“What a great all around experience.”
Review of Henderson Park Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Destin
Henderson Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Destin
“What a great all around experience.”
Reviewed 30 September 2012 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay from beginning to end and are already planning our next visit. Room was beautiful, staff was wonderful and everyone went above and beyond to please. We looked forward to happy hour at the Tiki hut every day. What a wonderful breakfast buffet.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Dallas, TX
Reviewed 29 September 2012

...and I mean that in the most positive way possible. The prices on the rooms are higher than most in the area,but they give you so much. If you stayed at a cheaper hotel and had to buy breakfast, snack, and lunch, you'd end up spending the same amount anyway. But it goes so much further than that. I have never felt more at home on a vacation than I did on this one. The style of the Inn feels like a home instead of a hotel. The employees make you feel like you're a friend who has come to stay with them for a little while. They want to make sure you have everything you need for a comfortable visit, and they'll carry on a friendly conversation as if they're truly interested in your life. I loved the smell throughout the place. I never asked what it was, but I think it was juniper.
I would suggest getting some new beach chairs. There is a broken one that falls apart if you don't sit in it just right. Also, we were in room 207, and there seemed to be some sort of generator or something behind the wall which made a helicopter noise throughout the day and night. It didn't bother me, but my husband is a light sleeper so if you get that room, just have a sound machine or something to block it out.

3 Thank PMann
Colorado
Reviewed 26 September 2012

We agree with the many positive comments of the overwhelmingly glowing reviews fro this wonderful B&B ... and find some of the negative comments perplexing, at least based upon our four day stay.

Bottom line, this is truly a unique place. We have been visiting the Gulf Coast two to three times a year for our entire lives, and we have never experienced a locale like the Henderson Park Inn. In fact, you can check it out the beach and grounds on the Inn's live webcam on its website.

Our luxurious and plush rooms, the superb food, the over-the-top service, the laid-back relaxed atmosphere ... even given all we had read on Trip Advisor, the Inn still exceeded our expectations.

We just returned from a long weekend at this fabulous inn! I read all the reviews before we booked our room and I must say they are spot on. This inn is a true gem. It is a bit pricey but worth every penny. A the location next to and overlooking Henderson Park is truly wonderful. We enjoyed many walks on this nearly deserted state park beach ... and we were there in August!

Room: Despite so many reviewers recommending second floor rooms with a balcony, a staff member (? Tammie) talked us into staying on a first floor in the east building. We're so glad she did! The view of the beach and gulf from our balcony was amazing. The waves crashed on the beach only 50 yards or so from our balcony. In fact, we were able to open the french doors onto the nice-sized private balcony and listen to the waves. We used the balcony for evening wine and cheese and long talks.

Our room, two doors from the Presidential Suite was large and elegant (we stayed in Room 110, but Room 109 or Room 111 would have also been fine ... with Room 111 being at the end of the building). Despite being on the first floor, the insulation was fabulous. We did not hear our side neighbors or any noise from above. Our room's foyer did have a bit of a moldly smell, but not the room. The bathroom was large (soaking tub/shower combo). The towels huge and plush.

The furniture and art work were very nice. The king-size bed was very comfortable and pristinely clean (I always check mattresses). We had no problems with the TV or stereo (even though we almost never turned the TV on). Feel free to bring your own books, DVDs, or CDs or pick up some on the shelves near the lobby). The wi-fi was a bit slow from our room but not a huge issue.

We liked the Mr. Coffee in the room and enjoyed making a pot each morning. Okay, a coffee maker that makes individual cups would not be a bad addition. And, it was less than 50 yards to the main building and the complimentary hot chocolate/coffee/latte/cappuccino machine. The wine, cheese, and chocolates we received on arrival were very nice, and the evening chocolate truffles were delicious.

Food: We ate breakfast and lunch at the inn every day. Frankly, there's no reason not too. Chef Greg (a Baton Rouge and LSU man) was amazing. Your breakfast is cooked to your order and can be served in as many courses as you want. Sit inside overlooking the beach and adjoining State Park or sit on the outside balcony and enjoy the sounds of the ocean and a gentle breeze. The Grits Grillades (pronounced GREE-yahds) were delicious (as good as anywhere in New Orleans) and Chef Greg even gave a class on how to prepare them one day. Nearly everyone in the Inn came.

Grits have never really caught on with most folks from up north. I don't understand this because a lot of northern folks go crazy over Polenta, which is basically a yellow version of Grits. I personally think it's all about the name; Polenta flows from the tongue and sounds upper class, while the word Grits comes from your mouth like a shotgun blast and sounds a bit rural. Well, not in Chef Greg's hands (his grits are made with half-and-half and real butter ... loosen your belt and take an extra statin!)

The boxed lunches (from the Honeybaked Ham Store) were a nice touch with a large number of choices, and we enjoyed being able to eat anywhere we liked -- even on the beach.

We had dinner at the beachwalk cafe one night during our stay and it was the best dinner we had our entire trip and that is saying something! Even though the restaurant was very busy, our table was prepared and ready. No wait at all! The view of the sunset from the restaurant deck during dinner was a special gift to us from heaven.

