leaving the lines and waits were forming. Yes, it’s crowded and busy. I agree with others this is not a get away from it all place. Lots of families and kids with the usual yelling, and crying at times.
The pools are very nice at The Hilton but getting a couple loungers poolside can be discouraging at least in the mornings. Many towels show up unaccompanied to stake their claims to the best spots. We even spotted a monogrammed set of beach towels for a family with birdy towel clips to hold them to the chairs. Now that’s coming prepared. Yep, it’s competitive even on vacation. Bummer! Be prepared for it if it's peak season. Even the beach is very busy. It's amazing to wake up and see all the chairs and umbrellas all lined up in the mornings. Yes, those cost extra. There always somehow seems to be spots and room for more. You can get a nice $8.50 frozen adult beverage to help calm your nerves. I recommend getting one quickly! It helps you to not sweat the small stuff and aggravations. I needed mine :-)
We had a junior Suite in the east tower on the 14th. floor. Very nice room with a great view of the pools and oceanfront looking southwest down the coastline. This room has the bunk bed set and its own TV too. Our 12 year old girl loved it. We had the king bed to ourselves. Hilton has great beds and pillows. But the maid sevice is slow ! One day they didn't get out room cleaned untill around 5:30pm.
Everybody goes to the outlet mall. We got there one day at 10am. when they opened and could not believe how fast the parking lot filled up! It's a great place for outlet mall shoppers. You know who you are :-) It's big enough to visit twice.
All in all I enjoyed the Hilton and the area. We would have stayed at the Hilton a full week but the hotel was packed by a convention of general contractors and their families. Prices shoot through the roof and we moved over to the Luau just behind the Hilton. We rented a nice last minute unit through VRBO. Very nice salt water pool! Easy walk to the beach. Nice place, give it a look online.
Finally visit the Bayside Warf area! ( early evening) It's very close to the Hilton out across the main road and winding back. Just ask around or look at visitor center maps. You can get one at the outlet mall. It's a very nice area to walk, shop and dine at. There is a zip line and those trampoline's with the safety harneses for the kids. Lot's of people walking around with adult beverages. Live music., a living statue, lots of activity. It gets very busy in the evenigs. As we left there was a competition for our parking spot. Evey spot was taken and it was packed. It was fun but you get the idea. Get there early !

4 Thank topfuelfan
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Really looked forward to the resort and spa. We were very let down.

Rooms look like they are lightly refurb'd from the '70s.
Cleanliness was poor- mold was growing wildly around shower fixtures and lights. Carpet looked like it was second hand from Vegas 20 years ago. Funky smell everywhere. Trash cans were tiny and filthy.
There is a coffee and danish shop in the bottom floor. I noticed there were bugs on the cheese danish and pointed it out to the employee. He removed the items but then never said a word to me and started waiting on someone else!

VERY noisy. No sound reduction from walls or ceiling. The neighbor's alarm sounded like it was in our room @7am.

The beach area is very small- you can not go past the "Hilton" area or it's trespassing. So you are stuck in a huge crowd. $42 to rent two chairs. Pools fill up immediately in the morning and there is no where left to lounge. Yes you can reserve a chair the day before for $25.

Internet is $10 a day.
Parking is $20 a day for valet.

Note that "beach view" rooms are only partial beach- mostly it is the pool and other condo towers.

1 Thank mrsoul
atlanta
Reviewed 12 July 2009

We visited the Hilton Sandestin golf and spa resort. It was in my opinion a 3 star accommodation. It was way too pricey for the poor repair it was in, beds were the most uncomfortable I've ever slept in and customer service was less than willing to assist. For our problems we've been invited back for a free stay.. Why would they think if I would go back???? Never will nor will I recommend it to anyone who may think it equates to a quality hotel....

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family