“So awesome--a must do!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Takeout
Reviewed 23 July 2014

I had done a lot of research on restaurants before our Destin vacation and this place was highly recommended so we definitely wanted to try it. Several reviews had suggested not judging by location/looks of the place. How true this was! So there is a Dewey Destin that we passed on the main strip several times but that is not the one---this one you drive until you almost cross the bridge, then turn down a road before you do. Following my GPS, we turned down another side street and saw a Big Lots cart in a yard and cats running across the street. Then we saw a sign for Dewey Destin that was next to what looked like an abandoned building (this was not the place...it was there to indicate that you are getting close). Our whole party was questioning where we were going and were we sure that we wanted to eat here. As we rounded the corner, we saw Dewey Destin at the water's edge with a huge red sun setting over the water behind it. It was a beautiful sight that had us grabbing the cameras quick! It is very rundown looking but such a cool experience. We waited in a short line before ordering. After placing your order, they give you your drinks, take your name, and tell you to have a seat and they will bring it out. As they bring out your food, they are yelling your name over and over until you raise your hand/yell back to indicate where you are. Napkins, ketchup, salt, etc. are in buckets on each table. We ordered grouper, catfish, chicken, and burger and it was all very good. It was all cooked perfectly and so delicious in a great setting. I would suggest arriving before sunset so you get the full effect instead of taking a quick picture from the parking lot!

Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

Third year for us to go back and probably about the sixth time to eat at this little hidden gem. There's no air conditioning which was fine for us we enjoy watching the boats come by from crab island. The food has always been wonderful. Soft shell crab sandwich is awesome and my 9 year old got crab claws and ate every last one. We always get the tuna dip - fabulous. You won't regret it

Reviewed 21 July 2014

On our honeymoon in Destin we asked some locals where we should eat, and they suggested Dewey Destin's. I ordered the pecan crusted grouper and it was amazing! About 4 years later we were on vacation with our whole family an hour away. On our last night there we suggested that everyone make the hour long drive to go eat at Dewey Destin's. We followed our GPS, and when we were a couple minutes away we saw a sign for Dewey Destins, but it didn't look like we remembered so we decided to continue following the GPS. It took us to the Crab Island location on Calhoun Dr. We remembered a gravel driveway, but we didn't remember driving past dumpters and piles of trash to get to the restaurant like we did this time. I also didn't remember the kitchen being a food truck or some type of trailer parked against the shack of a building. When we walked in our family was already in line.. standing at the counter waiting to give their order. My husband and I were so confused! When we went on our honeymoon it was a sit down restaurant. We decided to stay because it was late and everyone was starving. It was also crowded so we thought that it must be good. We were wrong. My aunt and uncle said that their gumbo and grilled chicken were good. I was so looking forward to the yummy pecan crusted grouper again, but this location didn't have that so ordered a shrimp basket. The shrimp was flavorless, and the fries had no salt. You get paper cups and dip your own ice out of a cooler. You sit at picnic tables and your food comes in a plastic basket with a piece of wax paper in it. And my aunt and uncle paid over $70 for a family of four! That would have been very reasonable for what we received on our former visit but not this one. It was not at all the experience that we drove an hour one way to have. I would have been much more satisfied eating at the Chick-fil-a that we passed on the way there. When we left, my husband and I decided to pull in at the other location that we had seen. When we pulled in we immediately recognized that this was the location that we had been to on our honeymoon. So if you want the true Dewey Destin's experience then go to the Harborside location on 98.

1  Thank Amber P
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We had to wait a little over an hour but that was expected after calling ahead and reading previous TA reviews. The addition of drinks and appetizers while you waited helped to pass the time. You have to try the smoked tuna dip!! Once inside the service was great and the food was worth the wait.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We loved this little place so much. The atmosphere and view is amazing and the food was delicious. A hidden gem in Destin!!!