“Wonderful hotel next door to Big Kahunas” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wingate by Wyndham Destin

Wingate by Wyndham Destin
Ranked #8 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Alabama
“Wonderful hotel next door to Big Kahunas”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

This is a very nice hotel! My only complaint is that it is NOT accessible to the beach. My husband & I had hoped to just cross the highway & be able to access the beach, but we found ourselves in a community of condos and beach homes with only gated beach access. However, public beach access is a short 5-10 minute drive away.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Cantonment, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2010

This is a great Hotel to stay and enjoy the beautiful Destin beaches. I have stayed here more than 300 nights on business and everyone is very friendly from the manager Karen to the front desk staff Andy and Jessica . The rooms are always very, very clean thanks to Taffy and staff. Would highly recommend staying at the Windgate in Destin.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Russell34550
Chattanooga, Tennessee
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

We stayed here because we stayed at other Wingates in other states. The hotel is out away from highway, which was ok. Except it was a little far to go to the beach. The staff were not very friendly; quite indifferent when we checked in. You think they would be happy to see customers considering the oil was threatening the coast any day. The facilities were clean, pool was adequate. The so called "Expanded breakfast" consisted of waffle irons, and all the other continental breakfast items. The mattresses are horrible, absolutely positively terrible. If you want to sleep comfortably, I wouldn't stay here. The springs on our bed were poking out in my side when I laid on my side, and they were so low to the ground and bouncy, I felt like I was a WCW wrestler. I was embarrassed to bring my wife, because I bragged about the beds in Wingate. Nothing but a cheap bed spread on the bed, with 3 cheap flat pillows for our King-size bed. Horrible five nights of trying to sleep. I made a comment on the Wingate corporate site, I doubt I will get any response or rectification.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank clarkie641
Chilhowie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2010

This was our second stay at this location and we were well pleased just as before. Quiet, which is important to us as well as breakfast included in price. We booked our stay thru hotels.com at $75 per night and we love it here.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2010

I took advantage of a promotion for booking 3 nights and revived a 30% discount. On the second night my daughter got sick and we had to leave the staff allowed me to keep that excellent rate instead of paying the normal rate thank wingate destination my advice for the room is get memory foam bed Toppers

• Stayed May 2010
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2010

My husband and I were in Destin looking for a snowbird condo for next winter and stayed 3 nights at the Wingate based on the reviews that I had read. I requested and received a room away from the elevator. On the first night we reported that the light in the entry foyer needed a new bulb. It was never replaced though we reported it two more times. The room seemed as if it had been half remodeled. The floor lamp was broken. The mattress was thin, badly stained, and quite uncomfortable. I ended up using a foam mattress pad that we carry with us and sprayed the bed with bed bug spray as a precaution. The coffee condiments were not refilled the first night, and the dirty coffee cups and glasses were not replaced. Breakfast was quite mediocre. We stayed at a Wingate in Valdosta, GA, in early February that was exceptional for its class and expected the same in Destin. I would not recommend this hotel to travelers.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarenMaze
Shawnee, Kansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2010

This hidden gem deserves its high rating! We stayed here for three nights during Spring Break. It is conveinently located to everything in Destin.

It was clean, comfortable and a good value at $129 per night. Our only issue was that the first night my two small kids and I were put in a room next to partying Spring Breakers. After a sleepless night, I asked the staff to move us to a quieter room on the third floor. They happily obliged, even offering to keep our luggage for us until the new room was ready. Great service.

Free breakfast was ehh. Fine enough for the kids though.

• Stayed March 2010