“A great place to celebrate an anniversary”
Review of Henderson Park Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Destin
Henderson Park Inn
Ranked #1 of 38 Hotels in Destin
Reviewed 25 August 2009

We visited the Henderson Park Inn for our 20th anniversary. It was our second visit; the first was for our 10th anniversary. The Inn has changed owners in those ten years, but was essentially as we remembered it. We spent 3 nights and had a great time sampling the breakfast, box lunches, happy hour offerings and the accommodations.

We had a second floor room in the main building. I was concerned when we checked in because our room was directly over the bar on the deck. However, my apprehension was relieved when I saw that they did not stay open late in the evening and even when they were open, the noise was barely noticeable, even when our balcony doors were open. Our room was a good size, though the bathroom was not over sized. The furnishings were nice and the room was clean. The grapes, chocolates, and wine were very nice. During our stay, we took advantage of the towel service, the beach chairs and umbrella, the fridge stocked with candy and sodas, and I enjoyed a drink every night at happy hour. They offered complimentary beer, wine and frozen margaritas! The breakfast did not vary from day to day, but there was enough variety for us to have something different, if we wanted, each morning. You could have a made to order omelet, waffles, scrambled eggs, cheese grits, cereal, pastries, fruit, yogurt, and more. Juice, milk and coffee were served also. We had a choice of around 6 different boxed lunches from The Honeybaked Ham store and the Inn had iced tea and apples. Each day from noon to 2 PM they set out cookies and lemonade. We did not eat at the restaurant on site, but we enjoyed watching couples eat at special tables on the beach on two of the nights we were there.
There are always picky folks who have to find something wrong with any facility. This section is for you. The one thing I missed was a pool. 10 years ago the Inn offered a pool with a deck around it, on the beach side. Hurricane Ivan obviously filled in the pool a few years back and when the Inn finally reopened, it opened without a pool. The new owners opted to build a full deck over the pool. I love the beach and don’t have to have a pool, but that’s not the case for some folks. The last morning we were there, the kitchen staff failed to show up for work. We came down to breakfast a 7:45 AM (it starts at 7 AM) and found eggs, leftover biscuits and pastries, juice, coffee and cereal. No waffles, which I really wanted, no omelets, no fruit, no yogurt, and a couple of harried staff members struggling to get things going and set up. We opted, since it was check-out day for us, to eat what was offered without waiting ,so I could get to the beach.
All of the staff members with whom we interacted were very nice. We enjoyed the bicycles we could use for free. We took full advantage of the snacks and the cookies. The bed was comfortable and our room was quiet. And you cannot find fault with all day coffee and sodas and an hour where you can get a strawberry frozen margarita for no extra charge. I sincerely hope we can spend our 30th anniversary at The Henderson Park Inn.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MKKBirmingham

Reviewed 22 August 2009

The B&B exceeded my expectations. The room and service were amazing, the food and location are excellent and I keep wishing I was still there. We were there during Tropical Storm Claudette and still had a fantastic time. Breakfast was a choice of made to order omlet, waffles or pancakes (my favorite) and they also had bacon, sausage, cheese grits, cereal, fruits and bread. Lunch was sandwich boxes from Honey Baked Ham with cookies and lemonade. Happy Hour at the tiki bar. And dinner on your own at either the hotel or out. Because Henderson State Park is next door, you could walk almost 1 1/2 miles each way without hardly seeing anyone on the beach. It's also very quiet and relaxing since children are not allowed. I did A LOT of research before choosing the Inn. By the time I paid for food, "beach chair setup" and resort fees at other hotels or carried all my gear from beach houses "close to the beach", this was a much better deal and it was worth every penny. I will definitely be back!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2009

I recently suprised my wife for our anniversary by booking a night at the inn. When we entered the honeymoon suite, the only thing she said for the first five minutes was "wow!" The classy furnishings, the complimentary chocolates, wine and flowers, and the two person jacuzzi made it perfect for a romantic get away. Breakfast was awesome with choices from cereal and pasteries to eggs, sausage, and bacon for those who like a heartier meal. While it was an expensive trip, any trip to Destin, FL, will cost alot and I thought it was definitely worth it to book this inn. I would do it again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mathgeek80
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Everything about my stay at the Henderson Park Inn was top notch. The room, the view, the proximity to the beach, the service, the meals and the many extras make this an exceptional place to stay in the Destin area.

The Inn is adjacent to Henderson Park on a dead-end road. So, it is extremely quiet yet it is just a short distance from many, many shops and restaurants.

I agree that it is rather pricey especially for a person traveling alone since there is no discount on the meals for singles. But, it is attractive in so many ways that I have stayed there two years in a row and hope to return again next year.
Sue from AR

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 June 2009

I've attempted to stay here for 10 years! Really! Every time I called or e-mailed, they've had "no rooms at the Inn." (The Inn doesn't have an "online booking" system.) Well, we finally got in at the Inn, and it was remarkable!

We reserved an Executive Suite and it was exquisite. We arrived early and was hoping for an early check-in. Didn't happen. I was about to get irritated when I realized that the reason they didn't check us in early was probably not for a lack of wanting to. The Inn is so busy and so booked, it just wasn't feasible.

Our room overlooked the beach on the first floor (I believe almost all the rooms have a private balcony/porch overlooking the beach) and it was, indeed, right on the beach. The decor and quality of the room appointments were spectacular. Only minor disappointment was the tub and sink surfaces. Kind of expected marble or something instead of cast-formed plastic.

Everything, except dinner, is included with your room rate, so it makes the rather expensive rates more reasonable. Breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon happy hour are included. And there is a common refrigerator that has drinks and candy bars. Upon arrival, the room comes with a bottle of wine, fresh fruit, and delicious chocolates. The beach chairs, umbrella, and towels are also "no extra charge." The Inn is a welcome relief from those alleged "high-end" properties that nickel and dime you for every little, extra thing!

Keep in mind that breakfast and lunch buffets are "included" as long as you are checked in. In our case, since we arrived early, we had to pay for the lunch. No big deal - it's only $12 per person. Only minor irritation was that lunch that "starts at noon" really started at about 12:30. Other than taking some time from our precious "sand time," it's the only minor complaint I have about this property.

This property is free of the ugly high-rise Florida blight. Seems as the property belongs more in Nantucket rather than the Florida panhandle. In fact, west of the Inn is a mile stretch of undeveloped land (a State Park, I believe) and to the east, some mid-rises. The high-rises are safely off in the distance. A welcome relief to internet bookers who rely on websites only to get to the property to find that there is something big and ugly close by. Not a problem at the Henderson Park Inn.

Eating out: you'll need a car or a taxi. We walked for about a mile down the beach. Nothing. Of course, breakfast and lunch is included. But dinner, unless you want to eat at the Inn's restaurant (a very good decision), means a drive inland or - apparently - further down the beach. The dinner we had at the Inn was exceptional. The atmosphere with the sun setting in the west: incredible! Expensive, but worth it. Make reservations. We snuck in, but as with the accommodations, this is a high-demand restaurant.

So, really, you can stay at Henderson Park and never have a need to leave the property! I like that, given that we didn't have a car. We arrived by private aircraft at Destin-Fort Walton (KDTS) and took the short "Town Car" ride to the Inn. For the other private pilots considering a weekend getaway from the Atlanta area, this one is at the top of my list. Perfect in every way and the most convenient for the airport-hotel trip. And the folks at Avitat got us out of our plane into the awaiting car on the runway so fast and efficiently, I had to call them back and ask them to check if I had turned the master switch off!

Back to the Inn: Only one concern for travelers regarding the room. The bed in our room was very soft. Normally, I prefer "firm." Now, after a day of surf and sun, sleeping wasn't a problem, but the bed was very "non-firm."

In conclusion, I think my wife and I have found "our place" for romantic, relaxing getaways (possibly longer stays). My wife and I weren't looking to "recharge our marriage," but the ambiance and setting were so conducive, well, that's what happened. If we can only get a reservation in the future! Also, the Inn provides the convenient excuse - when our teenagers ask "why don't you take us there?" - we are able to reply "Sorry, it's adults only!"

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pramstroker
Reviewed 19 May 2009

I just got back from staying here May 13-17 and cannot say enough good things. The atmosphere is what really makes this place unique. It is so quiet and peaceful with a nice clientele. The location is superb - both the beach front and at the dead end of the street - AND next to a state park. It is the perfect place to relax and unwind, enjoy the fantastic view and treat yourself to some good food and drink. What lovely staff they have - thank you Tammee for all of your help and friendliness.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank S00zK
Reviewed 14 May 2009

My Wife and I just returned from our stay at the Henderson Park Inn in Destin Florida. I can't say enough about this place to make you realize how truely wonderfull it really is. When you arrive you are givin a tour of the entire place, told about all the comps you recieve as a guest, and then given your room keys. When you open the door to your room, you hear soft music playing and a bottle of wine, grapes, and chocolates on the bed. You then open your balcony door to hear the soft crash of the waves rolling on to the beautiful white sand beaches. My wife and I slept with the door cracked every night to hear the waves. In the morning you are treated to an outstanding selection of breakfast foods in their world class "Beach Walk" restaurant. You are almost treated to complimentary lunch in the same restaurant. After lunch there are free cookies and lemonade available as well as free sodas, waters, and candy bars that are free at any time of the day. They have a wide selection of DVDs to choose from that are complimentary. They have a "Happy Hour" in the evening where you are treated to free wine, beer, or mixed drinks. The kayaks are a blast and are sitting on the beach for any guest to use, as the bikes are sitting out front for any guest to use. There are tons of things to do within a mile of this place, though when you there, you feel miles away from anything. This place has nearly a mile of beach that is only inhabited by its guests. Oh, and no kids are allowed that are under 25. So its REALLY quite and peaceful.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple