“Waiting to come back next year” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Henderson Park Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Destin
Henderson Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Houston, Texas
“Waiting to come back next year”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

We found Henderson Park Inn on Tripadvisors and were most pleased with the accomodations. We arrived on 5/13/13 were greeted promptly, checked in, and given a brief tour. We then went to happy hour and had dinner at Walk in the Park. A very delightful experience. Our room, 109, in the newer building was quiet, modern, and had wine, fruit, and water along with a gorgeous beach view waiting for us. The next day we had a choose whatever you want breakfast and lunch sandwiches along with the daily happy hour which was always fun. The bartender works so hard since there is a crowd of 20-30 people there and it is only an hour. Beach chairs and an umbrella always seem to be available. We are from Houston and will probably drive here next year and stop in New Orleans on the way.
As for some of the recent negative comments, the hotel is not cheap despite all the free amentities. There is also an 18+% tax on top. The most curious is the variable resort fee of 5.3%. Since I was in one of the more expensive rooms should I expect/receive better service than someone in the lower priced mini-suite. Since everyone was really nice to me and knew my name, maybe I did. Most resort fees that I have seen are flat fees and I think this one should be also. They also have a LDW fee, like rental cars, to prepay for damage to the room. I have never seen that before. I cannot comment about other room quality but ours was in excellent shape with no problems. I also like the Tommy Bahama toiletries.

Room Tip: The rooms in on the first 2 floors of the newer building have great balconies
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Fabulous place , great gulf front balcony room , beautiful beach , attentive staff , very good package value , friendly guests , superior dining option "Beach Walk " on site.

A must stay , we will return.

Room Tip: Gulf front with balcony is a must
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Grayson, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We checked in on May 13, 2013. Other guests who checked in before and after us were given a tour of the amenities on the first floor of the main building. We weren't. The front desk attendant just pointed in the direction of where things were located. We were not even told or shown where the bicycles were located. The upholstery in the room was quite dusty. My husband had difficulty breathing when he sat in the upholstered chairs. The carpet had several stains and seems quite dated. The bathroom sink drainage was very sluggish. It appeared that our bathtub was not cleaned daily. Our first "happy hour" was quite humiliating because other guests received better service than we did. I can't explain why....
Considering the cost for accommodations, we were a little disappointed. We would have to give it a lot of thought about staying there again.

Not everything about our stay was negative. We loved the location and the peaceful atmosphere. Chef Greg was very friendly and made the best omelettes. Natalie was also very friendly and quite charming.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer building are nicer and larger. The second floor suites have a better view an...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Y C
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We just returned from our stay at Henderson Park Inn and it was a mixed bag. We booked our stay for our honeymoon stay. We got married on 05/21/2013 and checked into the mini suite on 05/20/2013 and then were to move to the executive suite 05/21-5/24. The hotel location itself is stunning. One a dead end street by Henderson State Park it is quiet and peaceful. We had no issues checking in on 05/20, but had some delays the next day moving into the executive suite. Since we would be changing rooms the next day we left everything packed and were told the room would be ready by 1 pm since they had guests in the room now and would have to clean the room. We were getting married that evening and were hoping to be settled in the room by early afternoon and be able to take a nap and prepare for the wedding that evening. I had a makeup artist coming at 3:30 pm to do my hair and makeup so we had a small window to relax. We were waiting in our other room and noticed it was almost 2 pm and no news on if our room was done. I called the front desk and they said the room was just finished and we could move into it. We chose to move our stuff down to the room ourselves and we enter the room and right away realize the air conditioning is not working. 80 degrees in the room even though setting was on 68. My husband goes down to the front desk to let them know we have a problem and how ironic that someone was there to fix it already. After talking to the front desk it seems they knew the ac in the room was not working yet never let us know and just kept us in the dark. We were up in other room waiting and waiting thinking we were being impatient when in reality they were failing to communicate with us. I was starting to panic as I was worried of not having the room cool for my hair and makeup. They offered to let us wait in the room we were originally in but we had already moved all our stuff downstairs. I said if we moved back to that room we wanted to just stay there the rest of our stay and just get settled. She said we could only stay one more night as the room was booked. We decided to see how the ac issue played out before pushing the issue further. Luckily the ac only needed coolant and the room began to cool, but it took them until almost 3 pm to correct it. If they knew the a was having issues they could have told us and offered to let us stay another night in the mini suite and move into the executive suite the following day. That is what bothered us the most . . . the fact that they kept us in the dark. Knowing we were getting married that day as well as when we booked the room.

After we got that fixed, everything was okay. The price you pay for the room is overpriced considering how outdated everything is, but you get a lot included with your stay. The breakfast was delicious and the boxed lunches were great. Enjoyed the coffee machine and fridge with water, sodas, and candy bars. Staff was friendly and we had a great dinner at the restaurant our last night there.

We stayed in room 205 and unfortunately it is right along the stairs so you heard when people went up and down the stairs. Again, we enjoyed our stay but it was not worth the price and this place definitely needs to be updated. Our bed was hard as a rock! We stayed at the Beachside Inn Sunday night and the bed we slept on in the too there was much more comfortable. I also got splinters from the old beach chairs. Not sure we would stay again. Beautiful location, but needs updates.

Room Tip: We loved room 302 even though it was small and only had a coastline view and not a beach view. It wa...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

May 11-15 2013
From the moment you step through the front door to the moment you check out, everything is handled first class. The amazing breakfast, the incredible views, the impeccable hospitality makes this a one of a kind.

I can not say enough good things about Henderson Park. The rooms were very clean and neatly appointed. Between the complimentary breakfast, boxed lunches, soft drinks, candy bars and happy hour, I would recommend everyone to make this their first consideration for adult only lodging.

Room Tip: We stayed in the new bldg room 110. It was awesome.
3 Thank Webb92
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2013

The five star reviews on this property are dead on. On a quiet street adjoining he park, no kids, no noise. Prefect for a weekend getaway. Facilities charming; beach quiet and relaxing, the finest sand I have ever seen. On top of that, staff that compare to none! They anticipate your every need and provide a delicious full breakfast, box lunch, cookies and lemonade and happy hour...included in the room rate. And to top it all off, a fabulous restaurant. Could be the best of its kind in Florida. Had a wonderful weekend and planning to return.

1 Thank readytogoanytime
Lafayette, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

All the excellent reviews you read about this place are true!!!! We visited the restaurant for the first time last September while on a camping trip at Henderson State Park which is right next door. We loved dining on the deck by candlelight close to the water. The level of service we encountered was amazing from the Hostess who suggested we come earlier so as not to miss the sunset to our wonderful server who timed our food courses around a stroll on the beach. I did some research and although it was pricey, I decided to splurge and make reservations for my husbands birthday this May. I am soooooo glad I did.

We arrived on the first Friday in May and yep I was pretty shocked to learn after 7+ hours on the road we were a day early. The Executive Suite I had reserved wasn't available and we were put in the Corner Suite. The balcony in this room faces a little to the west and looks out over Henderson State Park. A few high rises are visible in the distance, but they are over a mile away so it's very private and almost feels like being in a lighthouse. It rained the first night and we slept with the balcony doors open and the fireplace going. Romantic!!

Saturday we moved to the Executive Suite I had reserved. Since I made the reservations last year, I have kept up with reviews about the hotel in various places and I was getting a little worried. So many called the hotel overpriced, tacky, rundown, dirty etc..... Huh?? These people must have stayed somewhere else or they are the type of person who is never satisfied. It was none of those things. Rooms and bathrooms were spotless, towels were continuously being replaced, staff not only was always happy to help, they seemed excited to be able to do something for you. Being in the customer service industry, we have very high expectations in this area and the staff at Henderson Park Inn blew us away.

The first two nights, we had dinner on our balcony but when we did venture down to the restaurant, we were blessed to be served by Amber. She was so cheerful, professional, and excited about the menu and specials. She was such a joy to spend time with. While at dinner, the staff left my husband a piece of birthday cake in our room and the breakfast crew surprised him again the next day. It was the best vacation we have ever had. I will be making reservations latter this week for another trip in September. Thanks everyone for making us feel pampered.

Room Tip: I prefer the rooms in the main building. I am told they are a little smaller, but the Executive suit...