“Way too expensive and service is not the best” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Captain Dave's On The Gulf

Captain Dave's On The Gulf
Ranked #32 of 301 Restaurants in Destin
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, View, Kids, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brevard, North Carolina
“Way too expensive and service is not the best”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

The restaurant is on the Gulf and has very nice decor. It was quieter than any other place we have eaten in Destin. Food is average but definitely not worth the cost. The biggest issue was the service. The table to the right of where we sat never got part of their order even though the server said he would be right out with it. The table to our left also did not get part of their meal. I had to ask for water and the server gave us the wrong bill.
We will not go back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Pace, Florida
“Best meal of our vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

I am so glad we tried Captain Dave's. After eating at several other seafood restaurants in the area I was about to give up on finding good seafood. Well we never really got to the main course. We had gumbo, 1/2 lb or shrimp and the wrapped scallops (yum) all off the appetizer menu. Add to that the best hush puppies ever and fresh bread we couldn't go any further. Service was good. The place was very clean and the view WOW.

Visited April 2014
Medford, Wisconsin
“Great Choice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had a fairly large group, but only had to wait a few minutes to be seated. The food was awesome and served with hot fresh loaves of bread. The wait staff was attentive and friendly. We enjoyed the beautiful view and also the sea water aquariums. Very good choice!

1 Thank Michelle R
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Yummy but sick”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

I went to Captain Dave's On the Gulf and it was pretty good. Our waiter wasn't very happy while he was serving us but I would give this place a average because the food was very good at the begging but after dinner the food upset my stomach for some reason. It was very nice place, but all the menus were different. They also have a very nice jewelry right when you walk into Captain Dave's. But other wise we had a beautiful seat by the window and right outside you could see the ocean. If you want to get something quick maybe you should go some where else. They also had a lot choices for kids.

Coastal Alabama
“Mouth watering awesomeness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

Being from the gulf coast, I'm pretty picky about seafood - I was skeptical at first, especially seeing some of the reviews weren't great. We chose here because it close to where we were staying. We had an app of fried green beans with a wasabi sauce (not on the menu - ask about them) - they were really good and not a big greasy. Our daughter had a grilled cheese - not on the menu, but they obliged turning two burger buns into the bread - worked great and we see this often in restaurants that don't offer grilled cheese. My husband, being a non-seafood person ate the friend chicken tenders, yeah, really went out there on that one huh - he said they were fine, nothing great to rave about - just tenders. I ventured off and went the the Grouper Pontchartrain and OMG and I want it even now - it was mouth watering awesome! Awesome I tell you, every bite made me happy. I was full when finished yet still wanted more of the entree.. it came with a choice of sides, both were tasty, but what I recall the best was the bite of crab and fish together - alone they were fine, but together - a taste bud explosion. I will go back, I will have the same thing and if it's not as good as this trip, I will cry. :) It was wonderful. Service was good - our server - Ben I believe - was friendly and prompt, but seemed like he had something else going on in his mind and wasn't fully focused on being where he was. I'll note that their steak prices are a bit high and could come down a bit for better sales. My entree was $27 I believe. The steak was $30-32.