Sterling Shores
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Maravilla(Destin)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewsback porchacross the streetbeach accessshort walkcoming back next yeargo kartsnice condogreat poolenjoyed our staybath condobeach toyswasher dryeroutlet mallpoolsfloorpropertyvacation
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We visited Sterling Shores in 2005 and would come back twice a year. We have not returned until this past Memorial Day and unfortunately, this will probably be our last time staying here. The grounds and pool area are still kept up very nicely, however, the staff working inside the condo office are not pleasant, and our room was a joke. As others have posted, the office hours are limited. I'm not sure how the system works when a key is in the lock box, so if you do make a reservation here, be sure to find this out ahead of time. We arrived around 2:00 and were told that our condo wasn't ready yet. Okay, no biggie. We headed over to the back porch for some lunch. Upon returning, we received a call that we could check into our unit. We have stayed at many different units in Sterling shores, but I must say, if you find out that you are getting unit 305, be on the lookout. On the surface this unit appeared to be clean, but it wasn't. I always remove the comforter from the bed and pillow shams since it's typically been used by other guests w/out being cleaned. Upon removing the comforter to expose the blanket and sheets, I could see stains. This continued with the pillow cases and the extra blankets in the closet. The extra blankets in the closet had food stains, mascara marks, etc. It was disgusting. I spent my first couple hours washing laundry before I could settle in. I blame this solely on a lazy housekeeping company. I'm sure the owners of this unit have no clue that this is going on.

Secondly, who has a bathroom without an outlet? My husband couldn't shave in the bathroom using an electric shaver, I couldn't dry or curl my hair, etc. I had to take anything that required a plug into the kitchen and try to duck down into part of a mirror that was situated there.

The unit was very dated and could have been a little more in line with the times as far as the televisions etc., are concerned. We didn't use the television on this visit, but it's a very outdated style. Our bedside alarm clock was present, but it didn't work.

Also, they've hired a company to patrol the pool area during the day. You can't sit on the side of the pool with a drink of any type. In the past they were fine with you at least taking a bottle of water to the edge of the pool, or a plastic cup. I found the nit picking of the security personnel to be annoying. It was a constant patrol of individuals.

I think we will be checking out other alternatives in the future. I am sure there are some awesome units in Sterling Shores, but be sure to ask when you book which unit it is that you are going to get, and at least look for that unit on youtube. You won't be able to see all the flaws, but at least you'll have an idea of what you are getting. Also, bring your own ice! They don't have an ice machine and the unit your renting will likely just have a small tray for ice.

Enjoy the beach!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank thealee
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We stayed on 4th floor. Condo was located in center above pool. The view was awesome! We could see the ocean from the balcony. Although there's a street between condos and the beach, it wasn't a big deal. I didn't realize this till after I booked. I was really worried about it because we usually stay right on the beach. I was not disappointed at all! The street is not a main street, so very little traffic. Across the street is another pool from our resort which is right off the beach. It also has a snack bar with burgers and drinks. The grounds are immaculate. Very clean place to stay. I'm super picky about cleanliness of rooms, and my condo was so clean, I didn't mind walking barefooted. So I want to give a shout out to the housekeepers for doing a great job! It was really a home away from home. Every unit is decorated by their owners. Mine was decorated very cute! I will be back! This place was located close to shops and restaurants. Can't
wait to go back next year! Also, wanted to let you know that you will need to bring your own toliet paper, dishwashing soap, hand soap, and laundry detergent. They provide enough to get you started. Walmart is close by which is nice. We bought stuff for breakfast and lunches, but ate out for dinner. Having a washer and dryer was nice. We won't pack so many clothes next time since we were able to do laundry.

3  Thank Jamie B
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Our condo is own the 10th floor, the view from balcony is very nice. Checkin was great after 30 min of tryng to get in because we did not have a code. Not happy with a few things.It is very noisey, The accomodations aren't like most of the condos I have stayed in.
The Master bedroom furnishings could be better.There is not a hairdryer, not good when you are expectng there to be one. Disappointed that there is no Dishwashing liguid, or trash bags, no salt n pepper etc. The phone in the unit does not work. I have stayed in a lot of condos and this is #3 of my least favorite.
I do like the fact that the area is gated. It would just be better if you know what is and isn't provided before booking.

Room Tip: Just be specific about what matters to you .Everyones preferences are dfferent. My unit was not quiet. Probably would not matter for a family but for couples over 50 who want quiet and relaxation you probably need to be specific.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2013

poor info at time of reservation! Arrived unable to get in, front desk closes at 4:59pm keys are in a lock box as if for a foreclosed home. No service, no cleaning, no refills on room supplies, just a lot of friendly talk.although I was offered several upper mgmt phone #s they just apologized no offer for changes, upgrades, discount nor refund! Upside other visitors had similar complaints but were very friendly.....Nothing more offered than staying at the comfort or holiday inn. Pay less, spend your money shopping and eating!!! Always have the beach was fabulous.and free!!!

1  Thank karlatye
Reviewed 12 May 2013 via mobile

Great location. Has a large pool with a mushroom waterfall kids love. Another pool on the beach. Conveniently across the street from the Back Porch seafood restaurant and beach bar, as well as The Candy Factory, which now also serves breakfast. Great place to stay, especially if you want to split your time between the beach and pools.

2  Thank Larry H