Recently found a new job after being underemployed for awhile. As much as I liked the idea of steady income, I kind of dreaded just a little bit the loss of my freedom to go where I wanted whenever I wanted. So I decided to get one more escape. I always loved jets so I decided to drive down to Pensacola to check out the Navy Air Museum. However, I wanted a little taste of my favorite beach sand, so I decided to spend the night in Destin, FL.
Since it was after the holidays I expected a dramatic reduction in hotel rates. Surprisingly although they fell from summer rates, the rates did not settle down to the level of the Spring rates, which previous Fall rates reflected. So I printed out rates from hotel.com, but did not book anything. About 40 miles out from Destin I started calling around. The walk-in rates were running about $130 to $140 for the hotels I reached initially. I asked them to match a $82 rate I found on hotels.com for Candlewood (it was actually booked) and Courtyard by Marriott provided a rate of about $100. Another hotel provided a rate of $80, but I was willing to pay $20 more to have access to the Sandestin facilities.
Location: - The Courtyard and the Residence Inn, coordinates 'N32 22 47,W 86 19 16' (across the parking lot) sit right on Highway 98, Emerald Coast Highway. They are about 1/2 mile East of the Main Sandestin Resort entrance, however there is also an entrance to the resort right next to the hotel parking lot, which is manned during the day. East of it you will find a Publix, Carrabbas, some boutique shops and some smaller local restaurants. A brand new Wal-Mart is about a mile further east.
Exterior- I've stayed at the sister hotel (Residence Inn) before, and this hotel property from the outside looks like it is very well-kept. Shrubbery, outside furnishings, driveway and parking lot still have a relatively new look, although I know this place has been here a few years.
Lobby Interior- The lobby in this hotel is actually significantly larger than the Residence Inn across the street, it is also brighter with a larger breakfast area. The staff that greeted me were really nice and cheerful. Furnishing was fine and the provide a little area with computers for web access, if you don't have your own. Wireless is available in the lobby and it is definitely stronger than what I experience in the lobby of the Residence Inn.
Room- Was surprisingly very large for a hotel room. The carpeting was not plush and soft, but it was clean with one or two minor stains and it matched the decor. The decor was a beige and yellow in color. The tv was the regular type, not a flat panel. The work desk is really nice with a lot of space on it. I'm actually using the wireless now, but there is an ethernet cable on the work desk, which would provide obviously a higher level of security. Lamps, chairs, beds were tasteful. Although the bed physically was fine, it did not have the 'jump into me right now' kind of feel, that I experienced at the Residence Inn. But hey, the Residence Inn was looking for about $40 more tonight, when I called them. This Courtyard is quite good and I have no real complaints.
Other Items- Remember this hotel has a relationship with the Sandestin Resort, so you will be given a pass that let's you onto the resort for use of the beach, the facilities and of course you can go over to Baytowne Wharf, which is the entertainment part of Sandestin Resort.
Summary - I don't like spending $100 for any hotel. But in this case I made a mental decision to spend more here than I would have for another hotel down the street. Why, because the hotel is nice and even more than that I get access to Sandestin Resort and beach, without paying Sandestin rates, which runs about $140 or so, plus a resort fee. Yes, this is a new favorite and I rate it very good.
NOTE: This handicap room has a tub in it with a low lip, which is helpful. However, when I take ma with me, I have found a walk-in shower with a seat to be preferable.
Some photos before I messed up anything.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Break away to one of the top Destin, Florida, hotels at Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard. Corporate travelers will benefit from the new lobby that is designed to give guests the flexibility to work and socialize on their terms. New enhancements to our Destin, Florida, hotel include a contemporary lobby, flexible seating to fit individual or group needs, complimentary Wi-Fi, private media booths and, our new signature element, the touch screen with GoBoard® technology for information on the go. Introducing one of the newest restaurants among hotels in Destin, Florida, The Bistro offers breakfast, lunch and dinner with refreshing, high quality and healthy menu options. "Eat, Drink, and Connect"™ with friends and colleagues for a value that simply cannot be beat. Explore our Destin, FL, hotel's enchanting surroundings consisting of beaches, running and walking trails, state parks, championship golf courses and tennis courts. We invite you to work and relax at Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Marriott, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Courtyard Sandestin At Grand Boulevard Hotel Destin
- Courtyard Hotel Destin
- Courtyard Destin
- Destin Courtyard
- Destin Marriott
- Courtyard Sandestin At Grand Boulevard Destin, Florida