Inn on Destin Harbor
US$176
US$139
SleepInn
US$299
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$239
US$232
SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$279
US$265
Wingate by Wyndham Destin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$233
US$204
Travelocity
Candlewood Suites Destin-Sandestin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$180
CandlewoodSuites
Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott Destin(Destin)(Great Value!)
US$285
US$313
US$280
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
All reviewsharbor view roommarina cafenice lobbycontinental breakfastolder hotelrestaurants and barswalking distanceyogurtdolphinsnightlifeharborwalkboardwalk
Reviewed 2 May 2011

When I decided to spend my 5 day vacation in Destin, I started my search for a hotel. Since it was just 2 of us, I opted for a place that would take care of the "chores" and provide a little pampering, instead of a vacation rental where we would have to do everything ourselves. The hunt began for a hotel, and I realized that most are not on the water, then realized some are on the harbor and some are facing open water, while most were inland. Comparing prices as well, we finally settled on the Inn on Destin Harbor. The reviews were all great. The price - while not cheap - was reasonable. And while it didn't have a real beach, it provided a pretty view of the harbor and easy access to activities there and nearby. We rented a car and decided to drive to come of the enarby publich beaches that have been praised, while also having the mobility to explore nearby towns etc., instead of pouring all the extra $$ into far away beach access.
The trip was an excellent one! But while the hotel was not terrible, it certainly was not one to recommend highly. People were friendly and our room with a view indeed had a great view. However, amenities left something to be desired. The room seemed clean upon entry. But:
- Towels were not changed. I know this for a fact because my makeup left a stain on one of the towels and it was simply hung back up. This leads me to believe that the sheets were probably not changed either.
- When we arrived, there was a hair on the side of the sink. It remained there until the end, again indirectly proving not much cleanin took place.
- the carpet was a little dingy; probably since it's a beach hotel with access to boats and a pool. Why would you put carpet in such a hotel?
- The kleenex box ran out of tissue and was not replaced.
- While breakfast was offered 6-10am, if you showed up at 9am and they had run out of an item (say eggs), they did not replenish the meager breakfast selection. Not to mention they opted to provide boiled eggs that were pre-peeled. A service gesture that, while maybe well-meaning, is certainly misguided (don't touch my food), especially when the same lady that cleans the rooms is the one bringing out the breakfast (I'm sure she washes her hands before handling the food, but onsidering she does a poor job of replenishing the daily cleaning process, I don't want to further imagine her dedication in safe food handling).
- The TV in the room should long be given to goodwill.

Thankfully, we spent very little time at the hotel. Our rental car allowed us to explore many areas that are in and nearby Destin. We loved every day! And we quickly realized it's all pretty much nearby. :) But next time, we will probably opt for another hotel.

• Stayed: April 2011
Reviewed 29 April 2011

3 adults in 3 rooms, all extensive travelers, agree that management has forgotten their job. All rooms faced the bay (I believe even number rooms indicate this). Rooms had not been dusted, floors had not been vacuumed (hair in many places but especially the bathrooms), sticky substances on some counters, patio doors to nice size balconies were coming apart and were very difficult to open as the slides were shot (spray lubricant applied later by staff did help but that is the incorrect long-term solution. I presented 22 items to be attended to when I went fishing the next day - most were dealt with. they discounted all of our rooms due to these issues. Staff are very friendly though not incredibly knowledgeable about well known locations (having sent us in the wrong direction twice!), nice breakfast included, good parking, excellent location. This place is tired and worn out, however, they must have a sense of humor as the hand lettered welsign in the lobby says, "Welcome to our gorgeous . . ." Maybe they just need to get out more and see what the competition has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank pickypickypicky
Reviewed 28 April 2011

I have stayed at several mid-priced vacation properties in Destin on literally over 50 - 60 separate trips (about 150 - 200 nights) in the past 2-1/2 years while visiting with family. I and my daughters now stay at this boutique hotel most of the time.

No value priced hotel is perfect compared to a real 5-star property, but this property has what it takes where it counts most and exceeds expectations in some categories. The harbor view is fantastic (isn't that the sort of thing we came for). The lobby and breakfast area, pool and small beach are very attractive and overlook the harbor. My young girls often enjoy watching the dolphins play in full view.

The staff is eager and very friendly and helpful. They have been very kind to my children. Ownership is very attentive and gives the property a real personality. Free wine bar on Wednesday eve and free champagne on Friday eve. Continental breakfast is just fine. Coffee is very good. Nice selection of teas.

The rooms are a little dated (small older bathrooms and sliding doors that could work better) and ownership is upgrading where it is possible. There have been a few spotty housekeeping moments, but that is the exception. There has also been some genuine thoughtfulness. They called a plumber out on Easter Sunday to fix a problem in my room, so they care.

I personally enjoy meeting the other guests. There is an atmosphere of friendliness that is promoted and I have met many visitors from here and abroad. I noticed that many people are repeat visitors, so that tells me something. Some volunteer their appreciation of the hotel and it's staff.

Don't get overly picky and ruin a good stay. Appreciate the aspects that no other property of it's class has in Destin.

Or you can always drop $400 a night at the Emerald Grand down along Harborwalk or you can get a room in a franchise property behind a shopping center, but you still won't have the same level of personality, friendliness and people experience.

And you will miss this fantastic view.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank RePetetheDad
Reviewed 19 April 2011

First finding hotels that are pet friendly is pretty difficult. One of our dogs had recently had surgery and could not be boarded at my kennel. So I started searching and came across the Inn and was so happy I did. The view was absolutely gorgeous, the staff gave exemplary service and the owner was there much of the time and asking if there was anything he could do to improve our experience. I loved the location and will return again. If I was to suggest one possible change, it would be to have microwaves in the rooms.

Room Tip: Book early for those rooms with the bay views.
  • Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Please do not tell to many of your friends about the inn. I don't want to share this place with anyone. My wife and I were staying in Sandestin, but decided to go out on the harbor one night. I decided to do a little web research on harbor lodging. Came across the Inn for an incredible rate and decided to book it and not have to deal with a Destin cab to Sandestin. We got in from dinner and drinks to see a polite young woman sitting at the front desk to happily great us. The room was better than many of the higher end national chain hotels I've frequented over the past few years. The sunrise the next morning was incredible! Balcony over looking Destin harbor, mimosa, incredible continental breakfast = The perfect morning! Thanks for the wonderful stay Inn on the Harbor.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple