We visited Sterling Shores in 2005 and would come back twice a year. We have not returned until this past Memorial Day and unfortunately, this will probably be our last time staying here. The grounds and pool area are still kept up very nicely, however, the staff working inside the condo office are not pleasant, and our room was a joke. As others have posted, the office hours are limited. I'm not sure how the system works when a key is in the lock box, so if you do make a reservation here, be sure to find this out ahead of time. We arrived around 2:00 and were told that our condo wasn't ready yet. Okay, no biggie. We headed over to the back porch for some lunch. Upon returning, we received a call that we could check into our unit. We have stayed at many different units in Sterling shores, but I must say, if you find out that you are getting unit 305, be on the lookout. On the surface this unit appeared to be clean, but it wasn't. I always remove the comforter from the bed and pillow shams since it's typically been used by other guests w/out being cleaned. Upon removing the comforter to expose the blanket and sheets, I could see stains. This continued with the pillow cases and the extra blankets in the closet. The extra blankets in the closet had food stains, mascara marks, etc. It was disgusting. I spent my first couple hours washing laundry before I could settle in. I blame this solely on a lazy housekeeping company. I'm sure the owners of this unit have no clue that this is going on.
Secondly, who has a bathroom without an outlet? My husband couldn't shave in the bathroom using an electric shaver, I couldn't dry or curl my hair, etc. I had to take anything that required a plug into the kitchen and try to duck down into part of a mirror that was situated there.
The unit was very dated and could have been a little more in line with the times as far as the televisions etc., are concerned. We didn't use the television on this visit, but it's a very outdated style. Our bedside alarm clock was present, but it didn't work.
Also, they've hired a company to patrol the pool area during the day. You can't sit on the side of the pool with a drink of any type. In the past they were fine with you at least taking a bottle of water to the edge of the pool, or a plastic cup. I found the nit picking of the security personnel to be annoying. It was a constant patrol of individuals.
I think we will be checking out other alternatives in the future. I am sure there are some awesome units in Sterling Shores, but be sure to ask when you book which unit it is that you are going to get, and at least look for that unit on youtube. You won't be able to see all the flaws, but at least you'll have an idea of what you are getting. Also, bring your own ice! They don't have an ice machine and the unit your renting will likely just have a small tray for ice.
Enjoy the beach!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sterling Shores is a gulf-side high-rise condominium resort located in the heart of Destin near family activities, popular restaurants, and shopping. Sterling Shores offers 1-, 2- and 3-bedroom fully-equipped condominiums with private balconies in a resort setting that includes a picnic area, free-form lagoon pool, and a second beachside pool and clubhouse with a snack bar. A 42-seat surround sound theater, meeting/reception facilities, free DVD rentals, and free high-speed Internet access are also available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sterling Shores reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sterling Shores Hotel Destin
- Sterling Shores Destin, Florida