“Terrible customer service”

Ranked #12 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Auburn, United States
“Terrible customer service”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I had a 3 day stay with points. at check in the staff indicated that i could stay in the same room for all three days. the second day when i came back to my room, i was locked out.. when i went to the front desk i was told by "the staff" that said i would not have to change rooms, that they did not remember telling me that and that my room type was different for the next two days. They moved me to another room and after opening the door to the new room they indicated "this is actually the same room type and the one we moved you from". The move caused me to be late fro a family event that i was hosting with other siblings. The room was horrible and the staff was plain "mean". I would like to talk with someone about this situation.

3 Thank Jamie S
Tim M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 23 July 2014
I do apologize, for the issue at our hotel. There was a miscommunication with our staff and I take full responsibility for any issue at the hotel. I know when you are on vacation everything should be perfect and we did not provide that for you. I also know we did provide you with a free nights stay as part of our apology, and hope you will take that into account. Again, I am sorry for the issue and changing of the rooms.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Reviewed 15 July 2014

SOOOOO disappointed in this hotel. Apparently, a bunch of smokers occupied our room recently, and the room had poor air circulation. It was very difficult to catch a good clean breath of air, and we were careful to not put our luggage on any upholstery or the carpet so that our things would not stink. We were able to turn the air very cold and run the fan on high to get some peace. The breakfast was basically non-existent - the orange juice was colored water, and the hot food containers were empty. There were a couple of old looking muffins, and boiled eggs. However, our room was very quiet :) and the check-in lady was very nice.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Tim M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 16 July 2014
I understand the room had a smokey smell to it. As one of our last rooms it is a smoking room and we normally have guests check the room as it is smoking. The hotel does plan on removing all smoking rooms in the next year during renovations.
I do apologize that breakfast is so hectic, during the last 45 minutes we have the majority of our guests come down as it is vacation time. We do try to prepare ahead and stock up the area, this day we did not keep up well enough. Every day the staff makes strides to improve how we serve our guests and we hope you will return.
Navarre
Reviewed 15 July 2014

In Destin this was a "good" place to stay. Based on other hotels in the area for the price it was ok. To go up in price substantially you get more bang for the buck. The only real problem we had here was the beds were not comfortable. It was clean, the staff were extremely friendly, the breakfast had a good selection each morning and we had no problems here. It is located close to choice things to do in Sandestin as in shopping, eating etc. Try the new bowling alley at the Commons "Uncle Bucks Fish Bowl". Food not so good but the rest was great.

Allen, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My wife and I are long time Hampton Inn users, but we feel as though we got used/misled by this one, particularly considering how expensive the rooms are. The website describes it as just across the street from the beach. That may be true, but what they don't say is that there are big time share buildings between you and the beach, so you can barely even see the water. Additionallly, to even get to the beach you must walk about 1/4 miles down the road. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Rich B
Tim M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
I am sorry you felt mislead, I have reviewed our web site and all areas refer to ourselves as a quarter mile from the beach as you have indicated yourself. The other Hampton in the Destin area does talk about being across from the beach. We try not to mislead our guests as this is one of the most asked questions. We hope you will consider us again when you are in the area.
Boerne, Texas
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The accommodations were fine... Aside from the wall window view.

No matter how many hotels we have stayed in from TOP of the line to not so much... The ONLY impression left by Hampton Inn & Suites was that of the bald, rude man working on our last night. (Sorry, I didn't catch his name & I surely don't want anyone else getting in trouble for his bad behavior!)
He yelled at me!!!! Quite frankly scared me and decided to tell me LOUDLY of the "felony for unpaid bills" or something very uneducated in that manner!!" (I'll explain shortly)
I simply walked away at this point... It was also well after midnight & I was ONLY down to get some clothes dried!
This guy is a loose cannon!
My CC kept locking up do to Florida being a high risk for fraud (according to my bank) so, a few times throughout our stay I had to call my bank to get the block removed. Which EVERY OTHER EMPLOYEE THERE UNDERSTOOD PERFECTLY FINE!
When I called the next morning to report this guy's behavior the nice lady said AND I QUOTE... "That's why he works nights, ma'am" OMG... WHY??? Does this guy work here????? HAMPTON INN TAKE MY ADVICE AND GET RID OF THIS GUY. He's baaad news for your company.
We will not be back... And we travel often!!!

Stayed June 2014
9 Thank Keithyncourt
I am sorry this is the impression you left our hotel with. Our Auditor is a four year veteran of the hotel and our guests like him. I understand he asked about the payment issue and your response was not to solve the issue and tell him we made the mistake, which as you stated was not the case. Again, I am sorry for this incident and any misunderstanding there may be.
Voorhees, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This hotel should be avoided. The entrance is by a Trash Enclosure from Fast Food restaurants, that are overflowing with Trash and grease, that smells when the tempertature is HOT. The Port Cachere faces the rear of the restaurants.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business

3 Thank Charles B
Tim M, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Dear Charles B,
I am sorry you were disappointed with the entrance to the hotel. We do have two ways to enter the hotel area, one is past the dumpster area and the other is past the retail shops. As you may have noted this area is big on retail with the 125 outlet shops across the street. When I first arrived in this area I to found some of the odor's different, I do know being on the Gulf Coast is different from were I have lived in the past. I do hope you will consider us again in the future.
Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed there on a family vacation booked through HHonors. The room was good, and the hotel overall was nice. The only complaint I have would be on location. It can be confusing on how to get to it. It would be nicer if there were a path or sidewalk heading towards the beaches. But I can't fault the hotel itself for that. It was a good stay for the price and I would recommend if you don't mind the drive to the beach to save a few bucks.

Stayed June 2014