“Great Value”

Holiday Surf & Racquet Club
Tennessee
“Great Value”
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We have stayed at Holiday Surf and Racquet Club twice and have been pleased both times. The staff and maintenance crew are very pleasant. In fact, the maintenance crew will stand and talk to you for about as long as you’re willing to talk with them. :o) The property is clean and well maintained. It is in a convenient location. The unit we stayed in this visit was very clean and beautifully decorated. The only drawback to this unit was that it is on the ground floor, which I wanted, but I didn’t realize that from that level we wouldn’t be able to see over the wooden wall to see the beach. We could, however, see the ocean beyond the beach. The unit we stayed in two years ago was clean but a little outdated, so this time I looked through the online photos and selected a unit that appeared to be updated. It didn’t disappoint. I love being able to go to their website and see photos of each unit and also the layout of the building itself. I never heard a sound coming from units beside or above us so it must be well sound-proofed. As other reviewers have said, this is an older complex so be sure to keep that in mind. However, the price reflects that fact and is extremely reasonable. My only complaint is that on both trips we had the weird experience of staff entering our unit unannounced. When we were there two years ago we had our 2-year-old grandson with us. He was taking a nap and I was resting on the sofa and my husband was out. All of a sudden I heard a key in the lock and the door opened and in walked a maintenance man. He had come to make a minor repair that had evidently been reported before we arrived. I explained to him that my grandson was sleeping and I did not want him awakened. I asked if he could wait a day to do the repair since we were checking out the following morning and he agreed. But he made no apology for the intrusion and didn’t appear shocked that I was there, which made me think that this is their usual protocol. I think the office should ALWAYS schedule an appointment to do any non-emergency repair work, or at the very least, call first. And if for some reason they won’t take either of those two measures, then please, please, please knock and wait for someone to open the door. Incredibly, something similar happened on this visit. On the morning we were to check out, I was in the kitchen in my nightgown when I heard voices outside our door and then a key being inserted into the lock. I spoke through the door and asked what she wanted. She replied that she thought we had already checked out and was coming to inspect our unit. Having a situation like that on both of our visits is almost inexcusable. I would highly recommend to HSRC that they take steps to prevent this sort of thing. That being said, I still think HSRC is a great place to stay and we plan to return.

• Liked — Location and Value
  • Disliked — An employee tried to enter our unit while we were still there.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PJTennessee

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 January 2008

We've been going to Destin the last 3 years. We have stayed at the Holiday Surf & Racquet club, for the last two years and we are going back again. It is located in a great area that is really suitable for family or a couple just wanting to get away. Most of the people that stay there are very friendly. My kids loved it and made a lot of new friends. My husband likes it because it is within 20 minutes of either 4 or 5 golf courses. We all like the restaurants, especially Callahan's and Capt. Kidds? My husband is a State Trooper and we met alot of other officers there, as well. If it wasn't good, we wouldn't be there. If you are going to Destin, I would definitely consider this place. It isn't as new, as a lot of the condos down there, but you won't be disappointed. If you do decide to stay here, book through their website or homepage...HolidaySurf & Racquest club. Don't go by an offsite agent, for they don't tell you about the hidden costs like having to rent you own beach chairs, etc. We got had last year. So Book Through On site staff. For Your Info!

Stayed July 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We have stayed there twice and we had no complaints either time. We have gone in October, when school is back in session, so there were no college kids partying too loud, etc. We have small children and it was really great. The condos are very clean and tastefully decorated and the staff was super nice. This is an older property, so if you want a fancy, high-end atmosphere, this probably isn't your best bet. But if you want a nice, comfortable, beautiful place to take your family, it is THE BEST! It is a tremendous value and all rooms face the ocean. We'll definitely stay there again!

• Liked — The location and the value
  • Stayed October 2003, travelled with family
2 Thank rshthomas
Jackson,Tennessee
Reviewed 22 May 2007

We have stayed at the Holiday Surf and Racquet Club for the last three years and have enjoyed every minute of it. The staff is kind and courteous and very helpful. We plan to stay here every time we visit Destin.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 26 January 2007

We take an annual girls trip each February and have loved the winter rates and the special of stay 3 nights, get a night free. For 3 years my two aunts and a friend of mine have enjoyed a very nice 2bd/2ba condo. The view is wonderful, you often see dolphins from the little patio and we love to watch the snowbirds playing their shuffleboard tournament.

It's best if you use their website to look at units before booking. The people at the desk when you call are very helpful when you tell them what you're looking for too!

Sadly though after 3 years of trips to HSRC, we have picked another condo for our trip this year. I have a 6 month old puppy that I refuse to leave at home and they refuse to allow pets. She's such a small little thing weighing in a 6lbs that I don't understand the issue but they were quite firm about the policy.

So we're staying some place newer and a little more expensive but it will be worth it to take the little pup!

• Liked — view of the beach, price
  • Disliked — items that don't work, pet policy
  • Stayed January 2007
Lexington,Ky
Reviewed 26 October 2006

My husband and I stayed at Holiday Surf for our anniversary from 10-19 to 10-23. They were having a stay three nights get one free special so we decided to try it. Here is what we liked and didn't like.

The Pros: Good location-the condo was near lots of shopping, restaurants, etc., but off of the busiest street. It is right on the beach and there was an excellent view from the balcony.

Great price-we paid $333 for 4 nights booked from their website.

Friendly staff- Check in is not until 4pm, and we arrived around 2:00. I knew the unit we had rented was not rented the day before our arrival, so I called and asked if we could check in early. They were very polite about it and said that would be fine. We arrived a few minutes later and checked in very quickly. We never passed an employee without them smiling and speaking to us, and they answered any questions we had. The condo also has a pool, beach chair service through the end of October, tennis courts, shuffle board, and movies you can check out at the front desk.

The Cons: Age-the building appears to be a little older than some others in the area. The unit we rented had seafoam green carpet, a lot of worn looking mirrors and a small bathroom that was a little grungy, but the rest of the unit was pretty clean. We ran into friends from home who were staying in the same condo, and they said their unit was more up to date, so I guess it just depends on which unit you rent.

The balcony-As others have stated, it is screened in. You either like this or you don't, and we hated it. There is a nice view from the balcony but we had to go inside to take pictures or the screen would show in the pictures. It also just kind of interferred with relaxing and looking out at the water in my opinion.

Small pool-This wasn't much of an issue since we were there in the off season and there were usually no more than three people in it, but it might be more of a problem at peak season if you like to get in the pool. (The pool WAS very clean though).

All in all, for the price this was a very good value. The things we didn't like were very minor, and I would consider staying here again, although I would have enjoyed it much more without the screened in balcony. If anyone has any questions, feel free to e-mail us at Aatchsio@lfucg.com

• Liked — Price and location
  • Disliked — Screened balconies
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank wildcorndogs
Virginia
Reviewed 20 October 2006

We stayed in a 2-bedroom condo overlooking the beautiful Gulf. The room was clean and spacious and decorated with taste. The staff went out of their way to be helpful and courteous. We went during the off-season and the weather was perfect, traffic was light and there were virtually no crowds anywhere.

I cannot think of one complaint!

I can't wait to go again in the summer season. My only fear is that the crowds, humidity and heat in June will diminish the wonderful experience we had in October.

Will keep you posted.