“This hidden gem deserves its high rating...”

Wingate by Wyndham Destin
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Shawnee, Kansas
“This hidden gem deserves its high rating...”
Reviewed 19 March 2010

This hidden gem deserves its high rating! We stayed here for three nights during Spring Break. It is conveinently located to everything in Destin.

It was clean, comfortable and a good value at $129 per night. Our only issue was that the first night my two small kids and I were put in a room next to partying Spring Breakers. After a sleepless night, I asked the staff to move us to a quieter room on the third floor. They happily obliged, even offering to keep our luggage for us until the new room was ready. Great service.

Free breakfast was ehh. Fine enough for the kids though.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
NM
Reviewed 10 February 2010

This is the first time I've stayed at a Wingate hotel and I was impressed. The facility is clean and has all the amenities a traveler would want. It's located less than 1 mile from the beach in a nice area. The room is spacious and quiet. On top of all that I also got an outstanding rate.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 27 December 2009

We were there during x-mas break so it was relatively empty and we had a good deal, but this was the best staff that we have had at ANY hotel in a long, long time, regardless of price. All of the front-desk people were great, i.e., you could speak to them and they were knowledgeable and helpful. The room was about the same as any other in a decent or above hotel and the TV channels actually worked properly (switched channels without any delay).
One "complaint" is that the rooms could be quieter (like all hotels) in that you could hear through the walls relatively easily. I heard neighbor's TV in the morning and actually felt a bump from the wall when my head was against the headboard (I assume the neighbor bumped his/her headboard).

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
England
Reviewed 14 November 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for 11 days. We came to Destin for a holiday and loved every minute of it. The rooms are large, clean and quiet, with comfortable beds, Coffee making facilities, TV and fridge.
The staff is very friendly and the the breakfast is tasty even though very ' American'i.e. waffles, bagels, jam, cornflakes. I did not mind it but I guess after 10 days it was getting a bit much of the same.
The price - service relation was very satisfactory and we would definitely come again.

The nearby beach is beautiful and there is an outlet shopping mall about 20minutes away. There is also crazy golf which we enjoyed on one night.
We can recommend 'THE OUTBACK' and Australian/American Restaurant with the most beautiful food where we ate three times during our stay.

I would recommend this place to anyone, family, business, couples as it suits a variety of people.

By the way the hotel does have a very small pool but who needs a pool if there is an amazing beach down the road with sand to clean and white it could be snow?!

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelteamUK
Huntsville, AL
Reviewed 23 October 2009

Found this hotel recommended on Tripadvisor and we were very happy with the Hotel. Location was where we wanted to be within Destin. Clean, 5 years old but felt "brand new", great staff, good breakfast. Fitness center, pool, hot tub and Internet all in good working order.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GeoExplorer
jacksonville
Reviewed 12 October 2009

This hotel was nice and clean but you could tell it was new and after a few years the wallpaper will begin to peel and the carpet will get dingy. But for now, it is a great choice if you are looking for a bargin. The pool and hot tub were nice, hot breakfast consisted of waffle makers, cereal and milk, fruit (unbruised!), sausage, eggs with cheese (reconstituted eggs, that was a bummer), and all sorts of breads and danishes, as well as a toaster. Of course coffee and juice.
The hotel was off the main road so it was nice and quiet. The rooms were clean, and the staff was friendly. My only real complaint was that the beds weren't too comfortable. But overall, a thumbs up.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank decembertraveller
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 12 October 2009

Stayed at a Wingate in SC - absolutely LOVED it!

In Desin, it was only okay. Price was very fair, had an excellent breakfast (though, if you get there at about 8 AM, you've missed out on the best - the hot breakfast), staff was extremely polite and professional. Parking was close and we always found an available spot.

The bad: room looked old overall. Bathroom looked clean, but upon closer inspection, it was not. Inside toilet, underneath rim, was FILTHY - black and just plain gross. Had to call twice (two separate days) to get someone to clean it. Shower felt dirty and had mold on caulked edge. Carpeting seemed as though it had not been changed in 20 years - it was disgusting - I wore house shoes while walking on the carpet.

I guess it was okay for the money. If I'd paid more, I would have been very angry for what I got.

Stayed October 2009, travelled with family