“Quick Getaway! This is New Favorite”

Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Atlanta, GA
“Quick Getaway! This is New Favorite”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

Recently found a new job after being underemployed for awhile. As much as I liked the idea of steady income, I kind of dreaded just a little bit the loss of my freedom to go where I wanted whenever I wanted. So I decided to get one more escape. I always loved jets so I decided to drive down to Pensacola to check out the Navy Air Museum. However, I wanted a little taste of my favorite beach sand, so I decided to spend the night in Destin, FL.

Since it was after the holidays I expected a dramatic reduction in hotel rates. Surprisingly although they fell from summer rates, the rates did not settle down to the level of the Spring rates, which previous Fall rates reflected. So I printed out rates from hotel.com, but did not book anything. About 40 miles out from Destin I started calling around. The walk-in rates were running about $130 to $140 for the hotels I reached initially. I asked them to match a $82 rate I found on hotels.com for Candlewood (it was actually booked) and Courtyard by Marriott provided a rate of about $100. Another hotel provided a rate of $80, but I was willing to pay $20 more to have access to the Sandestin facilities.

Location: - The Courtyard and the Residence Inn, coordinates 'N32 22 47,W 86 19 16' (across the parking lot) sit right on Highway 98, Emerald Coast Highway. They are about 1/2 mile East of the Main Sandestin Resort entrance, however there is also an entrance to the resort right next to the hotel parking lot, which is manned during the day. East of it you will find a Publix, Carrabbas, some boutique shops and some smaller local restaurants. A brand new Wal-Mart is about a mile further east.

Exterior- I've stayed at the sister hotel (Residence Inn) before, and this hotel property from the outside looks like it is very well-kept. Shrubbery, outside furnishings, driveway and parking lot still have a relatively new look, although I know this place has been here a few years.

Lobby Interior- The lobby in this hotel is actually significantly larger than the Residence Inn across the street, it is also brighter with a larger breakfast area. The staff that greeted me were really nice and cheerful. Furnishing was fine and the provide a little area with computers for web access, if you don't have your own. Wireless is available in the lobby and it is definitely stronger than what I experience in the lobby of the Residence Inn.

Room- Was surprisingly very large for a hotel room. The carpeting was not plush and soft, but it was clean with one or two minor stains and it matched the decor. The decor was a beige and yellow in color. The tv was the regular type, not a flat panel. The work desk is really nice with a lot of space on it. I'm actually using the wireless now, but there is an ethernet cable on the work desk, which would provide obviously a higher level of security. Lamps, chairs, beds were tasteful. Although the bed physically was fine, it did not have the 'jump into me right now' kind of feel, that I experienced at the Residence Inn. But hey, the Residence Inn was looking for about $40 more tonight, when I called them. This Courtyard is quite good and I have no real complaints.

Other Items- Remember this hotel has a relationship with the Sandestin Resort, so you will be given a pass that let's you onto the resort for use of the beach, the facilities and of course you can go over to Baytowne Wharf, which is the entertainment part of Sandestin Resort.

Summary - I don't like spending $100 for any hotel. But in this case I made a mental decision to spend more here than I would have for another hotel down the street. Why, because the hotel is nice and even more than that I get access to Sandestin Resort and beach, without paying Sandestin rates, which runs about $140 or so, plus a resort fee. Yes, this is a new favorite and I rate it very good.

NOTE: This handicap room has a tub in it with a low lip, which is helpful. However, when I take ma with me, I have found a walk-in shower with a seat to be preferable.

Some photos before I messed up anything.

Room Tip: Call around like I did to make sure there is area availability. Then negotiate.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank Lifetraveler1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
Hendersonville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2011

If you go tosandestin and want the perks of the finz resort without the price...this is yourplace. Highly recommend

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Slidell, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

This was labor day weekend which is very busy in Destin. With several weddings and a family reunion the hotel was very busy, but the staff made my wife and her friend feel like the only people in the hotel. This is why I try to stay here on business and pleasure!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
Crystal Beach, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

Overall, we had a great experience at this hotel. The front desk staff were pleasant and helpful and check in was a very easy process. The rooms were very clean and nicely decorated. The only thing that the room lacked was a side table by the chair otherwise, was excellent. The only bad feature that we experienced was the breakfast buffet. I would definitely recommend going somewhere else. The food selection was very mediocre, service was poor and the omelet station was awful. The wait was long the breakfast area was crowded because of the layout. My omelet was very under cooked and wet egg was running on my plate into the other food. The toasters did not work and burned the bread. One was missing a handle. If you go it is a lovely place to stay....just go out for breakfast. Another Broken Egg restaurant is close by and wonderful!

1 Thank Ruffles22
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

Nice comfortable hotel with friendly staff. Will be there again next year.

Katy, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This was our 3rd year staying at the property. The hotel is in a great location, next to a major upscale shopping center with rseveral nice estaurants and retails outlets. We were given a balcony room which overlooked the pool. The only issue I had with our room was that the carpet was in need of a shampoo. There were 2 large dark spots on the carpet. The hotel restaurant, bar and lobby was immaculate. The staff was always friendly and helpful.

The hotel is lcoated next to the Sandestin Report which we were given acess to use their facilities. The Baytowne Wharf is also a great place to dine and enjoy activities.

I also like the fact that no pets were allowed in the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room overlooking the pool.
1 Thank b56pete
Decatur, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

We booked the presidential suite at the Courtyard Marriott in Sandestin for our wedding day. When we first arrived (around 1pm), our suite was not yet ready; however, the staff did everything possible to make our day stress free. They put us in a temporary room until our room was ready - 30 minutes until we received a call that it was ready for us! The room was absolutely beautiful. It was clean and very roomy. There was complimentary wine and two adorable towel swans sitting on our bed. We had a beautiful view of the golf course and the Sandestin area. It is very close to many restaurants, shopping, the beach, etc. I would definitely recommend this place to everyone and anyone. Very pleased!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple