“Convenient Location-Great Staff”

Resorts of Pelican Beach
Troy, Ohio
“Convenient Location-Great Staff”
Reviewed 19 July 2014

My wife and I and her sister stayed at a two bedroom condo over the fourth of July. We really enjoyed the stay as the rooms were very clean, the beds comfortable and the convenience of having a refrigerator, microwave, stove, washer and dryer etc were fantastic. The view of the gulf was also great. I really liked the fact the door had a combination to get in so you never had to worry about forgetting to take the room key or getting locked out. Also my wife's sister could come and go as she pleased without worrying about how to get in. The parking garage is closeby the rooms which was also convenient. They gave us a complimentary card for $25 and a card for four free coffees at the snack bar that also came in handy. The prices at the snack bar were very reasonable.

The fireworks viewable from Fort Walton beach and Destin as well as from private locations were fantastic. The beach is really great but as previous reviewers have mentioned, can be crowded at times. They also had some entertainment near the beach in the evenings.

The pools were OK but we never really used them as our children and grandchildren were staying at a nearby condo that had better pools but the rooms weren't really as nice. So we would go over there to visit the children and swim.

All in all we had a great visit and enjoyed the conveniences of the condo especially the gas grills for cooking out. We looked at them prior to our using them and thought they were charcoal, as we could not see any propane tanks from our balcony. So we bought two bags of charcoal, lighter fluid, and two lighters and took to the grills to start cooking out. Oops, the grills had propane piped in from a central facility so there was no need for the charcoal equipment. The grills were new and very clean. There were seven or eight grills so we never had a problem securing one.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Norman
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Horrible, dated facility! Room had popcorn low ceilings, brass fixtures, Formica, white appliances & bedding & furniture from the early 1980's. But the very worst part is the beach! Horribly crowded & the property lines are TAPED OFF WITH CAUTION TAPE on BOTH sides!! Feel like the ugly stepchildren of Destin visitors!! Umbrellas are 12 deep to the ocean. They allow guests to bring their own chairs & umbrellas & they set up at 6 a.m. to block out rentable umbrellas. Do NOT stay here! You've been warned!

11 Thank JKRIST
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
Reviewed 13 July 2014

If you ever visit destin you must day at the Resorts of Pelican Beach
we stayed July 5-12 and had a blast
right on the beach
we stayed in 1901 amazin views

The front staff is amazing
Here's what you need to do
Get up early and rent 2 chairs and an umbrella for the week
It'll run about $150

Speak with Carl he is in charge of the chair rentals

Bring your own beach chairs and other umbrellas
Bring a big cooler with sandwiches and drinks
You have Publix Winn-Dixie fresh market all within 2 miles

Load up the food and they also have six barbecue gas grills to cook dinner on
The weather was great the place is amazing plan to go there every year from now on
Also the kids had a blast
If you looking for a place in Destin on the beach
Look no further than the Resorts of Pelican Beach

Room Tip: 01 - 06 are beach front
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank suntanstu
Denison, Texas
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Family vacation for week. Condo on south west corner mid floors. Awesome view of beach and gulf. Nothing bad to say. It's not a private hotel and beach. Going to have issues anywhere. Water was beautiful. Can't say much about the beach Saturday morning. Low life people not responsible and trashing beach night before. But what can you expect with that many people. Get up early around 5:30-6:00 and go plant your umbrella and chairs. Local company starts about 6:15 and it is hot in the back of beach. Would I go back and recommend, absolutely.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Kevin E
Reviewed 10 July 2014

My family of 4, including teenagers, enjoyed our July 4th week long stay. Great corner unit with beautiful views. Music on deck each evening. Nice cafe and store on site. Sons could walk to Alvin's Island and Big Kahunas...will return.

1 Thank TravelingFamAlabama
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

This is our 3rd time at pelican resort, twice we celebrated 4th of July here, fireworks wAs perfect view from our balcony. The sound of water from outside is soothing, view is excellent. Service is good. Beach is wonderful. Looking forward yo next year again.

2 Thank MaryTes
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Just got back from PBR in Destin and I must say the Reviews I read about Unit 2007 was not as bad as Advertise by the last review of this property back in 2012 by Anne B...After I read the her review I was a nervous as a wreck because my GF and I are germmaphobics at Heart...but it was to late and I had no choice but to stay w/ the property. So I crossed my fingers...and hope for the best..I rented this property through Sandcastles Escapes Mgt. who assured me all the problems had been fixed...And true enough most of the problems had been corrected.

Overall, UNIT 2007 is just as it is picture on the website...NICE new furniture (Mirrors in Living room ) and very nice flat screens in both rooms and GREAT view of the beach ( although it was cloudy all 4 days we were there) ....the front door and locks were a little old but not a major issue for us .....there was a filter on the A/C unit and it had been clean the A/C unit pump out decent cold air all day.....there was NO mold issues in the showers only one of shower heads did have some plumber tape on it that needs to be replaced or taken off and both Showers and Bathroom toilets seats are very very very old looking...and need to be replaced!!!

In my opinion the old bathroom and kitchen leaves the perception that is is NOT clean...which can be a issues for most ppl and the Mgt should consider making the changes...along w/ the Kitchen because they both can use a makeover in my eyes... the kitchen was clean but again could have been better (newer fridge and stove)...

We did have a problem w/ Sandcastle Escapes Mgt company at the beginning of our trip and them NOT having the carpet vacuum in the master bedroom cleaned when we arrived...nor did they have towels for us...so after several calls to them both situations were corrected but it took them about 3 to 4 hours for them to come, so keep that in mind this NOT like a hotel where the situation gets taken care of right away... Overall Destin,FL was one of the best trips I have taken in a while... it is definitely a place w/ alot to do and fun.... I will return not sure if I will stay in the Pelican Beach Resort again, probably just us rent a "beach house' if I can NEXT Time....and again not because of anything specific they did at PBR or Sandcastle Escapes they were average and average on the beach front property can be GREAT compared to some of the dumps I have seen rented off the coast sometimes.... the overall hotel experience was cool Check - in and Check - Out was simple and except the all the crowded beach comments you probably already read...all of that is very true!!!... but its a simple solution to that just go up the road to Henderson State Beach and pay $6 ( all day) and well worth it...Hidden Secret! Way less Crowded.....I enjoyed this beach trip even better than my Nassau, Jamaica and Cancun trips I have taken before!

Room Tip: It's ok to rent at the Pelican Beach Resort...all rooms are what they present online! Average! N...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple