“Aging property.”

Ranked #17 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Destin
Knoxville, Tennessee
“Aging property.”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

We spent a week in unit B505 in October. Destin is beautiful with a great sugar sand beach and lots of nice seafood restaurants. We also caught a lot of mingo snapper on one of the party fishing boats.
However, the condo buildings are aging, having been built about 30 years ago. They was daily sandblasting and concrete repair on the exterior of the building which was loud. They said it would be around February before it was completed.
The worst part was our unit had black mold around the HVAC vents which caused us to have an allergic reaction (sneezing, sinus congestion, and coughing).
I would highly recommend renting somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Talking_Bob

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

I have been staying here for 31 years and it has the best location to the beach I've ever seen. They do have more modern and upscale places to stay but this place is right on the beach and it is clean and nice and has kept us coming back for years.

• Stayed September 2013
3 Thank Bc5180
Reviewed 21 July 2013

I have to say making a reservation without knowing the company or the quality of the room was scary but upon our arrival I was very please with everything! The location is great just down the road from destin and all this area has to offer but far enough away that you don't have to deal with all the craziness if you choose not to. The room is bigger than we expected and everything was clean and the view was awesome to say the least... Will be back next year!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Teddyh4
Northville, MI
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We have stayed here over Spring Break the last two years and had great visits both time. We loved how quiet it was and how we could leave our room and be down on the beach within a minute. We also loved how big the beach was at this area, much bigger than further down the beach. This is private beach and the complex is relatively small so we always felt like we had the beautiful beach to ourselves. Our unit was nice but then they are all individually owned - we booked ours through VRBO. The one downfall is that they only heat the pool through March, which is very unfortunate as it is still quite chilly in April and due to the weather the kids didn't always want to be on the beach yet the pool was even too cold for them. There was always plenty of parking, it was very close to a grocery store and Catholic Church, and apart of a long walking/biking trail that takes you all the way down the beach.
I thought this was a good value the first year but the price went up the second year and now that I compared to other similar places on that same street, I am thinking it is now overpriced for what you get. While we did enjoy our stay very much I think I will look elsewhere next time simply because there are other places that seem very comparable for a better price.

Room Tip: The views of all of the condos seem great. We were on the 5th floor and enjoyed watching dolphins sw...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank btmaxwell
Reviewed 24 June 2013 via mobile

Spent a week at the Beach House condos. We have 3 young children and found the 5th floor unit very nice. The views of the ocean are excellent. The building is older but it's well maintained. The swimming pool was very clean. Beach was flat and you can't beat the white gulf coast sand. Kids loved the complimentary video rentals. We would definitely return.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank GeorgiaVoyager
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed 7 May 2013 via mobile

We regularly stay at the Beach House in May, but next year we will look elsewhere and here's why: First, there wasn't a discounted rate offered in May this year on 2 bed/2 bath units. I called the resort booking agency Wyndham, repeatedly for a discount. Finally I booked thru Expedia days before our arrival to get the discount I was looking for. Thanks for making me waste a lot of time Wyndham. We will book thru Expedia from now on. Second, when we walked down to the beach and sat down, a new beach chair nazi informed me that we were allowed 2 chairs (which is all we were using) and if we needed more he would help us out, AND he works for gratuity. Really?! I have worked jobs where gratuity is appreciated but you never tell someone you are working for gratuity! Needless to say I did not tip him, and we are always generous tippers. 2 chairs are included with each unit. Third, we checked in on the weekend and the office was closed. Checkout wasn't until Thursday, however the office called our room Tuesday to inform us that there was a $150 balance (cleaning fee) due on our room and we needed to pay it now. They also had changed our code to get into our condo without any advance notice. Locking us out of our unit without advance phone call and treating us like criminals trying to go without paying is wrong. We stay here yearly, cleaning the place like its our own. Just a friendly phone reminder would have been proper. Ridiculous! Fourth, the pool was being worked on the week we were there. That can be expected sometimes, however the men doing the work should do so at the paid guests convenience, not theirs. Everyday they would show up at noon, moving all the chairs and begin pouring sand around the pool, and making a lot of noise. Most everyone would leave. Why shouldn't they do their work after 5 if they want the job? Fifth, for the past two years there is a man that uses a condo unit balcony right in front of the pool using an electric saw for beach house repairs I presume. Why for the past 2 years he uses this same unit disrupting the peaceful sound of the ocean for pool guests is beyond me. I'm disappointed in the service this year. Still a beautiful location but next year we will stay elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013
7 Thank tina m
Castle Pines, Colorado
Reviewed 8 October 2012

So the main selling point for us with this location was the beach service. My advise is that if that is important to you ... pay the extra cash somewhere else. While they do guarantee you a umbrella and two chairs, there is no guarantee how far down the beach, we were staying in the "A" building and Sunday morning we couldn't find one except at the other end of the complex. Annoying, and when I called asking about this I was told to talk to the beach attendant. I insisted I didn't see one and the phone service assured me they would be there in around 20 minutes (which was more like two hours).

I am not normally a winer about the petty stuff, and in all honesty this is a petty complaint. But it is little touches like this that caused me to rate this place low. No initial coffee for your first morning, no small shampoo bottles ... little things like that help relieve stress from your stay. (By the way I don't drink coffee, but most people do)

Anyway, not a bad place, great view from the balcony, the beach was very nice ... it just didn't measure up to what I would consider a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family