Resorts of Pelican Beach
US$333
US$300
EmbassySuites.com
SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$279
US$265
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$269
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$239
US$382
US$352
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Wingate by Wyndham Destin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$204
US$286
US$256
Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$212
Hotels.com
US$199
US$194
Hotwire.com
All reviewsterrace buildinggift cardduring peak seasonbedroom bath condofront rowbunk bedshot tubend unitoutdoor poolspring breaktiki hutbring your ownview from the balconyan umbrellanice resortwe've stayedgreat condo
Reviewed 21 June 2006

My family and I just returned from a stay at Pelican Beach. We were please with our room, but noticed there was no crib. We had specifically requested a crib. In fact we heavily emphasized how important it was to have one and requested to be contacted ASAP if they would be unavailable to provide one. So we called front desk and they said they'd "check into it". They called back and cheerfully reported that they would have us a crib the next day. We explained that my daughter would like somewhere to sleep that night and probably couldnt wait until the next day. They said the only crib they had left was broken, but they could look up the number to Crib Connection for us (a local service providing cribs to tourists, not associated with the resort). We felt like they should call Crib Connection and make the arrangements for us since they screwed up. They said we would have to do it ourselves and not ONCE did they even hint at apologizing for screwing up so royally.
The second day of our trip my daughter had been playing in the kiddie pool for about 10-15 minutes when a security gaurd came over and told us to leave because the kiddie pool was closed (there were other kids in the pool too). I asked why it was closed (it was the middle of the day) and he simply said there had been an accident and refused to elaborate. There had been no sign up or anything indicating the pool was closed. I was concerned about what my daughter had been exposed to, so I went to the front desk. The girl there also simply said there was an accident, but I asked her to elaborate because I was concerned for my daughter. The front desk girl was obviously irritated with me and just said that someone had thrown up in the pool "whatever THAT means". Needless to say I spent the rest of the trip paranoid about my daughter's health. I did notice that later there was a sign up marking the pool as closed.
The one problem with the room itself was the bedroom. It faced the hall and the window only had blinds and a valance (no curtain) so even in the middle of the night it looked bright through the window.
The beach was very disappointing too. There was very little beach front and what little was there, they saturated with rental chairs and umbrellas. There was no place for my daughter to play in the sand. The chairs were placed all the way up to the water's edge, so you couldn't even walk the beach. Not that they wanted you to do that anyways, your in room info instructed guests to stay on the beach immediately behind the resort property. Humph. Fortunately we had friends staying at another resort up the road and their beach was WONDERFUL, so we hung out there.
I did not care for the location either. While it was beachfront, it was also located on the main four lane highway. Many of the other resorts/condos are located on the scenic highway which is more of a beach road and has a more laid back feel.
I will say the room was very nice and spacious with bunk beds built into the hallway, so it could easily sleep a family of four with out using the sleeper sofa. This was a one bedroom unit. We were on the top floor and the view from our balcony was unbeatable. However it just isnt worth the lousy service. Maybe if you enjoy being treated like dirt, you can enjoy this place.
Also, there are kids everywhere. They do not have an adults only pool. This was fine for us as we traveled with our 2 year old. She always found other kids to play with, especially her own age. However, if you are looking for a quiet getaway from kids, this isnt it.

4  Thank DaSu
Tupelo, MS
Reviewed 20 June 2006

My family which included my son's girlfriend just returned from The Pelican Beach Resort. We had a great time and are planning to return next year. The room was wonderful and very clean. The bedding for the bedroom as well as bunkbeds could stand to be updated.

The view was beautiful and everything was in working order. The matresses were too firm but we realize that is a personal issue. The balcony furniture could be upgraded somewhat as well, but was definitely sufficient.

We all agree that we would be very happy to return to this resort and plan to make it an annual event as our family grows.

The pool is not very large for such a large resort which surprised us somewhat. There is room for a second pool to be added and should be a consideration as well as an additional hottub as it was always full with people waiting wanting to try that out as well. The pool areas and deck were kept clean and were always neat and clean at the start of each day.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Hammond, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 June 2006

Although the Pelican Beach Resort has a breathtaking view of the Gulf, the bedding in the rooms need to be updated. We visited the resort for five nights with another couple. When making our reservations, we requested 2 bedrooms, one with a king bed and the other with a queen bed. Upon our arrival, the king bed was there, however, there were two twin beds in the other bedroom. We called the front desk and their only solution was for staff to come and join the twin beds to make a double bed. We were capable of taking care of that, but unfortunately, both beds were old and uncomfortable. I do believe that if you are paying $315/night for a room, the beds should at the very least be comfortable enough to sleep and without squeaking!! Maybe they should take a look at the bedding at the Loews Hotel. Very comfortable and very affordable!!!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 10 June 2006

My husband and two children just returned from a four night stay at the Pelican Beach Resort. We stayed in a 1 bedroom facing the gulf. The views from our balcony were beautiful. We were in condo #307. It was clean and plenty of room for the four of us. The only complaint of the entire trip is that we were able to hear the people next to us talking and running water coming from either the condo next to us or above us. The walls/ceilings need more insulation or something. The beach was clean and plenty of room even though there were a lot of people there. The pool was nice and large but they need another hot tub. Only one small hot tub for a huge complex and our 5 year old was terribly disappointed that he wasn't allowed in the hot tub even if we were sitting with him (8-17 years old are allowed in the hot tub accompanied by an adult). The deli/market was great. If you needed beach towels, sunscreen, sunglasses, etc. they had it and the prices were reasonable. If we return to Destin we would stay here again.

7  Thank Jennifer-7
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 1 June 2006

I called to book reservations for my stay in Destin and also to have a beach wedding. The phone attendant was helpful and even got her supervisor involved to answer my questions. They told me that there was no fee for beach weddings as long as the wedding party and guests stayed at the Pelican. I reserved 2 rooms (with more pending from other guests). Later in the day I received a phone call from a Manager (Dan Martin) who very rudely informed me that I had to get a permit and pay a $250 site fee. When I inquired as to why I was not informed of this earlier he responded "It's not too late to cancel your reservations." That is exactly what I did. I was looking forward to my stay at the Pelican, but they will never get my business.

Stayed: May 2006