There are also lots of nearby excellent restaurants (but none better). Nevertheless, the staff is happy to make great recommendations and reservations.

The daily happy hour was also very enjoyable, including the delicious hors d'oeuvre served right to where you were seated on the Inn's spacious deck (but, as others have observed, it lasts exactly and only one hour).

Staff: Very friendly, outgoing, and helpful. We had NO issues during our stay, but if we had, I have no doubt they would have resolved them very quickly.

Of interest, when we talked to staff about some of the negative comments on Trip Advisor, some of which we wondered were planted by jealous competitors, the staff seemed truly hurt by them ... to the point of taking them to heart. In fact, they had reasonable explanations for nearly all. For example, one staff member told me, "I told the client when she called to book that the room she wanted was our smallest and most cramped room by far. She still insisted on booking it. When she checked in, she complained bitterly and I instantly moved her to another room (luckily one was available). She said she was happy, but still filed a terrible review." Hmm!?!?

I encouraged the manager to file responses on Trip Advisor to unfair and unreasonable complaints ... certainly to explain them to those of us who carefully study Trip Advisor before booking a place to stay. I've enjoyed reading those responses in other reviews. To me it helps keep the reviews "fair and balanced."

Beach: Quiet and peaceful. Sugar sand. Beautiful water colors. Dolphins frolicking off shore each day. The beach chairs and umbrellas were set up every morning and there seemed to be plenty for every guest -- no need to make a reservation (which you can't do anyway).

Since our room was only steps from the beach, we stayed on the beach under our umbrella most of each day ... coming up to the Inn for occasional snacks (drinks [water, soft drinks, coffee, lattes] or candy bars are complimentary), to pick up our lunch boxes, or to take an afternoon bike ride down the quiet beach street (the Inn provides the bikes for you) followed by an afternoon nap in our room. The staff was happy to refresh our room twice a day.

We were sad to leave but are already planning our next trip back! We loved this place and everything about it.

Room Tip: Our room, in the east building was beach side and two doors from the Presidential Suite. It was larg...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ColoradoDoc
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Ok...I have to agree with the great reviews! Wonderfu service....great breakfast..breathtaking views. I loved the little things...chocolates on the pillow....hug berries at breakfast...the fact the breakfast hostess overheard us talking about waffles and she offered to get them for us! The happy hour was another favorite. We met some wonderful couples our first night and we ended up going to dinner with them each night! 2 of the couples had met last year at the inn and made arrangements to meet back this year. I can really see why the inn gets so many repeat customers! My husband left his work computer in the room and didn't realize it until we were 6 hours away! ( really how can you do that!). I called the hotel and they had it and shipped it home for us. They had already called our house to inform us they had it in fact.
If you are looking for a low key vacation with above and beyond service...this is the place to go!

1 Thank lilmo
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 25 September 2012

My husband and I recently dined at the Beach Walk Cafe, after reading excellent reviews. We dined on the deck outside and were told we had the best table to watch the sunset. The view was really amazing. We had a 6:00 reservation which was perfect timing to also see the sunset. The service was good but our waitress commented several times how a dish was "to die for" when going over the menu. All of the dishes can't be "to die for". I ordered the twin lobster tails and my husband ordered the filet, medium rare. My dish came out fine but my huband's steak came out well done. We aren't sure if the kitchen messed up or if the waitress turned the order in wrong. It was awkward to sit there and start eating while my husband didn't have any food in front of him. Otherwise, it was a great experience. I got a rose at the end of the meal which was a nice unexpected touch. Would recommened for a romantic evening out.

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jenny Y
Hayward, California
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Stayed at Henderson Park Inn for a 3-day stay and we loved every minute of it. Honeymoon suite had lots of luxury amenities and very nice decor....and a nice big tv! Then we tried out the CornerSuite and in my opinion the only stand-out thing about this room was the ocean-front view. Outstanding service from all the staff...and I mean EVERYONE we encountered on that property was genuinely friendly and helpful. The beach had complimentary beach chairs and umbrellas enough for all the guests. Very romantic place for couples!!!! Property has a nice old charm ambience to it. We would definitely go back in the future and I hope we do!!

1 Thank Elaine B
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My husband and I chose Henderson Park Inn to celebrate our anniversary this past weekend. It was a wonderful experience. From the very friendly front desk personel to the chefs to the servers, everyone was intent on providing us an outstanding stay. The inn is situated next to Henderson State Park so there are no high rise condos close by. There are sand dunes and sea oats to one side and a small condo complex on the other. It is an adult only resort. Breakfast and lunch are included, and you don't want to miss the fabulous cuisine at Beachwalk, the on-site restaurant. The only negative I have is that the bathroom needs updating to match the rest of the inn. Overall, it was one of the best weekend vacations we have had. We will return and recommend it to our friends.

Room Tip: I would recommend the first or second floor of the west building.
1 Thank bamatravelers08