“Beautiful property, amazing staff, but with a show stopper for me”

Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard
Ranked #4 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Valparaiso, Florida
“Beautiful property, amazing staff, but with a show stopper for me”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I stayed at the Courtyard in June and in many respects it is far above average for this type of property. We were here four or five nights this summer to be near Sacred Heart hospital for my moms hip replacement surgery. The staff was welcoming from the first moment we entered the premises. Roberta checked us in and put us in a lovely large suite.

The issue, however, began within seconds of entering the property. There was an extremely strong fragrance (what I now understand to be the "signature" fragrance of the property) permeating the air in the hotel. We went ahead and checked in as we had a schedule to follow for preparing for surgery.

When we got to the room, the smell was even more pronounced. My eyes were watering and I had a hard time breathing. My throat closed, and I quickly developed a migraine. I realized that schedule or no, I needed to see if anything could be done. I headed downstairs and talked to the staff, and Daniel and Roberta were incredibly sympathetic and helpful. They found a room that they thought might be better, and took me over to check it out. It was significantly better, so we agreed to change and they helped us make the move. Daniel arranged to have a special treatment for the room when we left for the hospital the next morning to try to remove more of the smell.

When I returned the following night, it seemed a bit better, but I still had issues. I realized it was probably as good as it was going to get with the extremely strong fragrance in the halls, lobby, etc. I enjoyed the stay as much as one could under the circumstances, and as I was only there to sleep, I made do. The staff at all times was caring and fantastic. Particularly, but not only, Roberta and Daniel. Not only did they inquire each day on status from the surgery, they also checked to see how I was doing with the room. I know if I had the time or inclination they would have continued to try to make things perfect, but my priority was to be at hospital to support my mom.

Caveat here is that I am extremely sensitive to strong fragrances (esp artificial), and they cause distress for me when others seem to be unaffected. My husband joined me for a few nights, and while he did notice and not love the fragrance, he was mostly unaffected, save a few strong sneezing fits.

The hotel is very well located near shopping, beaches, and hospital. While it was quite crowded with families (high season), the room was always quiet.

I stopped back by a few days ago prior to writing this review and the strong fragrance in the lobby was undiminished. Probably a lot of people think it smells wonderful, but for fragrance sensitive folks like me, I recommend look elsewhere. In addition, I'll be cautious about booking courtyards in future as that was not an experience I care to repeat. For the Febreze, bath&body works, and glade crowd, you will likely think it's fabulous. : )

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sydno1
Tania K, General Manager at Courtyard Sandestin at Grand Boulevard, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experience Sydno1 - I hope that your mother's hip replacement surgery went smoothly and that she is recovering well from the procedure. I understand your sensitivity to the frangrance of air freshener we use in the hotel and I apologize that we were not able to make you 100% comfortable. Thank you for letting me know about our staff's attempts to ease your trouble with the smell. Robertha and Daniel are great members of our team and I know that your reaction to our scent was a challenge for them to resolve - but I am glad to hear that they never gave up in their quest for your satisfaction. I hope that you might reconsider visiting us again in the future - we may be able to find a solution for your sensitivity to our products. I appreciate you sharing this so that we can work to ensure our hotel is a positive environment for all of our guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
Beverly Hills, California
Reviewed 17 August 2014

First of all, after a long drive from DC to Destin, I was greeted with a smiling Filipina at the front desk. They were so friendly and accommodating, especially Kina! She went an extra mile to make sure my stay at the Courtyard was comfortable.

The hotel is also walking distance from the Sandestin Resort and the Grand Boulevard, where there are shops and restaurants you can enjoy. Even a movie theatre. The outdoor pool was amazing and it was nice that the kiddie pool was separated. The hotel has a laundry room which was helpful for a week's stay.

Even though it isn't beachfront, it is just less than 5 minutes away from the beach.

Room Tip: Get room 510 and you will see the trees across the street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank M B
Thank you so much for your review! Kina is definitely an asset to our team and her welcoming smile is one of our strongest amenities! I am so pleased that we were able to create a comfortable and relaxing home-away-from-home for you. Thank you for mentioning our lovely neighborhood as well - the Grand Boulevard area has a variety of delicious restaurants to choose from and the Boulevard 10 movie theatre is the best in the area! A lovely review like this is incredibly meaningful coming from a veteran traveler such as yourself. Thank you, again!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 August 2014

The best part about this hotel was definitely the friendly staff. This courtyard is on the main road and is about a 10 minute drive to the beach. Located near new shopping center with restaurants and Publix grocery store. The pool is small but who goes there when the beach is so close. Family hotel so expect loud kids around the pool and hall ways. Free wifi but breakfast is not free. The single elevator is inadequate for the size of the building and you'll e

Room Tip: I would pick a room facing east for better views and the single elevator is extremely slow so I woul...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I have to say, from check in to check out, it was what i expect from a Marriott brand, the desk clerk Erica was nice and helpful, the restaurant was as advertised, the room was spotless, large flat tv, comfy bed, and the bathroom was super clean, i would recommend this Marriott to everyone, it feels like a Marriott should feel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Chicago2772
Waynesboro, Ms
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I can't say enough about the staff at this hotel. I don't think that I have ever stayed anywhere that the entire staff was as courteous, friendly and helpful as this staff! Even the ones that we just passed in the corridor were friendly, spoke to us with a big smile. Special shout out to the front desk staff especially Rizza, Lyza and Kina! The rooms were clean, well appointed and really more than I expected. Great stay

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

I couldn't find anything wrong with this hotel! Nothing! The room was super clean, the bistro was good and the staff!!!! This was the best hotel staff I have ever seen! From Sam and Robertha at the front desk from Maria and Lindsay on the housekeeping staff, they were amazing! The front desk staff would welcome you back and wish you a pleasant day when you leave! Lindsay made towel animals on the bed for the kids (my husband loved them the best). We will definitely be back to this hotel!

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Nett6
St. Augustine, Florida
Reviewed 6 August 2014

My husband and I traveled to this hotel spur of the moment over the weekend and were extremely impressed with the clean, comfortable room and friendly, professional staff. We were always greeted with a smile by the front desk and the food in the cafe was delicious. My only reservation in writing this review is now everyone will want to stay here!
Seriously, a beautiful hotel with an even better price. Would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple