“Condo, not what expected. Never use Book it! Hidden fees...”

The Villas at Seascape Resort
Ranked #53 of 55 Speciality Lodging in Destin
Mt. Vernon, MO
“Condo, not what expected. Never use Book it! Hidden fees...”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Just got back from Seascape in Destin, FL. It was good to get away and see the ocean, which I have never done before. I read plenty of reviews on Seascape before I went and found that everything negative said about Seascape was true. I used Book It to book the condo, a 1 bedroom, 1 bath. Before we left for our trip I tried to upgrade our condo to a two bedroom condo and found that Seascape would not allow me to do that without paying a $100.00 cancelation fee for the 1 bedroom. I've never experienced that kind of service before. If I wanted to spend more money, normally I've able to upgrade without any cancelation fee.
I did like the location, there was plenty to do in the area and the beach is beautiful. The condo was clean, but the we wanted a king size bed and only got a full size bed, the sofa bed was broken and wouldn't pull out, the washer and dryer was old and made a LOT of noise. Sitting in the living room with the washer and dryer going was so loud it was hard to talk to each other. There was very few supplies in the condo, no dish washing soap, dish washer soap, paper towels, there was only 1 bowl to eat cereal with. We didn't do any cooking while there except for using the microwave so I couldn't say anything about that. Oh, and if you want internet, forget it. There was no wifi at the condo and I wasn't going to pay more for internet, I didn't even ask if there was the option to pay for it, because I had already paid enough. I also have a iPhone with internet service, but could not get internet service with that either. I had good phone service, but the internet would not work, I don't know why.
If you want to play golf while in Destin, don't play at Seascape. It's the worst golf course there. It is a pasture with holes. We played at Kelly Plantation and it was wonderful. The apple they give you on the 10th tee were great!
Now for Book it. NEVER USE BOOK IT! Book It is the worst deal on the web. You will pay for your condo/room with them and then when you get to Seascape you will have to pay more. We stayed at Seascape for 4 nights and I had to pay an extra $222.00 when I got there. You have to pay $28.00 dollars per day for an amenity fee and almost a $100.00 cleaning fee. Also, if you request certain things for your condo like a king size bed you can bet on not getting it. If you book with Book It your request is not guaranteed. Book It is a rip off! We will NEVER use this site again. Apparently Seascape doesn't like Book It either, they will not work with you in the slightest bit if you use them to book your stay.
If you didn't understand what I said above about Book It I'll say it again. NEVER USE BOOK IT, NEVER USE BOOK IT, NEVER USE BOOK IT!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
4 Thank cccb_oldman

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 3 August 2009

Upon arrival there was confusion with my reservation that was never resolved. I was originally booked for a 3BR/3BA in the highrise but was given a 3BR/2BA room in the Boardwalk Villa. Furthermore, I has requested a queen bed in the 3rd BR, which I was not granted. Fortunately, a couple of people had canceled and were not able to join the trip. Thus, the space was adequate. Anyway, the condo overlooked the lake and was quiet and peaceful. It was clean with nice, updated decor. There was a short walk to the beach. However, there was not a charcoal grill as advertised on the site. After inquiring about it, the staff at the front desk responded by saying the charcoal grills were only for the residents of one of the highrises. Nonetheless, the property was located on a main strip, allowing us easy access to many stores and activities. Although, I was fortunate to be told about the extra fees before I arrived, many were not. Thus, I heard many complaints about the extra fees while I waited. SO, if you plan to stay here, beware of the extra fees.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Alabama
Reviewed 28 July 2009

My Family rented a condo in Ariel Dunes II the condo was very average nothing special and we have stayed in many of the years. We had to wait over an hour to check in once check in began...but they certainly wanted you out by 11 am. The only beach view is in between * around * over another large condo complex in front of you. The two chairs and the privilege of using the pool came at a very large hidden fee price. I did not even know what it was until I retuned home. Was given no reciept or invoice upon check-out. Fees for four nights was over 235 dollars and obsorbdant price for what is given and should be included in the cost of the room. Would not return to this resort again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank reginaanne
Herrin, IL
Reviewed 15 June 2009

We rented a 3 bedroom, 3 bath condo. Upon arrival at Ariel Dunes II my daughter-in-law turned down the bed sheet to find "Hairs" and a stain on the sheets and blanket. My son called the front desk to learn from the assistant manager on duty that housekeeping leaves at 5 p.m. The manager told him to sleep on the couch and that she would have housekeeping change the sheets and blanket. Why would we sleep on the couch after paying in full for the 4 night stay. The manager did finally come up to change the sheets but was VERY rude. While staying there we ran out of trash bags and toilet paper and was told that we have to purchase our own. My husband and I are owners of a condo in Branson, MO and that is not the case there. Necessary items are there for the guests. The only thing that I can say positive about Seascape is the view from the 21st floor is spectacular. Like the other reviews stated, it is a walk to the beach and you cannot use the other pools at the resort.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank ShopGirl56
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 1 June 2009

We stayed at the seascape resort in Destin Florida after 5 days in Disneyworld and were ready for some r and r. We had six people in our party and it was a rainy couple of days but well worth the stop. When we arrived the front desk was very friendly and told us about area things to do and the coupons we would have to do some things. We were given rubber bracelets for the pool and told if we lost one it would cost us $15.00 to replace. Very expensive for a rubber bracelet. We were please we didn't have a key card to lose to get into our suite we just needed a combination to remember for our suite and the lobby after hours. When we got to our suite we were pleasantly surprised by how beautiful it was and how great the view of the beach was from our balcony on the 23rd floor. We sat out on the balcony alot. It rained quite a bit while we were there and we only got to the beach a little but the view was well worth it. There were only a couple of issues. One being our children got scared one night when they heard noises outside the room since the walls were a little thin and the amenities were just not there. No kleenex, no paper towels in kitchen. No coffee for coffee maker. No soaps and shampoos or hair dryer in bathroom. You have to take out your own trash when you check out and load dishwasher don't start it. Also make sure you turn in those rubber bracelets. There is a washer and dryer in the suite so no extra towels needed but if you want housekeeping to come there will be an extra fee.
All in all it was a great experience and just a short walk to the beach which is private to seascape resort guests. This is a great plus.
We will definitely reccommend this resort and stay again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank twinmom296
North GA Mountains
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I booked the condo because it appeared nice online for $99.00 a night during spring break. When we arrived, they charged us over $150.00 extra for fees for 2 nights! They give you a bracelet to wear for the pools. If you lose it, then it's $15.00 to replace. Exercise facility were for owners, and you had to have a key or a card. We couldn't use it. The nice pools by the condo were not heated. My husband was kicked out for using pool at the same condo next door that was heated. It's owned by a different homeowner association. Internet was not free. I believe it was about $9.00 a night. Tennis is not free. Of course golf isn't free, but I expected that. Long walk to the beach. There was one small heated pool way on the other side of the property. Too far to walk. Customer service was very rude up front. The only thing nice was the room itself, and it had a great view. We could have used a few more dishes in the room. The main bed was very uncomfortable even though it looked very nice. No folded out sofa. It was just a queen bed with 2 bunk beds. The room was clean. I'm not sure if I want to stay in a condo again after this experience. I would rather pay more money for a nice hotel on the beach. At least maybe I can use all the amenities without getting charged out of the wazoo!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Northgagirl
Georgia
Reviewed 12 April 2009

Be ready for HIDDEN FEES. Mandatory $200 a week for a beach umbrella and discount card. Must pay it even if you don't use it. Discount card is equivalent to what you might find in any local magazine. Useless. If you are in Aerial Dunes II (as opposed to Aerial Dunes I) don't even ask to use their heated pool. You will be chastised by the pool gate guard. It is also a long walk to the beach. Get ready to also pay housekeeping fee and insurance, neither of which will be quoted to you originally.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank PECOS99
Also consider these accommodations in or near Destin
Embassy Suites by Hilton Destin - Miramar Beach
#40 of 55 in Destin
Gulfview Condominiums
Gulfview Condominiums
#47 of 55 in Destin

Been to The Villas at Seascape Resort? Share your experiences!