“Ok for the price”

Ranked #14 of 39 Hotels in Destin
Pace, Florida
“Ok for the price”
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We were looking for someplace to stay for one night for our wedding anniversary and ended up going with SummerPlace due to the price.

We told them we were coming for our anniversary so they told us on the phone we would be upgraded to a balcony room on the front facing the water for no additional charge. When we arrived (about 3:15) we were advised check-in wasn't till 4 but they would check to see if any rooms were ready and were asked to sit and wait. We didn't get to check-in till about 3:50 so I wouldn't say plan on being able to check-in early as you can most other places. When we got called up to check-in I double checked the rate on the bill and it was $30 higher than we were told on the phone. The clerk corrected the issue and gave me a new bill.

When we got to our room we were put in a 1 bedroom "suite" that did not have a balcony. We really wanted the balcony more than we did a "suite" so my wife went back downstairs to ask about moving. She was told then that the only balcony room they had available was on the second floor. I didn't figure that was high enough to see the water so we just stuck with what we had. Room was very small even for being considered a "suite". Had a separate bedroom from a sitting area. The sitting area had a couch and a chair with TV. Couch was very hard. Room and bathroom were both clean. The toilet in the bathroom is one of the lowest I have ever seen in my life! Very hard to sit on and get up from. The bed was by far the hardest bed I've ever slept on in my life. I woke up the next morning hurting all over as did my wife.

The hotel over all was very clean and I guess for the lower price I shouldn't complain but sleep comfort just wasn't there. I did complain about the bed at check-out and was told someone "the other night" had to have a piece of plywood put under it because it was too soft. I definitely know that wasn't the bed I slept on.

Room Tip: I strongly recommend calling them as you can get a cheaper price compared to what's listed on th...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Most importantly, I would like to say congratulations on your anniversay! As I can see in your review, the hotel certainly tried to excede your expectations by offering you complimentary upgrades, before you even arrived at the hotel. I am glad that they were able to get the complimentary upgrade charge taken care of prior to being billed as well. I'm sorry that you did not sleep well on our mattresses. This hotel does not have plywood available for use under beds - so I apologize for this miscommunication that you represent. This is not a complaint we typically receive, mainly because of the quality we use in comparison to other hotels. However, we each have different preferences - so I will definitely take into consideration having some different bed types available to guests such as yourself. Thank you again for taking the time to share about your expereince.

Mistelle Langen, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had a great stay at the summer place inn this summer. We got the the hotel early we asked if we could check in early and they had a room avaliable on the first floor close to the entrance. We have to very light sleepers so I adked if we could move to another room on the third floor and they were happy to accommodate. They checked us in early and we had a great stay. The rooms were cleaned everyday. Our kids Baffin in the pool every evening. They are so close to restaurants and entertainment. The beach is across the main highway so we drove to the beach everyday. If our kids were older or it was just adults we could have walked. The staff keeps everything so clean. We had a great time and we will be back!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank deepulley
Thank you so much for taking note of the pride with which we represent our hotel. We are always happy when we know our guests are as happy as they can be - and it sounds like we did a great job! I will be sharing your comments with our entire staff, as their pride in their work and the hotel they work for clearly shows in the way the hotel is maintained and presented. This will definitely make their day! We hope in the future we will be able to take care of you and your family again! Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need anything at all!

Foley, Alabama
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Our experience was fantastic! When we arrived around noon I thought I would give early check-in a try, but was doubtful that it would work considering we were four hours early. However, I was pleasantly surprised when Jefferson at the front desk said our room was ready! If you are lucky enough to check in with Jefferson at the front desk, be prepared to have the best check-in experience you've ever had! He was very polite, helpful, and seriously entertaining! Our two sons wanted to take him home with us!

The two pools were not very large, but they were just what we needed! After a day at the beautiful beach (public access is just across the street) the indoor pool was a nice retreat from the sun! The outdoor pool has a nice fountain and hot tub, too.

Our room was very clean! The beds were nice and comfortable! The only two complaints I had was that the refrigerator didn't get very cold, and the hair dryer was kind of gross. Luckily I brought my own hair dryer.

The location is perfect! Right across the street from public access to the beach, next door to The Track amusement park. A playground is located just behind the hotel (I https://hosted72.renlearn.com/707625/ it's a public park). Restaurants line the street... I recommend the Pancakery or the Donut Hole for breakfast if you don't want the free continental breakfast which was fine for a free breakfast!

All in all, we'd stay here again in a heart beat!

2 Thank Katie N
I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your detailed review of SummerPlace Inn. I can't wait to share with Jeff about your comments - as I know this will make his day! It is always so much appreciated when we know our hard work has not gone unnoticed - and to have you take the time to share such positives about us really blows us away. We can't wait to take care of you again and we hope to see you soon!

Joplin, Missouri
Reviewed 8 August 2011

During our stay at SummerPlace Inn we had a truly wonderful experience. The staff were all very accomondating and pleasant to deal with. The rooms were perfect. The beds were clean and comfortable. The decor and painting throughout was all new in appearance. This is a wonderful place to stay. You will not be disappointed at all. At checkout I asked the gentleman at the front desk if there was a local car wash nearby so that I could vacuum the sand out of my car before my trip home. This hotel attendant dropped what he was doing, grabbed a dyson and an extension cord and let me use it... Please take care of the place if you stay because we are definitely coming back.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room that faces the Gulf. These rooms are great.
3 Thank Traveler344532
Nashville
Reviewed 4 August 2011

We enjoyed our stay and would come back! The room was nice and large , pool nice breakfast was ok it would be nice to have hot meat (bacon etc.) but you will not starve remember BUDGET! can't beat it !

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank ifixhair
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed 4 August 2011

Decent hotel.. close to stuff.. worth 130/nite in season and about 75 off season.. any more perhaps go some other place.. Do not repeat do not stay at Sleep inn.. absolutely pitiful. Checked room first.. Jason Worhees, Freddy Kruger and Michael Myers would not ever stay there. : P

Room Tip: always negotiate and be strong... walk away from high price.. go in Sept. rates go down.. Roomsaver...
Reviewed 31 July 2011

We got this great hotel in destin for a really good price. Other hotels were twice as much. The room was big and clean and had a great view of the area. We were in walking distance to the beach and many restaurants. The breakfast area was a bit small but the food was tasty- other than that this was a great stay for the money

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank Byrne-Sweeney
mistellelangen, General Manager at SummerPlace Inn Destin FL Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2011
Thank you so much for taking the time to share about your experience. We love having large groups and families and making sure we help make great memories of your vacation. We had a great time watching your family celebrate! We hope to see all of you again next year!!!