“Still enjoy”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Lithonia
“Still enjoy”
Reviewed 15 September 2010

Enjoyed my annual trip to the Hilton Sandestin. Although I was traveling by myself this time and hoped for a room in the Spa Tower, which I prefer, l enjoyed staying in the tower. The room looked like it had been recently renovated and was exceptionally clean. The room really overlooked the pool but had a decent view of the Ocean. The room was huge with the bunk beds in the bunk area with a small TV. That would be very useful for those traveling with kids. The bed was comfortable and there was a sofa bed in the room. The sheets and towels were crisp and looked. I'll continue to return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank abenitaj

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
Louisiana
Reviewed 20 August 2010

Hotel is nice and centraly located to other destinations. Great for business and if you wish to bring family.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Corsicana
Reviewed 14 August 2010

Couple in early 40's. Large room, incredible views over the pool with balcony! I wanted to take the bed back to Texas with me (so soft). Very clean will come back every year. Only down side you must rent the chairs etc on beach at 40.00 per day, we will bring our own chairs and umbrella next year.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brent6482003
jonesboro
Reviewed 6 August 2010

I have to come here to attend the Louisiana Sheriff's Convention every time they have it here. The last 2 years I have avoided it and stayed at other property and just come into the hotel for the vendor hall, but this year I brought my 9 year old daughter with me and needed to stay at the hotel. As usual it was a nightmare. The rooms are dirty, paint peeling, sink stopped up, air conditioiners have not worked right in the 10 years I have been coming here. The pool area is filled with lots of people I would not normally socialize with, lots of tatoo's and smoking. The pool is always filthy because the parents won't make their children wash off from the beach before going into the pool so the bottom is sandy and their is just slime everywhere. It's sick.

Anyone that would think this place is nice probably lives in a mobile home in Alabama.

My daughter cut her finger in our room and I went to the front desk to request a bandaid. The desk clerk told me he would alert security and they would bring me one. Never heard from them again.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

The food served in the vendor hall by the hotel is always awful.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Tennessee
Reviewed 6 August 2010

Have stayed in this property multiple times always hoping for a different experience but never receiving it. For a hotel which has one of the best beach locations ever, it is maintained and staffed like a Motel 6 or worse. We arrived and there are 2-3 bellmen for about 100 people trying to unload their luggage. we had to park 50 yds away from the entrance and carry our own bags in. Then we go out to the pool area around 5 to get a quick drink and something to eat as we were all starving from the road. Well, a mid-afternoon storm had come in and some genius decided to shut down the food service for the day. I had to go loudly complain to the on-duty manager who arranged for chips and a small pizza to be delivered from the bar but acted annoyed that i would have complained about it. Then to the room where the shower is stopped up and water pools everywhere. The service here is just poor. even those working for tips seemed to be inconvenienced you are there. Not the kind of service or value that you would expect for $300 a night. There are people with money that continue to stay at this hotel and would spend more but no one there to take your money or act glad to do it makes it worse. Hilton should be embarrased to let their flag fly on this sad excuse for a hotel. Someone should bulldoze it down and start over.....think i will just go to Seaside or Panama City next time.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed 5 August 2010

We just returned from this hotel, and honestly we were disappointed. I wouldn't stay here again, even though the big rooms and multiple beds make it tempting, that alone just can't overcome the rude service, overcrowded amenities, and overpriced everything else.

The pool area was standing room only. You could reserve a pool chair in advance for $25 and you really need to do that otherwise, you won't get a chair--I've never seen such a crowded pool area. Even late at night, the pool was supercrowded.

The beach was equally crowded and had so many people on it that the cabana chairs were lined up three deep and for my $45 per day I was actually placed in the beach chairs owned by the condo complex next door! (I had to step over a rope with a sign that said NO HILTON GUESTS ALLOWED BEYOND THIS POINT! ha!

I paid for a Beach View Room but my balcony had 4 foot concrete wall for a rail and I could only see over it when standing. (Ask about that when you reserve, every floor has several of these rooms.)

I ordered a diet coke from the Tiki Bar and got a thin plastic cup filled to the brim with ice and about 3 ounces of diet coke. The cost? $4.00 before tip! ha! My daughter ordered a frozen strawberry slushie, the cost : $12! wow!

Parking was $10 a day to park outside, in uncovered parking, in a space that was probably 100 yards from the door.

The elevators were so crowded that even little kids were complaining that more people should take the stairs. Most of the time the elevators stopped on almost every floor. It could take 10 minutes to make it to the top. It became the topic of conversation in every elevator ride. At least we bonded with the other guests over it!

The air conditioning never seemed to work. My room was boiling hot and even the hallways were hot. The staff told us that the units for the hotel had seized up because the hotel was so full and it was so hot outside. Hello? It's a beach hotel--their AC wasn't designed to handle hot weather?

Finally, the people who worked for tips were very friendly; everyone else was basically rude. The girls who worked the towel check out by the pool were so evil that my kids and I decided we couldn't face them anymore after the second day and we just used the towels we brought from home. The last day we had to approach them though to buy a t-shirt for my daughter (they sell cute tshirts at the beach shack). The cost was $21.33 and the towel girl was FURIOUS with me because SHE did not have change for a five. Her face even turned a little red. My family laughed all the way to the car, it was the perfect goodbye from a highly mediocre hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
San Juan Capistrano, California
Reviewed 3 August 2010

The hotel is very poorly maintained and dirty. For example, while the bellhop was still in our room the drapery rod fell off and a tile fell off the wall in our room, which at my request the bellhop sent someone up to fix. Also, the carpet in our almost $300 a night hotel room had 2 very large stains on the carpets that could not be missed by anyone entering our room. When I reported it to the front desk and asked them to send someone up from housekeeping to try to remove the stains, no one ever came and this request was ignored. Apparently, at the Hilton, filthy carpets are the norm.

Also, when you walked down the hallway to our room (718), there was a huge section of wallpaper hanging off the wall. It stayed like that for days. There was also trash thrown on the floors that would also stay there for days. It became a game for me to see if anyone would ever pick it up. Not what you would expect for a supposed 4 Star hotel. Must be rated by the same people who gave subprime mortgage bonds AAA ratings for all those years.

They will tell you, if you call in, that although it is a very old property that the rooms have been beutifully renovated. Don't believe it. The bathrooms are small 1970s era shower/tubs and the low ceilings have cottage cheese on them just like grandmas' house. The safes are the old key versions, not the electronic versions that every hotel under the sun has now, and even these don't work. Instead, they put a sign on it saying that there are safes behind the front desk. Let me ask you: At what hotel have your ever left your wallet and jewelry with a minimum wage clerk at the front desk? So you end up going to the beach and pool worrying that someone is going to steal your wallet from your bag while you are in the pool or ocean.

In addition, the staff is very surly and generally unhelpful. Examples, after spending $1000 at the hotel over 3 days, when we asked for a later check-out so my three boys could have one final swim in the pool before leaving, they gave us a 15 minute extension and told us that if we were not out by then we would be charged for another day. By the way, the operator tried 3 times to get the front desk with no one answering before we received this lovely response. In 25 years of traveling all over this wonderful country and abroad, I have never received such a rude response when requesting a later check-out.

Also, no matter what rate you get, the Hilton will make sure your stay is expensive. Examples, $7 non-alcoholic drinks by the pool, $42.50 for 2 chairs and an umbrella at the beach, $10 a night to self-park your car in an uncovered parking lot, etc. All for a hotel completely overrun with people--all the chairs by the pool filled by 9:30 am--forcing you to buy over-priced beach chairs.

I have stayed at a lot of nice hotels in my life and this is NOT a 4 star property. You can do better. You can rent luxury condos right on the beach, which are twice the size of our room, for 1/2 the price. That is what we are going to do next time we visit the Destin area.

PS If anyone from the Hilton reads this and cares to discuss this review with me in more detail, we stayed in the hotel from July 26-28. Feel free to look up my information and give me a call. But based on the poor quality of service and lack of regard for the property, I will not however be waiting by the phone. Frankly, I doubt anyone at Hilton really cares.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family