“We Love Destin”

Holiday Surf & Racquet Club
Omaha, NE
“We Love Destin”
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We have vacationed in Destin, Florida about 7 times. We now stay exclusively at the Holiday Surf & Racquet Club. The staff at the front desk are great. We love the movie rental, the exercise room, the pool is fantastic and the location is perfect. Parking right outside our door!

We always stay on the ground level now - the rooms are great. We love the ocean views from the upper floor, but on the ground level, we have our own little 'yard', screened porch and table and chairs. The Club is on the beach - which is fantastic. We are close to everything - dining, shopping, excursions, pool, beach. This is NOT a hotel - this is home away from home.

Our days start with an early walk on the beach, breakfast in our condo, then pack snacks and head to the beach, come back for lunch and relaxing/sleeping by the pool or on the porch, write out a few post cards, play games by the pool and visit with the friendliest group of people we have ever met. Most visitors seem to be regulars (which says a lot!) and so it's like seeing extended family. We relax and enjoy the most beautiful beach on this earth.

Accommodations are MUCH NICER than depicted on the web site. Absolutely no complaints. See you in Destin! Debbie & Bill & kids

• Liked — Accommodations - beach.
  • Disliked — Nothing. It was all perfect.
  • Stayed August 2003, travelled with family

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
frisco tx
Reviewed 14 June 2008

Awesome access to beach, friendly personable staff, especially the lifeguard that has been here for YEARS. If you're lucky enough to get a 1st floor unit jump on it b/c you'll just step out of the screened in porch and be steps away from the beach. All units are comfortable and stocked with all neccessaties. Some units are extradinarily decorated but most are the basic beachy/pastel/wicker/shell themes. It's really fun to be able to view the decor of each unit on line before making your reservation. This is by far the best property we've ever stayed at for the price.

• Liked — easy access to beach from ALL rooms
  • Disliked — outdated/small bathrooms
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
Tennessee
Reviewed 25 February 2008

We have stayed at Holiday Surf and Racquet Club twice and have been pleased both times. The staff and maintenance crew are very pleasant. In fact, the maintenance crew will stand and talk to you for about as long as you’re willing to talk with them. :o) The property is clean and well maintained. It is in a convenient location. The unit we stayed in this visit was very clean and beautifully decorated. The only drawback to this unit was that it is on the ground floor, which I wanted, but I didn’t realize that from that level we wouldn’t be able to see over the wooden wall to see the beach. We could, however, see the ocean beyond the beach. The unit we stayed in two years ago was clean but a little outdated, so this time I looked through the online photos and selected a unit that appeared to be updated. It didn’t disappoint. I love being able to go to their website and see photos of each unit and also the layout of the building itself. I never heard a sound coming from units beside or above us so it must be well sound-proofed. As other reviewers have said, this is an older complex so be sure to keep that in mind. However, the price reflects that fact and is extremely reasonable. My only complaint is that on both trips we had the weird experience of staff entering our unit unannounced. When we were there two years ago we had our 2-year-old grandson with us. He was taking a nap and I was resting on the sofa and my husband was out. All of a sudden I heard a key in the lock and the door opened and in walked a maintenance man. He had come to make a minor repair that had evidently been reported before we arrived. I explained to him that my grandson was sleeping and I did not want him awakened. I asked if he could wait a day to do the repair since we were checking out the following morning and he agreed. But he made no apology for the intrusion and didn’t appear shocked that I was there, which made me think that this is their usual protocol. I think the office should ALWAYS schedule an appointment to do any non-emergency repair work, or at the very least, call first. And if for some reason they won’t take either of those two measures, then please, please, please knock and wait for someone to open the door. Incredibly, something similar happened on this visit. On the morning we were to check out, I was in the kitchen in my nightgown when I heard voices outside our door and then a key being inserted into the lock. I spoke through the door and asked what she wanted. She replied that she thought we had already checked out and was coming to inspect our unit. Having a situation like that on both of our visits is almost inexcusable. I would highly recommend to HSRC that they take steps to prevent this sort of thing. That being said, I still think HSRC is a great place to stay and we plan to return.

• Liked — Location and Value
  • Disliked — An employee tried to enter our unit while we were still there.
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PJTennessee
Martin, Tennessee
Reviewed 7 January 2008

We've been going to Destin the last 3 years. We have stayed at the Holiday Surf & Racquet club, for the last two years and we are going back again. It is located in a great area that is really suitable for family or a couple just wanting to get away. Most of the people that stay there are very friendly. My kids loved it and made a lot of new friends. My husband likes it because it is within 20 minutes of either 4 or 5 golf courses. We all like the restaurants, especially Callahan's and Capt. Kidds? My husband is a State Trooper and we met alot of other officers there, as well. If it wasn't good, we wouldn't be there. If you are going to Destin, I would definitely consider this place. It isn't as new, as a lot of the condos down there, but you won't be disappointed. If you do decide to stay here, book through their website or homepage...HolidaySurf & Racquest club. Don't go by an offsite agent, for they don't tell you about the hidden costs like having to rent you own beach chairs, etc. We got had last year. So Book Through On site staff. For Your Info!

Stayed July 2007
Murfreesboro, TN
Reviewed 19 July 2007

We have stayed there twice and we had no complaints either time. We have gone in October, when school is back in session, so there were no college kids partying too loud, etc. We have small children and it was really great. The condos are very clean and tastefully decorated and the staff was super nice. This is an older property, so if you want a fancy, high-end atmosphere, this probably isn't your best bet. But if you want a nice, comfortable, beautiful place to take your family, it is THE BEST! It is a tremendous value and all rooms face the ocean. We'll definitely stay there again!

• Liked — The location and the value
  • Stayed October 2003, travelled with family
2 Thank rshthomas
Jackson,Tennessee
Reviewed 22 May 2007

We have stayed at the Holiday Surf and Racquet Club for the last three years and have enjoyed every minute of it. The staff is kind and courteous and very helpful. We plan to stay here every time we visit Destin.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
Suwanee, Georgia
Reviewed 26 January 2007

We take an annual girls trip each February and have loved the winter rates and the special of stay 3 nights, get a night free. For 3 years my two aunts and a friend of mine have enjoyed a very nice 2bd/2ba condo. The view is wonderful, you often see dolphins from the little patio and we love to watch the snowbirds playing their shuffleboard tournament.

It's best if you use their website to look at units before booking. The people at the desk when you call are very helpful when you tell them what you're looking for too!

Sadly though after 3 years of trips to HSRC, we have picked another condo for our trip this year. I have a 6 month old puppy that I refuse to leave at home and they refuse to allow pets. She's such a small little thing weighing in a 6lbs that I don't understand the issue but they were quite firm about the policy.

So we're staying some place newer and a little more expensive but it will be worth it to take the little pup!

• Liked — view of the beach, price
  • Disliked — items that don't work, pet policy
  • Stayed January 2007