“Beautiful Location, but Outdated and Overpriced”
Review of Henderson Park Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Destin
Henderson Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Houston, Texas
“Beautiful Location, but Outdated and Overpriced”
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We just returned from our stay at Henderson Park Inn and it was a mixed bag. We booked our stay for our honeymoon stay. We got married on 05/21/2013 and checked into the mini suite on 05/20/2013 and then were to move to the executive suite 05/21-5/24. The hotel location itself is stunning. One a dead end street by Henderson State Park it is quiet and peaceful. We had no issues checking in on 05/20, but had some delays the next day moving into the executive suite. Since we would be changing rooms the next day we left everything packed and were told the room would be ready by 1 pm since they had guests in the room now and would have to clean the room. We were getting married that evening and were hoping to be settled in the room by early afternoon and be able to take a nap and prepare for the wedding that evening. I had a makeup artist coming at 3:30 pm to do my hair and makeup so we had a small window to relax. We were waiting in our other room and noticed it was almost 2 pm and no news on if our room was done. I called the front desk and they said the room was just finished and we could move into it. We chose to move our stuff down to the room ourselves and we enter the room and right away realize the air conditioning is not working. 80 degrees in the room even though setting was on 68. My husband goes down to the front desk to let them know we have a problem and how ironic that someone was there to fix it already. After talking to the front desk it seems they knew the ac in the room was not working yet never let us know and just kept us in the dark. We were up in other room waiting and waiting thinking we were being impatient when in reality they were failing to communicate with us. I was starting to panic as I was worried of not having the room cool for my hair and makeup. They offered to let us wait in the room we were originally in but we had already moved all our stuff downstairs. I said if we moved back to that room we wanted to just stay there the rest of our stay and just get settled. She said we could only stay one more night as the room was booked. We decided to see how the ac issue played out before pushing the issue further. Luckily the ac only needed coolant and the room began to cool, but it took them until almost 3 pm to correct it. If they knew the a was having issues they could have told us and offered to let us stay another night in the mini suite and move into the executive suite the following day. That is what bothered us the most . . . the fact that they kept us in the dark. Knowing we were getting married that day as well as when we booked the room.

After we got that fixed, everything was okay. The price you pay for the room is overpriced considering how outdated everything is, but you get a lot included with your stay. The breakfast was delicious and the boxed lunches were great. Enjoyed the coffee machine and fridge with water, sodas, and candy bars. Staff was friendly and we had a great dinner at the restaurant our last night there.

We stayed in room 205 and unfortunately it is right along the stairs so you heard when people went up and down the stairs. Again, we enjoyed our stay but it was not worth the price and this place definitely needs to be updated. Our bed was hard as a rock! We stayed at the Beachside Inn Sunday night and the bed we slept on in the too there was much more comfortable. I also got splinters from the old beach chairs. Not sure we would stay again. Beautiful location, but needs updates.

Room Tip: We loved room 302 even though it was small and only had a coastline view and not a beach view. It wa...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Reviewed 15 May 2013

May 11-15 2013
From the moment you step through the front door to the moment you check out, everything is handled first class. The amazing breakfast, the incredible views, the impeccable hospitality makes this a one of a kind.

I can not say enough good things about Henderson Park. The rooms were very clean and neatly appointed. Between the complimentary breakfast, boxed lunches, soft drinks, candy bars and happy hour, I would recommend everyone to make this their first consideration for adult only lodging.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new bldg room 110. It was awesome.
3 Thank Webb92
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The five star reviews on this property are dead on. On a quiet street adjoining he park, no kids, no noise. Prefect for a weekend getaway. Facilities charming; beach quiet and relaxing, the finest sand I have ever seen. On top of that, staff that compare to none! They anticipate your every need and provide a delicious full breakfast, box lunch, cookies and lemonade and happy hour...included in the room rate. And to top it all off, a fabulous restaurant. Could be the best of its kind in Florida. Had a wonderful weekend and planning to return.

1 Thank readytogoanytime
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 May 2013

All the excellent reviews you read about this place are true!!!! We visited the restaurant for the first time last September while on a camping trip at Henderson State Park which is right next door. We loved dining on the deck by candlelight close to the water. The level of service we encountered was amazing from the Hostess who suggested we come earlier so as not to miss the sunset to our wonderful server who timed our food courses around a stroll on the beach. I did some research and although it was pricey, I decided to splurge and make reservations for my husbands birthday this May. I am soooooo glad I did.

We arrived on the first Friday in May and yep I was pretty shocked to learn after 7+ hours on the road we were a day early. The Executive Suite I had reserved wasn't available and we were put in the Corner Suite. The balcony in this room faces a little to the west and looks out over Henderson State Park. A few high rises are visible in the distance, but they are over a mile away so it's very private and almost feels like being in a lighthouse. It rained the first night and we slept with the balcony doors open and the fireplace going. Romantic!!

Saturday we moved to the Executive Suite I had reserved. Since I made the reservations last year, I have kept up with reviews about the hotel in various places and I was getting a little worried. So many called the hotel overpriced, tacky, rundown, dirty etc..... Huh?? These people must have stayed somewhere else or they are the type of person who is never satisfied. It was none of those things. Rooms and bathrooms were spotless, towels were continuously being replaced, staff not only was always happy to help, they seemed excited to be able to do something for you. Being in the customer service industry, we have very high expectations in this area and the staff at Henderson Park Inn blew us away.

The first two nights, we had dinner on our balcony but when we did venture down to the restaurant, we were blessed to be served by Amber. She was so cheerful, professional, and excited about the menu and specials. She was such a joy to spend time with. While at dinner, the staff left my husband a piece of birthday cake in our room and the breakfast crew surprised him again the next day. It was the best vacation we have ever had. I will be making reservations latter this week for another trip in September. Thanks everyone for making us feel pampered.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the main building. I am told they are a little smaller, but the Executive suit...
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We discovered Henderson Park Inn while planning our 4th trip to Destin. I wish we had discovered it sooner. We will definitely plan to stay here going forward. The property was beautiful, relaxing, and perfect for our vacation away from noise, crowds and kids. The breakfast provided is delicious, the boxed lunches from Honey Baked Ham are yummy, and the Beach Walk dinner and dessert were the best!! We stayed in an executive King room on the first floor. Next time we'll request a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor so we can enjoy a private balcony. Even so, I would not discourage anyone from staying on the 1st floor. You get the best direct beach access on the 1st floor. :-) The only issues we had were that the temperature was too cold and the winds were heavy but that's not the Inn's fault...can't control Mother Nature! I definitely recommed this place!!!

atlanta
Reviewed 8 May 2013

My husband and I absolutely LOVE this place. It's a New England B&B in Destin! No tacky sea shells in this decor...but very nicely appointed rooms! No one under 25 (so this isn't a place where you would go with kids) which means you can actually relax under/in the Inn provided umbrellas/beach chairs. The breakfast is wonderful and the staff that does the breakfast is so friendly & accommodating! It's a nice touch that they provide boxed lunches (you choose your order prior) along with freshly baked cookies, and tea/lemonade...so you can just run up from the beach, grab your lunch and head back down without having to run to a restaurant! Happy Hour is awesome too - no cheap liquors, quality everything. So all in all, I would highly recommend this Inn. :)

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank redatl
Reviewed 7 May 2013

Who would have thought this gem was tucked away amidst Destin! We actually stumbled upon the website after having to cancel a cruise two weeks before. It did not disappoint--everything people had said was exactly as we found it. After a long day of travel we were greeted by extremely friendly staff members who were more than happy to help answer our questions. When we opened our door we were greeted by a softly lit room with relaxing music playing. On the bed was a tray with wine glasses, a bottle of wine, a single rose in a vase, grapes and chocolates. The beatiful views of the gulf were breathtaking! The morning breakfasts were so relaxing and delicious. Again the staff attend to your every need. The boxed lunches are great especially when spending the day on the beach. My husband went to the front desk to get us reservations for dinner on our last night. He said they only had 6 pm. I said that was fine. When we spoke with the hostess she said our table was not ready yet and that our server, Dustin would like to take us on a little "tour"! Not sure what I was in for, he walked us out on the deck and then turned and gestured toward the beach and said "your table awaits"! There on the beach was a lone table spectacularly set with lit tiki torches surrounding it. A hand carved path sprinkled with rose petals led our path to our private dining table. Our chairs were facing an unbelievable sunset and a few hours later were turned to view the gorgeous full moon! Dolphins frolicked along the coast line. Dustin was the perfect server. He was so kind and thoughtful. His professionalism and the pride he has in his work was refreshing. The food we were graced with was fantastic!! Every course was culinary genius!! We have never experienced anything like this "Toes in the Sand" extravaganza--an unimaginable birthday surprise! Thank you all for your great service and a vacation we will cherish for many years to come!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple