“Wonderful location and beautiful beaches”
Review of Camp Gulf

Camp Gulf
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We traveled to Camp Gulf in July 2013, based on the location to the beach. We fully understood the numerous rules of the camp ground prior to reserving. The check in was easy and gentleman guided us to our site. Our mistake was not to request a different site, we were located right next to the pool with no shade and noise. The customer service at the gift shop and front desk is lacking, considering the amount of money it cost to to rent a site. The bath houses were dirty. The pools are great and the Hippo slide is a ton of fun. I can't give an excellent rating based on the interaction at the front, gift shop and cleanliness of bath houses.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank kim636

Reviewed 3 July 2013

We stayed on one of the beach front sites, so the cost was around $200/night. Besides the beach front location, we were also attracted to what seemed like a decent number of activities... water slide, kids club, etc. Many of the activities cost extra. Not a lot extra, but when you are paying $200 a night for a parking site, it seems excessive at times. The bath house was really dirty... again a surprise at this price... and the laundry room stunk. On the upside, the campers around us were very friendly.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank CP M
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Was concerned initially about booking here, because of reviews, but we just stayed here for 5 nights, including a move of campsite because we stayed an extra night and we had a wonderful experience. Yes, there are a good many rules, but where are there not rules in this life and I believe the rules made for a better camping experience. This was our first ever beach camping experience and we would definitely come back here. The whole campground was very clean, the bath house was great. Loved showering after a long day at the beach with relaxing music overhead. A lot better bath houses than the mountain camping we have done over the years. We had wonderful customer service, Blake even went above and beyond with us and figuring out the tv/cable issue we had. This place is hopping and we moved sites because we chose to stay an extra night, check out is at 11 and check in is at 12. Our move went smoothly. These people move a lot of campers in and out and think that having to walk back to check in is minor. When they have 4 massive motor homes, fifth wheels, etc coming in at once everyone can't park at the check in site. 4 1/2 miles per hour was a little different speed, but have to say our kids were able to run around without the fear of being plowed down by a massive rv or speeding golf cart. When we go back we picked out a great site midway in the park with a large shade tree, recommend walking or riding around to pick out a spot you prefer for your next trip. Renting the golf cart was a must with all our beach gear and 5 kids in our group. It is a first come first serve basis, which was a little effort as we had to walk to front for rental two times, but no big deal. I would not personally want to stay right on beach due to sand and salt spray, but that is just a personal preference. Great pools north and south, great hippo slide, basketball courts, pool tables. Our kids ranged from 3-14 and they had a great time. Yes there are rules for them too, but they are within reason. I think it is just like good parenting. I know I have rambled about rules, negative reviews, but I just want others like me, middle class, hard working, family oriented family to know this is a great place to stay! Our group of two in their 60's (grandparents) and family of 5 and family of 4 had an awesome first beach camping trip. Would for sure go back here!!! Great family vacation for us!

Room Tip: We stayed at site 313 the first 4 night and loved it because it had a little shade. We moved to 422...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank RainH20family
PatrickONeill, General Manager at Camp Gulf, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! I am delighted that you had a great time and plan to return, that is why we are here. And thanks too for using this forum for positive constructive use. Yes, we have a strange speed limit (4 and 1/2 MPH). The reason is to get peoples attention. If it is a plain round number like 5 or 10 it is not eye catching. We are so used to the 25, 30, 35, 45... everywhere that when it is 5 MPH it goes unnoticed. We do use the speed board because they effectively measure slow speed, unlike the car/truck/RV speedometers. It is hard to "feel" 5 MPH. Long story summarized, we just want everyone to "Keep it under 5". I am so glad that you "Get it"! When folks want a safe place for the kids to run around, bike, skate board, scooter, or whatever the wheeled contraption is, then say they don't want a speed limit, then these are not compatible. We are seriously committed to SAFETY! Again, thanks for "Getting it"! Happy Camping

Reviewed 8 June 2013

We typically take our summer beach trip to Orange Beach and enjoy staying at a condo on the beach. This year we decided to try Camp Gulf in Destin since some in our family enjoy camping and would be able to park their camper on the beach. The rest of the family decided to book one of Camp Gulf's cabins. Let me first say that the beach was great. Beautiful sand and water and plenty of sunshine. For those who stayed in the camper on the beach the stay was great. For those of us who stayed in the cabin our experience was not so pleasant. The cabin is not big enough for more than two adults and a couple of children. The loft is a very tight space and it gets HOT. Unless you are a child you will not be able to stand up in the loft. On two different nights we were awaken by cock roaches crawling across us as we tried to sleep. It seems like pest control could be taken a little more serious. We rented one of the golf carts to move around the camp ground and we were given a cart and charger that actually caught on fire because the chord was taped up with duct tape in more than one spot. I was unable to locate anyone that night to notify of the fiery chord. We moved the cart away from our cabin to keep from having a worse problem. The next morning Sam helped and we found him to be the lone helpful staff member on site. Both swimming pools are on the small side. The hippo slide on site is not free for people staying at Camp Gulf which seemed unusual. It's pay by slide, day or stay. The office staff was unhelpful at best. The staff seemed to either not know or not care. When we checked out on our last morning we were only asked if we were paid up. No thank you or "how was your stay?" We turned in a comment card to which the lady simply said to put it on the desk. I seriously doubt it was read. We enjoyed our time at the beach and in Destin but Camp Gulf does not live up to what the Travel Channel makes it out to be. We will not be going back.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the cabin's lone bedroom you will be okay. The loft should not be expected...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank eys552

Thank you for taking the time to write a review (and a comment sheet as you left). Glad you had a safe trip home! We did read your comment sheet and in fact used it in our office staff meeting. There were many great reviews to be read with your one negative one. I discussed your issues with our Customer Service Manger Mary who told me that she had discussions with you as well (I hope you found those helpful, as she is a southern native sweet person too). First of all WE are sorry that your stay was not perfect. You can expect to receive compensation for your trouble in the mail soon. WE hope that you will reconsider returning. Please, allow me to address some of your comments. The Beach House cabin "The Sand Castle" which is directly on the beach was not available to reserve when you made your reservation because it was not finished and we wanted to make sure it was all it should be before it was rented. It is now open and it is magnificent! It sleeps 17 and is 3.5 times larger than the regular 400 square foot cabins. It is twice the price and is right on the beach, so it is more a desirable location without walking to the beach. We do spray for bugs regularly and there is bug spray in every cabin under the kitchen sink (the SUNNYBOOK Cabins page lists the location of the spray as does the website). We have had a very dry year and now the recent rains drove them inside. I know that these bugs are an unpleasant and unfortunate part of living in Florida. I hope that you reported the golf cart charger issue to us immediately as we would have replaced it. These carts and chargers are constantly out to guests, and it could have even been taped by one, though that is no excuse. If it was unsafe you should have been given a new charger. Your written comment sheet said that the golf cart itself caught fire but we now realize it was your charger. I noticed that you said the pools seemed small here, yet your written comment sheet says, "Your pools are great!" (additional emphasis not added by me, but you) As for the charge for the Hippo Slide; we do charge $10 for your entire stay. We do not add it to the campsite rental because not everyone wants to ride it and it is not available year round, so that would not be fair. If you check around the industry for charges on this slide you will find that it is standard to charge $20/day/person or $5/ride. We charge $10 for you entire stay, no matter how long! The slide cost was $80K. And it requires 2 full time employees to staff it. I hope you can see that a reasonable fee defrays some of the expense (electricity, water, and staff) for running it, not to mention that it has a limited lifespan and requires regular repairs. Lastly I would like to address your comments about our "unfriendliness and not being helpful" as you stated. You also said, "There we 5 families on your grounds in our group - and no one encountered anyone of your staff that was helpful or nice". I am going to have to say here that I find that really hard to believe. I apologize if anyone did not treat you in anyway that you would have preferred. I will admit that we do have many new employees that are seasonal (We hire many Workampers for the summer). We do have a training program and I can understand that when we are busy there is not always the time to stop and have exchanges of pleasantries, however to make a blanket statement that no one in your party encountered anyone nice...? Come on now..? I can attest that we have 40+ employees and many of them are extremely nice and very friendly to all the guests. Many of these are 'sweet southerners' as you say. And many would never utter a harsh word ever. I do know that at times when you begin to see the world a certain way, it seems everyone is against you. I admit that I myself am a hard customer to please at times and have fallen into the pity of 'no one is nice but me syndrome'. It is sometimes the attitude that you reflect to others that comes back to you. I do not mean to insult you but I just find it hard to believe people living and working in paradise can be so grumpy to just you, when so many leave here so pleased. And 75% of them return within 3 years! I hesitated to even bring this up because these websites seem to be magnets for complaints. I for one, am thankful for those willing to take the time to spread good news and not just bad. Thanks again for coming and WE hope to see you again!

Reviewed 2 May 2013

We found the campground to be very nice and clean and good location. The other campers we met were great! However, I have to give a negative review with regard to customer service. Although we found most of the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful, it was hit and miss. There were more than a few times we were made to feel as though we were a bother just being in the gift shop or club house.
My biggest issue and reason for not recommending Camp Gulf relates to our reservations. We rented an RV site as well as a cabin. The day of departure I called about the possibility of checking out of the cabin and doing a late checkout of our campsite to allow us to do some more sight seeing that day and pull out later in the day. She checked my sites and informed me if we did not check out by check out time we would be charged for the sites and there was no late check out offered. She told me where to drop off the keys. We packed everyone up and left both sites well ahead of checkout time and turned in the keys to the cabin.
I learned later I had already been charged for those nights. Their policy had not been fully disclosed to me prior to my payment and I accept responsibility for not being a fully informed consumer. However, I believe I was given several pieces of misinformation from different persons regarding the reservations. I had called 3 or 4 times after we left to discuss the issue. Each time the person with whom I needed to speak was either gone or unavailable and never returned my calls even though messages had been left. I finally did speak with the "manager" who told me it would take a few days to look into it but she would get back with me. That was in January 2013. It is now May 2013 and I have yet to hear from anyone. Like most everyone these days, I am busy and gave up on pursuing the issue. As a side note - I had been told by a friend of mine who is an avid RV'er and "frequent flyer" to the Destin area to NOT stay here. That there are much nicer and less expensive places to stay in the Destin area. I guess my next to trip to Destin I will heed his advice.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank Midwest13-13
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We camped here over our spring break and this place is very nice in the sense that it is right on the water....and the water and sand are as bright in person as on their pictures!!! We chose this place because it had full hookups, was on the beach, had an indoor and outdoor pool and had a big waterslide. The full hooks and beach were great!! The pools and slide were not. The indoor pool is so chlorinated your eyes will hurt within the first minute of being in the pool tent and then when you leave it hurts to breath. The outside pool was so cold the kids didn't even want to play in it. And they said the weather was too cold to blowup the waterslide. They claim to have wireless internet, but that is a total joke because it almost never worked. My kids loved it but I was disappointed for the price. Ultimately we probaby will come back because it has full hookups and is on the beach. Definitely over priced, but I guess its all about location, location, location.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cami99
Reviewed 22 April 2013

On a good note the staff were very friendly and helpful but that does not support the price vs value issues this outdated RV resort has. We had an upper campground site back from the beach and close by the pool and bath house. Upon arrival the staff guided us to our site and assisted with the parking of our giant fifth wheel monster! Hookups were convenient enough, however in order to lower our back levelers we had to stay on the concrete which prevented us from enjoying a full sewer hook up as our standard size hose would not reach. Same problem with the cable tv connection. The site was acceptable and level however. No fire ring is provided so be sure to bring your own, which we did! The beach is a short stroll away.

The covered and heated (?) pool lacked pool chairs and lounges and the worn out plaster could use a redue. Old and tired pool but the kids still enjoyed taking a quick dip. The grounds around the campground are sparse with beauty and the feeling is somewhat less than that of a nice state park. The activity center has a couple of old worn pool tables, something called carpet ball, an old fashioned tube type big screen tv with worn out and dated leather chairs surrounding it. the Xbox they advertise only had two games available for use from the late 90's. No surprise there! They do have a few card tables and an outdoor basketball court.

The bath houses were clean enough so no complaints about condition. However the bathrooms must have been an afterthought. Imagine sitting on the toilet and reaching for the toilet paper only to discover it's on the other side of the bathroom and out of reach. Yeah, that's what I thought so I have included a picture of this user unfriendly bathroom as proof I was not drinking why operating a toilet (-:

Would we return? Probably not. No fire ring, no BBQ, out dated facility and too pricey even for the wealthy who demand reasonable quality.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family