“Very poor service”

Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village
NORTHPORT
“Very poor service”
Reviewed 12 July 2011

We booked thru Bookit.com......was suppose to have a water view...we had the veiw of a building.....would not move us because they claimed they were book???bull, all you had to do was look at the pool, beach and parking to know they were probable only 45 to 50% they didn't make any effort to accommodate us....even at close to 400 a night...who pays that to stay at a place with no beach and view a building,,,,,if this is the only place left in Destin...I would not waste my money to stay ever again...and do not ever use Bookit.com...what a rip off.

2 Thank JeanNorthport
JamesRoberts40, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, 13 July 2011
Dear J09Jean,

Thank you for submitting your review. I am sorry that you did not like the location of your residence, and when people book through a third party agency we take what is sent to us and book our mutual guest in the unit type that is reserved. I can assure you that every room we have as a view of the water, with some viewing the bay, harbor, east pass and/or the Gulf of Mexico. We never have or ever will lie to a guest and tell them we are booked when we are not. Our number one goal is to make sure that every guest we have is a happy guest. If a guest is unhappy with their location, and it is possible for us to move them, then we will, and I am sorry that you did not get that impression. Just so you know, we have been very close to full capacity sine the beginning of summer, and havent seen occupancy numbers in the 40's and 50's since winter. If you would like to reach me directly please call me at 850.424.0631, or email me at jroberts@legendaryinc.com

JP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 9 July 2011

When you pay this much to stay in a hotel/resort you expect ritz carlron type service. We did not get it. I am very disappointed. I expected better

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank bullgator35
Dear bullgator35,

Thank you for your review. From your review I can see that you were not completely satisfied with our level of service, however I cannot see where we missed that opportunity. Please call me at 850.424.0631 or email me at jroberts@legendaryinc.com so we can discuss what happened in detail.

NW New Jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2011

Wanted to give a more positve review, this is a beautiful place, but there were just too many negatives. It was Fourth of July weekend, so the hotel and Destin were packed! Kudos to Chris, the bellman who helped us with our luggage, groceries, etc. He got us our first bag of ice (no machines in the hotel and our condo ice maker was empty) and gave us excellent directions to the beach shuttle and Harbor Walk so we didn't get lost!
With the holiday, the beach shuttle was a real pain - waited at least an hour more than once, really unacceptable for a "beach resort". At least we didn't have to lug chairs and umbrellas, and there were also beach towels available, although the website still says to bring your own. I missed not being able to walk on the beach at night, my favorite time!
I like to swim laps, which was darn near impossible in the small pools; the indor "pool" is more like a large spa, and the outdoor pool is very shallow; great for youngsters, but not much fun for anyone else.
If internet access is important, be aware that it was dificult to connect at all in the morning, and response time was generally slow, but better later in the day.
Most disappointing was the lack of maid service. Most of the family was still asleep the first morning, so we turned her away, and no one returned. We did get the front desk to send us more towels, but were told quite frankly, that our best bet was to wash and dry our own as the hotel was so busy for the weekend! (Wish I had gotten his name.) The next day, when we still had a pile of wet towels and were running out of supplies at nearly 4 o'clock, we called and got someone to come up to replenish everything, but no cleaning was done, no beds were made up (except by us!) and we had to distribute towels and supplies to the 3 baths ourselves. Not what I had planned to do on vacation, but we made the best of the situation.
I was worried about noise as we had a bar across the parking lot and another (McGuires) right across the street, but I managed to fall asleep right away - guess the fresh air & exercise from walking wore me out! Other family members did complain about the loud music, so beware!
Other positives - the beds were very comfortable; food at the pool level restaurant (inside) was very good and not very pricey and we had a fabulous view of the fireworks.

2 Thank njretiree
Conyers, Georgia
Reviewed 8 July 2011

I'm trying very hard to not give this hotel a bad review because it is by far one of the best looking hotels in Destin but: My experience was not the best for a very expensive vacation and it seems like it will never end. The rooms are gorgeous but what I don't like is the service. For a high quality hotel and a very expensive vacation, you would think the service would be immediate and above par. My latest issue is being overcharged by $500 and not being able to get management to call me back. I never thought I would be in tears from being frustrated but here I am near the point of shaking because my experience won't end. I felt like we were the complaining family because we had to call the front desk so much. First...I was promise a room on the 5th floor or higher with a nice ocean view. I show up and they tell me the manager changed my room to the 2nd floor right in front of the pool. Thankfully, Benji helped us move to a higher level. I give him 5 stars for customer service. Other agents told me the manager said don't move anybody because they were going to be booked up for the upcoming weekend. We were staying for 7 nights and they were willing to say the heck with us because somebody eventually was coming 5 days later. To make matters worse, maid service did not even clean our room. So I called the front desk and ask wasn't that included in my daily rate. They double checked and said "Sorry, you are paying for the service. Nothing we can do about it today but we will make sure it's cleaned tomorrow." How about not charging me for the day you didn't provide service????

Next, our new room television did not work in the living room. We couldn't get wash clothes and when we called they said sorry we ran out. This hotel is too big and expensive to run out of wash clothes. Next, our package included a daily fishing or golfing outing. I was told I would receive a call a week before my trip to schedule. When I was not called, I called the front desk and told them no one had called. They took my info and said they would give to the concierge so they could contact me and schedule my outings. Still no call. So I email them the day I was driving to Destin to let them know no one called me. I have yet to get a reply and of course my trip is now over. When I arrived I went to schedule my daily outing and was met with the rudest concierge that Monday who told me the only thing available was Thursday at 2:30 so take it or leave for the fishing. So I took it and received my comp card to show up at the fishing boat. I was called Wednesday morning to tell me I wasn't booked on the trip. Thankfully, the concierge Robin who had been on vacation was back and she worked very hard to find another fishing trip for us. I told her that it was truly false advertising to say a daily fishing or golfing outing is included in the package when we had a hard time getting just one fishing trip out of seven days. I hoped that would have been all of my bad experiences but not I've been charged an additional $500 and I can't even get management to call me back. Very frustrating.

Would I go back to this hotel? If I ever go back to Destin, yes, because the hotel is nice but the service is not good. I like taking my kids on nice, quality vacations but this experience has made say the heck with ever coming back to Destin. Until I can get the issue resolved with the amount being charged, I can't even truly think about whether I would come back to this hotel or not. I know my co-workers are asking about my experience because they always wondered how nice this hotel is on the inside when they visit Destin. All I can do is share my experience with them and let them decide if they want to stay here or not.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank schampio
JamesRoberts40, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, 9 July 2011
Dear schamio,

Thank you for submitting review. I know that you and I had some trouble connecting with each other with a couple voicmails being left on each other's phones, but I think we had a great chat this morning and we were able to get everything resolved. I am sorry that our housekeeping service did not meet your expectations, and I will pass along your concers to our executive housekeeper. I would also like to apologize for the way you were treated when you called down to notify someone that you had not received your daily maid service as it is customary that our bellman team assists with that if housekeeping is gone, and there is no excuse for you not being offered that. About the fishing - during your stay we did have one of our boats go down with an engine problem so our availabilty was limited, and I am sorry that you experienced that during your stay. We know that our boats are in high demand, especially during summer and snapper season, so we also offer golf to our guests to ensure we always have something to offer our guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to talk to me this morning, and I truly beleive we were able to get everything resolved. We look forward to your return trip, and now that you have all of my contact info, please give me a heads up when you are returning so we can ensure that we have everything set up for you in advance.

Livingston, Tennessee
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Vacationed there with my family at the end of June- beginning of July and it was wonderful. The attention to detail, services, and help provided by the staff from checkin to checkout were great. The resort amenities were the best. The fitness gym and lockerooms were a major plus. Most gyms at resort hotels have just a few machines and treadmills, here they had free weights, dumbells, benches, etc.. like a real gym should. The steam rooms in the seperate clubrooms are a must after a morning of golf and mid-day trip to the gym. Having the wide variety of restaurants right there at Harborwalk Village (practically in the bottom two floors of the Grande) was convienent. I would recommend Ciao Bella which is across the street beside McQuire's. I booked our vacation through Bookit which at the time ran a special that awarded me with a free round of golf at Regatta Bay or free Deep Sea fishing trip DAILY. An unbelievable value that I took full advantage of with 5 rounds of golf in 6 days. I will be vacationing there again.

Room Tip: 4Brm with Ocean view in the East are the best.
Dear TravelinShoes24,

Thank you for taking the time to submit your review. Your kind words are very much appreciated by everyone here. Its always a great thing when we get to read about guests that were able to take adavantage of everything we have to offer. Yes, Ciao Bella is very good, but I hope you went into McGuires too - their food is fantastic. We're glad you had a great time and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 7 July 2011

I was treated to a pedicure by my mother (I am 37 in case you think a kid is writing this) and I was expecting a Good pedicure. This was AMAZING! I felt like I had an actual spa treatment done! I opted for the $80 hot stone pedi and it was worth EVERY penny. The spa automatically adds an additional 20% gratuity (so for the budget conscience keep that in mind) but the woman that did the pedicure was so fantastic I gave her $20 instead of $16. Ask for ASHLEY. amazing, amazing, amazing! You won't be disappointed!!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Jodig77
Fayetteville, Georgia
Reviewed 6 July 2011

We were so looking forward to the stay at the Emerald Grande, then we arrived and things were not so great to say the least! Our first impression of the room was the smell as we entered, that was quickly replaced by the loud noise coming from the closet that turned out to be a dehumidifier that was as loud as a chainsaw! We also were told that our room would have a King bed in one room and a Queen in the other, we quickly discovered that the second bedroom had a double and when we called down to the front desk to question it ,we were told sorry that's all we have (by a intern that needs to find another line of work as he is definetly not suited for the hospitality industry). I asked to speak to his boss and this is the only time I felt like our business mattered throughout the stay, the Mgr JP came to my room and dealt with the issues by having us moved to another room that was as promised initally. I truly feel as though that JP showed a genuine concern for our issues and is to be commended for his efforts! We visit the Gulf 6 to 7 times a year and have been thinking of purchasing a unit in the area, I liked the idea of fractional ownership but after the stay here I have to question wether or not I would invest the money in this property, on the outside it is a beatiful resort but after the level of no customer service from the majority of the staff I would advise the Mgmt group to explain to the employees how easy it is to do your job when dealing with customers and not to make them feel as though they are a bother, the exception to this would be the girls at the pool side bar and restaraunt, they were always great and the food was exceptional, it is kinda pricey but the kids eat free with the purchase of a adult entree! One other thing that I was not very happy with is a rule that you can not bring a cooler to the pool! I excpect that from a Hotel but this is supposed to be a condominium, overall I would not reccomend this resort to anyone, maybe I just hit a week where there good employees were all off!!! No beach access at night really was a bummer!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank chitwood72
JamesRoberts40, Manager at Emerald Grande at HarborWalk Village, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
Dear Chitwood72,

Thank you for submitting your review. I know that you and I spoke a few times during your stay, and that we were able to the residence situation sorted out quickly - my apologies for it not being correct the first time around. Our level of customer service has always been something that we pride ourselves on, and I am sorry that you experience something that didnt meet your (or our) expectations. As far as the pool rule about coolers - the pool deck is an actual licensed liquor establishment, so outside beverages are not permitted inside (just like any bar), so that is something that we cannot be flexible about or we risk losing our license. Like I tell everyone, if you would like to give me a call and talk further please do so at 850.424.0631 or jroberts@legendaryinc.com.